Fender Jazz Standard Five String?

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by rocks, Mar 9, 2009.

1. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Anyone here know anything about the MIM standard jazz bass 5 strings? Someone was telling me that some of the fender 5 strings had neck issues and I'm looking at buying a used one locally. If anyone knows if the MIM's have any neck issues please let me know.

2. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

no, not that ive heard

know u guy whos got one, he has no issues

3. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory Strat-Talker

The issue with the necks is with the 5 in a line tuners. The necks sometimes develope a crack at the B string tuner. The same thing sometimes occured on american fenders as well. It's easily repaired with CA glue, but not really that common.

4. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I ended up getting a squire jazz 5 string, they are on sale for $199 and I found one that played better than the fender 5 strings, so its mine now.

5. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Found one used at GC, recently (can't remember the price), and intead bought a 2008 NOS MIM Jazz for $399.00 + tax.

6. Jazzy Strat T

Jazzy Strat T Strat-Talk Member

Only issue I've run into on MIM and MIC Squier jazz 5's is that they don't like D'addario strings. I think D'addario has changed something in their manufacturing. They seem to place more tension on the necks than in years previous. You have to max out the truss rod to keep the neck straight. I'll never use D'add's again.