Fender Japan paisley tele serial numbers

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by martin1964, Apr 30, 2014.

1. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

I'm interested in buying a JV (1982-1984) or 1985-86 A-serial Paisley Telecaster. I've been spending a lot of time comparing the early models, new models and those in between. Ok so we know a 1982-1984 will have a JV prefix serial number stamped on the bridge with Made in Japan on the lower back of the neck. A 1985-1986 will have an A prefix serial number stamped on the bridge and Made in Japan on the neck too. Moving forward to 1997 there are both Made in Japan and Crafted in Japan (one or the other) on the neck and the serial number on the neck also.

I've come across something I just cannot understand. The first photo below is of a bridge from a 1996 with an A prefix serial number and Made in Japan on the neck with no serial number on the neck ! The second photo is a 2002 with an A serial number on the bridge also however the seller of this guitar has confirmed the neck says Crafted in Japan (as it should) with a P prefix serial number under the words Crafted in Japan. The new Paisley Telecasters are back to Made in Japan on the neck with a serial number on the neck also with no serial number on the bridge, I think.

So I've come across one from 1996 and one from 2002 with an A serial bridge, the 1996 has Made in Japan on the neck only and the 2002 has an A serial bridge with Crafted in Japan on the neck and a P prefix serial number on the neck. The serial numbers on the bridge don't correlate with the numbers on the neck obviously.

Finally here are the auctions to confirm what I'm saying.
    Fender Paisley Telecaster 50th Anniversary 1996 Superb Guitar | eBay

Here is the auction of the 2002, seller has confirmed neck has Crafted in Japan and a P prefix serial number on the neck.

2002 Fender 69 Reissue Paisley Telecaster Japan 1969 RI Tele Pink | eBay

Comments welcome, this is driving me crazy :confused:

Attached Files:

2. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

no serial # info handy, sorry - but here's my '86 Paisley Tele.

[​IMG]

3. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Looks like I've found the answer. I found a post from a guy on TDPRI and according to him all of the 1985 - 2006 Fender Japan Telecasters have an A prefix number on the bridge plate.

4. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Thanks. Could you please have a look at the lower back of your guitar's neck and tell me what you see ? If it's a 1986 it will have Made in Japan on the neck but is there a serial number under that ? Thanks.

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Yep, that's the impression I have got too. I don't know if it's as simple as that, but A serial numbers on these Teles were certainly used for a lot more than a year or two, despite the claims of the Fender website. But try telling that to the people who sell A serial number Teles on eBay & insist they are from 1985, even when they clearly are not.

Fender Japan must have bought one huge load of A serial number Tele bridge plates!

6. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

I'm glad I've found this out today as there is a guy selling one in Australia and I came close to buying it. Looks like new and because it has an A prefix number on the bridge and Made in Japan on the neck I assumed it was from 85-86. The seller like many others is pushing the A serial as if it automatically means it's from 85 ! I did find a photo today, see below. It shows a MIJ Paisley with a T serial number on the neck (2007-2010). The question I'm working on now is when did Fender Japan first start putting a serial number on the necks of their MIJ Telecasters ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  7. stratman323

I bought an MIJ 62 Telecaster, new, in London in 1989. It has an A serial number on the bridge plate.

8. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Can you recall if it had a serial number on the back of the neck ?

9. stratman323

The neck was damaged & replaced a few years back, but I clearly remember that it didn't have a serial number on the back of the neck. It's on the bridge plate.

10. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

Thanks. So from that I can assume that the first time they put a serial number on the neck is after 1989. I've edited one of my posts above as the photo showing the T serial number was on a 2008 paisley. Perhaps the first paisleys to have a number on the neck is 1997 when the Crafted in Japan started.

11. Brad

Brad New Member!

My 1985-86 Pink Paisley telecaster is marked "Made in Japan" at the heel of the neck on the back. There is no serial number underneath it. My serial number begins with "A" and is located forward of the saddle a half inch angled on the bridge plate.
    If there is any other serial numbers begining with "A", they are either newer models or are marked "crafted in japan" instead of " made in japan", also the new 2000 and newew models are marked made in japan and may or may not come with an A serial prefix.
    So to be clear, to be an authentic 1985-86 model fender "made in japan" 68/69 reissue....it has to say made in japan, and serial has to start with an "A".

12. Brad

Brad New Member!

Also the older they are the "pink" starts turning like a light burnt peach color. If they are newer they will be really pinkish colored.

13. stratman323

It's not as simple as that. MIJ Teles with an A serial number were made for many years, presumably until they used up all the A stamped bridge plates. The MIJ bound 62 Teles were very common over here in the late 80s, & I bought mine in late 1989. Mine has an A serial number, but these weren't hanging around in the shops long enough for it to be old stock from 1985/6. The only logical explanation is that they used up the bridge plates, & when they were gone, they changed serial numbers. The Paisley Teles are less common than the 62s, but in total they must have made many thousands of them. They were the affordable, budget Fender of the late 80s & early 90s.