Fender Kind of Ticks Me Off

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jtoomuch, Mar 7, 2020.

1. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I don't know what the Fender "deluxe" gig bag is like but, I aways buy a quality gig bag for my guitars. My Eric Johnson strat cam in a beautiful hard shell case. I would never bring that case to a gig. The gig bag (a mono m80) offers great protection, and is much easier to haul around than a case. (it also costs more than any hard case I've ever bought).

2. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Strat-Talk Member

Unless the guitar is something odd, like my Roland G-707, I prefer not getting a case included at all. I already have fairly nice cases for strats, and don't see the need to pay for another one, even if the price of the case is buried in the price of the guitar.

Chipss36 likes this.
  3. pickup

pickup New Member!

I recently bought a Fender bass and didn’t come with a bag or case, but I did get 10% off the price of the case with buying the guitar.

4. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

It's a John Mayer thing, not a PRS thing. Even the original John Mayer Strats came with a hard bag, which by the way costs more than I'd EVER pay for a bag.

5. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

the 1950 139 = $1492 today
    the 1957 Strat 274 = to $2552
    the 1964 Mustang 189 = to $1577

My 2013 Mexi-Tele 499.00 = $554 Still a great buy with soft gig bag and a free pick
    My 2015 Epiphone Special with factory P-90's $99.00, no bag, box

6. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Not whining, just venting as I said. Yeah $1250.00 with a HSC would be fine with me. In any case, I appreciate your unwarranted and inappropriate hostility. You must be a great guy.

dante1963 and FuzzFace90 like this.
  7. FuzzFace90

FuzzFace90 Strat-Talker

Hey, “that guy” showed up! Look everybody, he wants us to know he’s here.

dante1963 and jtoomuch like this.
  8. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

I have a question: this $1,100 price that has become the bellwether for this thread... is that list, or retail?

9. jtoomuch

Fender list is $1149.99

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

Never feed the trolls.

FuzzFace90 likes this.
  11. FuzzFace90

FuzzFace90 Strat-Talker

I know, I know, but it felt so good lol.

Nice firebird btw! I’ve always wanted one, but I hardly see them in them in the wild.

dante1963 likes this.
  12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Lmao
    You mean cites?
    Hardly a Obama thing

13. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

:)

Thanks! I love that Firebird. I upgraded the pickups to Mojotone Johnny Winter pickups, so it sounds more (to my ears, anyway) like the original Firebirds. And it has sustain for days.

FuzzFace90 likes this.
  14. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Epiphone Was including a $130 hard shell case with their Les Paul Custom Pro that retailed $599. Now the guitar is $679 and you get nothing. They even stopped ebony and rosewood fretboards this year. I bought mine last year as a return it was a 18 with ebony board but as a return it was almost the $599 of two years ago. It's plain to see it's that they are able to do so and move product. When I bought a new Fender at 2K including tax I did get a really nice hard-shell included. Get less and pay more sadly each year unless you go used. Let them compete with themselves.

15. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-Talker

The exact opposite is true...
    But I get it, facts have zero to do with this thread...

16. bluesman53

bluesman53 New Member!

WHAT A GREAT SUGGESTION!!!. While I'm amazed that the complaints are based on buying the guitar and only getting a "gig" bag vs. HSC, I guess I know that when I'm thinking about buying the guitar I'm looking at. SO, either I buy it or I don't. Then I read your suggestion and thought, How simple a solution is that!!! :) Hopefully Fender and other's see this a make it available to us. Cheers Mate!

rcsrich likes this.
  17. Glob

Glob New Member!

Suhr did the same for me a few years back on a lovely modern strat-a-like even though I had to lay out more than £!500 (not dollars sadly).

18. ReedRainey

ReedRainey Strat-Talk Member

I'm also a fan of the American Performer Series guitars, especially the Telecaster Hum in Vintage White, but every time I've seen an ad for it, it clearly tells me that it comes with a gig bag. Knowing that, getting a hard case is assumed. If you were in a hurry and didn't thoroughly read the ad you responded to, that may be why you were peeved. But the truth man, $1100 ain't a lot for a guitar, unless you're used to buying Epiphones over Gibsons or low-ball guitars that you end up having to invest several hundred bucks to replace the pickups and all the wiring. I know, I bought an Epiphone 4 years ago and spend way too much upgrading it. With the Performer Strat, the first thing I'd be doing is popping off the pickguard and checking out the pots and capacitors. The pickups would get a good look-over, too. If you're happy with the tone and mechanics of your Strat wo replacing anything, there's the deal I'd be focusing on. All you had to do to be happy was to buy a hard case for it? You're lucky. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to turn it into an Elite through upgrades. Be happy; quit ur *****in'!

19. jtoomuch

Thanks. I did know when I bought the guitar that it came with a gig bag, and planned on buying a HSC. I just think the guitar is worthy of it. I am well aware that Fender makes more expensive and better guitars. I have zero desire to even take a screwdriver to the guitar. The Performer was what I could afford. Turns out I love the guitar just the way it is. TO ME,at least the Yosemite pups sound great. I also really like being able to use just the bridge and neck without the middle. Chords are full bodied and the top rings out nicely. Again, I am extremely happy with it. It's MIA Strat which is just what I wanted. Fit and finish are flawless, the satin neck feels great. I love the guitar. Maybe someday a higher priced Strat but more likely a Tele. I already have a Strat that I am very content with.

20. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

jtoomuch likes this.