Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Lincoln Brewster VS American Ultra Series Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Nov 8, 2019.

1. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Birthday gift soon from my lovely wife! I can't decide between these 2! :D I've already tried the LB Strat and it does fantastic. Mid-boost is really usable in live usage but main issue is that the neck pickup's fully wide open and you cannot use the tone knob. I also do NOT like the color but the overall comfort and ease of playing's really awesome.

I have not tried the Ultra yet as our local stores does not have it yet. My concern with this is mostly the pups, and the neck. The previous Elite has very muffled and non-vintage tone so I dunno if Ultra still has that problem. This new series also has slimmer D profile which based from the demo videos are catered to more 'fast' players which I'm not.

Both have compound radius so it is the best of both worlds but 10" for Ultra seems a bit flat? Not sure.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...erican-ultra-stratocaster-hss/0118020795.html
    [​IMG]

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/lincoln-brewster-stratocaster/0116502778.html
    [​IMG]

What's your thoughts folks?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    diogoguitar and circles like this.
  2. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

I haven't tried any of the models myself.
    Judging by the look, I would go with the Lincon one.

Nick-O likes this.
  3. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

I have owned a couple of Eric Clapton strats with the mid-boost. I never used the mid-boost because it muddied up the sound too much for my taste. I don't care for active electronics in a guitar. I would go for the new Ultra. The D neck on the Ultra sounds appealing as well.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  4. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

I would love to try the LB. Only post CBS Fender product I have been attracted to for ages. I am sure either would make a great gift though.

valvestate likes this.
  5. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

The LB is a really nice looking guitar and I watched a guy playing it on a video and it really sounded sweet, but no way could I buy it without checking the Ultra out first. But if I could get any guitar I wanted to day it would be the American Original 50's I grew up playing the old fenders when they were not a big deal yet in the later 60's and 70's and I just think that is the closest guitar I have heard to that original sound. But that's just my opinion and I would love to have either one of the guitars you are looking at. I'm one of a few I guess that never met a fender that I didn't like. But congrats on getting a new guitar man, Enjoy

valvestate likes this.
  6. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

The LB is likely the next guitar I'll own. Haven't seen the finishes of the Ultra's in person, but I've held a LB and that gold top is sublime.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

valvestate likes this.
  7. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thanks for the response.

Did you notice if the neck pickup was trebly? One of my main gripe's the inability to adjust the tone knob on neck.

Will the finish of the LB Strat will easily weat of due to Gloss Lacquer finish?

8. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

:cool: thanks!

Unfortunately, both of these guitars are not yet in our local store so I have to wait for a number of weeks.

I actually tried the American Original 50s also in Aztec Gold but the neck was really big for my palm. Great sounding guitar!

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed - 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

@valvestate: Try them both and see which works best for you. There's not a lot of difference between 9.5" radius and 10" radius - with the compound radius you're only getting 9.5" radius for the first few frets before the conical transition gets to 10" radius on the 9.5"-14" compound radius. But as I say you have to play them, as that conical transition will be a little different since it is starting from a little bit flatter space.

valvestate likes this.
  10. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

They do have a chunkier neck on them, but I don't really mind if myself. My first guitar was a old 49 Kay flat top so I'm used to that. I still have that old guitar now. I don't think you will go wrong with either of the guitars you are looking at.

valvestate likes this.
  11. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Original 50s are sweet!

12. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

I didn't play it plugged in. I just held it and marveled at how pretty it was. :) The one I held had a finish that was every bit as nice as any Les Paul GT I've seen.

valvestate likes this.
  13. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

If you don't like slimmer necks, you might not like the neck on the new Ultra (I've tried one, and I don't like it lol). The LB strat has that nice soft V profile that fills your hand.
    As for the pickups, I personally love the sound from the DiMarzio Areas, they are so much more lively and dynamic than the noiseless pickups on the Ultra.
    Like I said in my PM, you don't need to worry about the neck pickup being too trebly, the Areas have that natural warmth to them.

valvestate likes this.
  14. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

btw, does this Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish really easily fade even with moderate usage ? How can I avoid with it not having any of its paint to peel off or crack. All my strats were in Poly so not I have no experience with this finish.

15. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

It’s pretty simple to add the bridge pickup to the 2nd tone pot. That wouldn’t stop me from buying an otherwise great guitar.

16. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

It's actually the NECK pickup that does NOT have the tone connected to. :cool:

17. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Is this specific to the LB model?
    Traditional Strat wiring wires tone to the middle and neck, and the "Delta" and other more recent models wire tone to the bridge and neck.

18. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Havent Tried the Lincoln Brewster...

Or the Marty Stevens....

Or the Terry Williams.

Maybe one day.

19. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

IME the nitro on Fenders does wear pretty quickly with moderate usage over time, much more than Gibson as an example.

They probably use a different recipe.

If you don't like apparent wear I would steer clear of nitro Fenders.

20. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

That sucks then... sucks also to have an OCD with guitars... I guess I will have to go with Ultra or even the Player Series :oops:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.