Fender MIJ ST-54 or 62?? Photos

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ogner, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jflintmac

jflintmac Most Honored Senior Member

I'm definately not up to date on my MIJ knowledge but I do see white paint on the neck and from what I can see, there looks to be no other color. That says to me that if this neck was changed, it was done when the guitar was quite new, or that the neck came off of a white guitar???
    Just a thought...
    Generally, if a neck is not original, you can see some sort of tell tale sign...
    Can't you?

2. Ogner

Ogner Strat-Talk Member

Hey..CSI staff here!!!:) good one!! I just don´t know about the painting. I just watched now that you commented! hehehe!! perhaps even the same color as the guitar, which is very light yellow!! who knows!? later I'll take the neck agian, and I will check this!!! I dont remember what color is...In this picture I can not identify the colors.

"Just a CLEVER thought..."

Thx..

EDIT: I'll check the signs carefully!

3. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Strat-Talker

Well Played Ogner, well played sir!

Thats an ST-54. As far as I can tell, the difference is in the single ply vs 3 ply pickguard. Also... Ive never seen an ST-54 with a rosewood neck. (but there ARE St-62's with maple necks!)

Im no expert though. Ive only lived here about 6 years, and I only came back to strats last year. So most of what Ive learned I learned from whats in the stores here (new and used)... and of course from those here at ST that know more than I.

Play on bluesman!

4. Ubermuzik

Ubermuzik Strat-Talk Member

I’ll start by saying this is an edit. I was half asleep apparently . Your 62 body was made in 1998 , not 1984 as would be an E series. Ironically mine is an 1984 MIJ Strat.
    57 maple neck, 62 body also Nitro ,and wood is very heavy, definitely not basswood .
    You got very lucky my friend. Almost all were 57 maple necks with 62 bodies. What does the headstock say ? What series ? Possibly JV neck on an E series body ? I mean you really lucked out. I would love to see the electronics in the body,and headstock. It’s a maple neck that I already know. It’s possibly you have USA electronics . Could you please tear off the pickguard,and take closeups of electronics. Stackpole were used in 54 as pups, but as were talking about the neck. Interesting. It must be a JV neck. 100% sure it’s maple. Here’s mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 8:45 PM
  5. Ubermuzik

Ubermuzik Strat-Talk Member

He’s referring to the neck being 54, not the body. It clearly indicates a 54 maple neck on a 62 body ( most likely an E series ) . Then again maybe all JV ...