Fender MIJ ST-54 or 62?? Photos

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ogner, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

Hello, I'm new here and I'm from Brazil, but I always read the topics here!

Well, I bought a MIJ Fender with the serial S038054, as a 54 RI, but when I took the neck to make an adjustment, I found something strange markings.

I am sending pictures to you take a look and opinions.

Thanks if you can help me!!

Attached Files:

Ubermuzik likes this.
  2. mijstratsq

mijstratsq Senior Stratmaster

looks like you have a 54 neck and a 62 body.im not sure if they did that at the factory or if its been done by a previous owner.sorry im not much help.they may have used 62 bodies on 54 ri guitars but i would think the body contours are a little diff.it wouldnt surprise me if they did becouse i dont think they are exact reissues.the body is done like a 50s strat are there extra holes under the pick gaurd?

3. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

thanks for the help!!

No, the holes in the body maches whith the pick guard. The body is 100% Nitro finish.
    is really strange. I can not imagine that the factory would do this, hehehe!!!

The photos seem to be a body of a 62 and still has the EX which is a series called EXTRA.
    The hardware and the electrical is Fender for shure!!

More photos.

Attached Files:

4. mijstratsq

one thing you can count on is mij guitars are not consistant by any means.

5. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

Uhmmm...Yeah!! Thx!!

Here in Brazil, the tha MIJ RI are highly valued, mostly more expensive than the standard MIM.I bought this for a U$ 1,150,00 converted to U.S. dollars, a new one American Standard costs U$2,100,00 to compare....Yeahh, very expensive to import!! hehe!!

But anyway i m very happy whith this frankstein MIJ, hehehe. its sound great, like Fender should be, for shure. Uhmmm, the body is probably basswood, im not shure.

I made some recordings with it.
    YouTube - Clone Vegas 8 - Acedo 276 Fender MIJ 54 - Ógner
    YouTube - Blue Noise Solo Contest_Ógner

Thx again!!

6. mijstratsq

sounds realy good, who cares if its a parts caster it friggen sounds great so do you thanks for the post.

7. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

You got the tone in the fingers........congrats on the guitar and really nice playing! Really enjoyed listening.

8. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

Almost certainly a MIJ RI-54, as the neck is maple. I know the real 62 has slight changes in the body, but for production the most likely did just one style RI body and changed the parts that show: Neck, pickguard, etc...

Either way, it's a sweet Strat with a Nitro finish! Who can complain about a white Strat?

9. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

thaus:
    I am very grateful for your comment.
    Thank you!

Tele like it is:
    The "real 62" that you mean is the American 62, that has the chambers, right?

10. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

Not chambers, changes... The contours on the body were altered slightly, by angle and degree.

11. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

Ohhhh, sorry!! Right!!
    I was thinking it was strange, I had never heard about it. hehehe
    Thx!

12. sneakypete

sneakypete Senior Stratmaster

I have never seen a FJ with an English date like that in the neck pocket. Markings should match on the neck and body. I don`t see anything in the model number that would point to high end which could mean lacquer...not always though. If it`s a reissue...whats it a reissue of ?...a `57 or a `62 ? I have never seen any Fender Japan called a reissue by the Japanese, not stamped as a reissue either. If it is a order made it should say so in the neck pocket...it doesn`t...I mention that because shops have guitars made to any specs they want so could be a `57 neck/`62 body though that would be a first for me however I am frequently surprised by Fender Japan. The markings I do see look like those I often see in my guitars. How about the electronics?

13. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

Hey, sneakypete! Sorry for the delay.
    Yes, very well observed, I do not remember seeing the date in English!! Uhmmm!
    researching this site:
    50's reissue, '54 Reissue, '57 Reissue, Fender Stratocaster, Made n Japan, Crafted in Japan
    I think it is a '54 -"These were based on the 1950's pre-CBS '54 and '57models. As far as I can see the only difference is the string tree: round for a '54, butterfly type for a '57" , its round string tree here!!

How about the electronics?
    Well, looks like the photos that topic:
    MIJ_Strat :: pickups.jpg picture by laserblack - Photobucket

Topic:
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/str...m/9968-mij-54-reissue-help-needed-please.html

But i change the pot of volume, it was small. like the others...And my pickups dont have this magnets under the p'ups.

Attached Files:

14. sneakypete

unfortunately the Blackman site is missing data on many Fender Japan guitars, it`s not a site I go to for accurate information.
    Small pots , if I`m not mistaken...and I could be...started in the mid/late `90s...none of my `80s FJs have small pots or plastic switches...and my early `90s models do not either. But most of mine are either custom editions, shop orders with an ExTrad for good measure so they are not regular production models, I have only one CIJ strat so the info I have gathered over the years covers mainly FJs from the `80s or early `90s...not really interested in the stuff they make these days or what they built after the nid `90s...in general...always exceptions because of order mades...but production models, nah...we have better choices over here for the same money.

15. sneakypete

yeah, the neck is based on a `54...but the body isn`t...looks to me like it has been put together by somebody and not by anyone at a FJ factory...and Fender Japans are and have been build in more than one plant so oddballs are not that rare. And we can see the electronic in the picture you posted and the link shows different p`ups. But I can`t see yours from the photos you put up.

16. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

Very nice stuff, Ogner. Your fingers were coaxing some great sweet spots out of that guitar. She's a keeper.

17. fenson

fenson ----------------------

The 54 neck was a thick hard V and all 54 where 2 tone bodies I think.

If the neck is real thick then it would be designated properly. Could have been a guitar the factory put together in a rush to fill a ST57 order IMO ?!

To the OP I am pretty sure EX stands for EXPORT not EXTRA . does a magnet stick to the block ?

18. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

The 54 neck was a thick hard V
    Yes, its a hard V, diferent of my Classic Series 50's that is soft V...

and all 54 where 2 tone bodies I think
    definitely, this is not the body of a 54...

does a magnet stick to the block ?
    Uhmmm, i dont think so!!! Do you have any photos of this magnetic!?

Thx.

19. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Sorry I meant to say can a small magnet like the ones people use to place things on refrigerators Etc. , will a small magnet stick to the tremolo block. You see the special models what where nitro came with Gotoh vintage tremolos with steel blocks and the other lesser models came with blocks that where non magnetic , made from Zinc. Your guitar is very nice I am not tring to put it down, Just tring to figure what it is or may be!:)

20. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

Sorry I meant to say can a small magnet like the ones people use to place things on refrigerators Etc. , will a small magnet stick to the tremolo block
    Hahuheuhauhe!!Sorry, my bad!! Im think its Zinc..The magnet does not stick!

Your guitar is very nice I am not tring to put it down, Just tring to figure what it is or may be!
    Sure, and I greatly appreciate your help. And don´t worry, this MIJ will stay with me until the end. I love it!! And this is the reason that makes me look for more informations about it..
    but I'm thinking that it was well changed.