Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Lead 1

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gjohnson441496, Jun 26, 2018.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

The past 2 months I've been interested in purchasing a guitar with a single P90. The Les Paul junior was a consideration but I'm really hesitant about buying a guitar that doesn't allow intonation at the bridge. I've considered the Gary Clark Jr. SG since it has locking tuners and intonation at the bridge but after playing one I realized I prefer the tone of the LP Jr.

Then I came upon the Fender Strat Lead 1. Played it, loved it, want one, and GC has one for $650. I'm sure I can talk em down as they are always willing to negotiate. I've never seen this guitar before. I asked the sales guy was it some kind of Frankenstein. It's everything I was looking for in every way AND it's a Fender Strat so I know it will stay in tune (I have a Gretsch that I love, but it goes out of tune after about 3 songs or so).

Are any of you familiar with this guitar? Are there any players of this one on this forum? The only drawback as far as I can tell is the weight, but I play bass on a 70's P bass so, I can deal with a 9 pound Strat. I'm just curious about what ya'll think about this guitar.

[​IMG]

Bellingjam likes this.
  2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

I haven't seen one of those in many years. I had one in my teens, and from what I remember it was a very nice guitar. (Take that for whats its worth, I was young and inexperienced)

That said, $650 is far too high an asking price.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    gjohnson441496 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I haven't seen one in many years either, hopefully it will be an equally long time before I see one again. Much too expensive for a mediocre guitar.

Neil.C, gjohnson441496 and TheDuck like this.
  4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    I used to own one (a 1981 model) but sold it in 2014 for $533 on eBay (there were of course fees taken off my profits)...

1981 Lead I.png

It was a solidly built guitar with a fat baseball bat neck and heavy ash body.

The pickup was super hot but also fairly clear no matter how much distortion you threw at it. I seem to recall that it was designed by Seth lover.

I'd say it's main downfall is that it looks like a cheap knockoff of a Fender!

It's also somewhat limited (soundwise) too, which is why I sold mine. Even though you can get some "okay" clean sounds with the various switching options, it's best used as a Total Rock Machine!

The tuners were rather cheap as well, but still functional.

Anyway, if you are looking for something like this I can attest to it as being of fairly decent quality for a lower end model at the time. I can't say I really "miss" it, but I'm also glad I had experienced one at the same time... so there's that...

Good Luck!

`

gjohnson441496 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

You could cheaply and easily slap an adjustable intonation bridge onto a Les Paul Junior, and have that classic P-90 GOODNESS! A Fender branded Humbucker or ANY humbucker, for that matter, will NEVER sound like a P-90! Although, I guess you could pop a humbucker sized/shaped P-90 type (like a P-94) into that Strat!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Elvie, Neil.C and gjohnson441496 like this.
  6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

That's not a "Strat".
    The Leads, I, II and III are their own thing.
    I don't believe they ever came with a tremolo/vibrato.

I installed a Kahler on at least two of them ...

perttime and gjohnson441496 like this.
  7. gjohnson441496

Total rock machine is what I'm after. :)

AxemanVR likes this.
  8. gjohnson441496

I like the idea of an adjustable intonation bridge on the LP Jr. I wonder why Gibson didn't install them on it?

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    As far as what it's worth, all I can say is this: If it were a 1979-81 Fender Strat it would definitely be worth it for $600+- but since it's a somewhat obscure model then it will never be looked at with the same value, despite having many of the same features (namely the ash body, maple neck, and various hardware appointments).

But, alas, it's not a Strat, so adjust what it's worth to you accordingly...

`

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Well Sir,
    A P-90 equipped Les Paul Junior/Special is about as close to what you are after as you'll ever get! If not familiar, give a listen to Pat Travers, Leslie West, etc! A BadAss style bridge is readily available from many manufacturers, in various qualities, materials, brands, features and prices!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098WW9GY/?tag=strattalk05-20
    badass style wraparound bridge
    Best Of Rockin' To Ya!
    Gene

11. gjohnson441496

That's cool. I'm not looking for any resale value or futurestock in from it. Although it is in my price range, based on the responses here I'll definitely try to get it for around $500 - $550 after tax.

12. gjohnson441496

Excellent! Thanks for the link. For a few dollars more I can get a brand new LP jr. Based on the advice, I think I'll save up for the Les Paul Jr. Strangely I like the yellow ones.

I'm convinced! Thanks all.

Neil.C and circles like this.
  13. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

might want to look at a LP special and get 2 p-90s

14. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I had the sister model - the Lead II (with 2 single coils instead of the humbucker) for decades. I got mine new in November 1979, and finally let it go in 2015.

I agree that $650 is too much for a Lead in the current market - but as long as it's functional and a good player it would probably be worth trying to get the price down.

My local Guitar Center also seems to be a repository of oddballs from my high school/early college days - they've got a 1980 Ovation UK II hanging up on the wall, also at a price that's about $200 too high so it will likely be hanging there for quite a while.

15. gjohnson441496

I saw one online! Haven't seen one in GC, though. I'd have to play one before biting the bullet. I was dead set on the Gary Clark Jr. with 3 P90's until I compared it to the LP Jr. What's your opinion on the LP special?

16. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

Yep. It is not a Strat. It is a Lead. Unfortunately I haven't got one in my hands in recent years. Specs indicate pretty narrow nuts which isn't ideal for me, with slightly strange joints on my ring fingers.

17. gjohnson441496

Yep. I updated the post title to Fender Lead 1. Totally different animal than the Strat. I did like the fat neck on it. That may be a result of playing 70's P bass all my life.

18. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

well it's basically the same as a JR but has 2 pickups. i personally like options tonally so having 2 pups is better. i'm a fan of the early double cut version mysef though the LP style is fine and so is the SG style. if you liked the JR then no reason you wouldn't like the special

19. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

I’m a big Special fan. I use an old raggedy DC Special with a set of Lollar P90’s, and it could honestly be my only guitar. (If I had to) A single pickup Jr is really cool and you can do a lot with one, but a neck P90 is something, well, Special!

Something else to throw at you, I also have a newer 2016 60’s Tribute, P90 equipped. They’re killer guitars for the money. Can’t replace the Special though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.