Fender Mim for a Squier

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Biddlin, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I'm actually thinking of trading in my 2001 MiM Strat on a new Squier Amber burst/ Indian Laurel fb.
    Have I lost my mind?

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Really, there is more than monetary value to be considered. One of my favorite guitars to play is a Squier Contemporary Stratocaster HH Active with an Indian Laurel board that i traded my Fender Showmaster Scorpion for because the Showmaster didn't inspire me anymore where the new one does.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

No. It could be a good swap.

4. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

Only you can decide that .

Antstrat and Biddlin like this.
  5. Biddlin

I knew I could count on you guys to be the voices of reason, lol, but I do believe that inspiration affects function. I like the Squier's look, the 22 fret neck and the two point trem. The MiM is worth about $325 US I reckon and the new Squier is selling for $299.99 so money wise it's not much difference. If I had somewhere to hide it from the missus, I'd buy the squier and keep the MiM.;)

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Edit: I actually thought the OP was talking about a Squier Classic Vibe model before posting this, but it has since became apparent that it’s a Squier “Standard” model being considered, to which I admit I am not entirely familiar with. Anyways...

All I can say is that I wouldn’t trade my Squier partscaster for a mim, just because the Squier is perfect for my needs.

2001 Squier SE Special body, 2013 Fender Modern Player neck (made at Squier’s Classic Vibe plant) and a set of Squier Classic Vibe Alnico III 50s pickups. It sounds better than, and plays every bit as well as, the 2012 Fender American Standard Strat I sold off earlier this year...

CECE8283-BED8-455D-87F6-591E7B259F4E.jpeg
    4C3CDF27-6E6F-4406-95A3-A7F262C36918.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    jjudas, fattboyzz, Ditchgator and 3 others like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

It will all come down to feel, the new Squiers do feel a lot better than you would expect.

Sonicbridge and Biddlin like this.
  8. Biddlin

Yeah, I played one. Really dig the neck.

Sonicbridge and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

What model? If you mean the cherry sunburst Standard or the FMT amber, that's a big downgrade.....neck feels rough like bare wood, sub par electronics and intro level alnico pickups....

Biddlin likes this.
  10. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    Hmm, I liked the neck on the one I played, not rough at all. And I also liked the pickups, much more than ceramics. I thought it had more traditional "quack" than the MiM.

Thrup'ny Bit and fattboyzz like this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

It's a huge downgrade IMHO but if you're down for it and like it you should go for it. Tuners and bridge/block aren't as good as an MIM. If you were planning on upgrading the bridge it's very hard to find a replacement for that 63mm stud spacing. Just want you to know what you're in for.

Resale value on these when used tends to be in the 150 or less range - but they can be good guitars. I've just never paid more than about $80-100 US used for one of those....

Biddlin likes this.
  12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

If it has the Squier “Standard” pickups I have to agree...

I tried the Squier Standard pickups in my aforementioned partscaster and they didn’t do it for me at all, that’s why I went with the Classic Vibe 50s set, which sound as good as any top end pickup set imo.

Plus, yes, the pots and switch are pure crap (all the Squier pots I’ve had crackled and two of the switches shorted out).

I also added the MIM tremolo to my p-caster‘s Squier SE Special’s body as well, which has a heavier “high mass” block, so there’s that too - sorry, forgot to mention those details previously (I erroneously thought you were talking about a Classic Vibe model)...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Your MIM will sell around $300, but the Squier will also be used after you buy it and sell around $100.

You could buy a Squier body and move the MIM neck and parts to it, and avoid the spouse ire. Then you are only replacing the color... like getting matching shoes for the outfit.

johnnymg and Biddlin like this.
  14. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I never trade down. If the trade is not straight across or in my favor, it's not happening.

johnnymg likes this.
  15. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Ah, but there's a BIG 'catche-22' to that math.

The MIM is worth about $325 now and probably more next year. The Squier is worth about $150 as soon as you take possession of it.

I LOVE my Squiers but you shouldn't make this trade if it's based on faulty financial math. Do the trade if you really want the Squier and are OK with the financial consequences.

16. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

All in all it’s what you like, l have no idea about new squiers but 80s mij squiers rival any strat lve player to me, if the qualities there l say go for it

17. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't say the neck on a Squier Standard feels rough. Like bare wood, yes, but very well sanded wood.

The satin finish is similar to the necks on the MIM deluxe Nashvilles. They feel like a well made pool cue.

18. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

What year is your MIM Standard( I missed the 2001 in your original post).

19. Guitarmageddon

I have only ever had used examples, so perhaps mine had been messed with.....

fattboyzz likes this.
  20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't trade a Fender MIM Standard for a Squier Standard unless I got some money to boot :)

Guitarmageddon likes this.