Fender mini strat alternatives

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Kingmarc1982, May 25, 2021.

1. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

I love the mini strat but I don’t love the price. Looking for an budget friendly alternative for a child under 10 who wants to learn guitar. I’m good with setups and mods if necessary but am really looking for something that will be playable and an enjoyable experience for the child. Saw Harley Benton mini strat for 60. Anyone have any experience with that? Thanks.

2. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Look used. Those mini's get marked down. The Epi Les Paul mini gets good reviews. I've seen others out there (was in search of a travel guitar).

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Kingmarc1982

I’d like to stay strat style because she wants one like me. The Harley Benton mini got great reviews on YouTube when compared head time head with the strat mini. But…. When I went to buy it. Shipping is as much as the guitar from hb website. Do they sell these in the USA? I’m in NY.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

Aren't the squire minis cheap used. I think I got mine for $50. It sucked so I sold it. Something just wasn't right with it. I later got a solid ash sx mini that's very nice for the $.

frozensoda and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Kingmarc1982

The fender mustang just got marked down to 139 from 179 at guitar center today. But the strat mini is still 179. Because of the price I’m considering the mustang for my 9 year old daughters 1st guitar as a birthday present. I need this guitar to be a great experience for her so she won’t get discouraged which is why I am leaning toward the mini because 1. It’s light and 2. It’s small so she can hold it comfortably. Is the mustang small. I know it’s on the 24” scale and she won’t outgrow it fast but if I get her this and not the mini I don’t think she will stick with guitar and I sooo want her to. Long term mustang is the right move but if the guitar isn’t comfortable to hold there won’t be a long term anyway. Did I just talk myself into the mini. Probs. Price not considered. Mini all the way. Just damn that mustang for 139 and in my head I’m like hell I could jam on that too. Hehe.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I got my granddaughter a Squier Mini Strat. I think it is 22 inch scale. Another strat style guitar is the Ibanez micro. If I recall correctly, they were a little cheaper than the Squier. It’s been a few years since I’ve been looking for pint sized six stringers though.

edit; I just checked and the Ibanez micro is $149.00 brand new and is a 22 inch scale as well. The pups are probable better as they are humbuckers. My granddauter’s Squier has kinda noisy pickups, and they can feed back when using high gain. She loves distortion though.

fattboyzz and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  7. Kingmarc1982

I have a neck and middle pickup laying around from my player strat I could swap
    into the mini but she’ll just be happy to finally have a guitar it won’t matter how it sounds lol

fattboyzz, StratUp and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Kingmarc1982

Does graph tech have a replacement nut for this guitar. I bought one for strats but the string spacing was too wide and I cannot find nut string spacing spec for this guitar

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

No, they do not. The stock nut doesn't even need replacing though, they are great guitars - and the new ones have sealed D shaped tuners, 10mm modern size - much better than the old trapezoid tuners.

fattboyzz and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  10. Kingmarc1982

Then
    that’s that lol. It came pretty well set up out of the box too. Neck relief was good and string heights and radius were spot on. Adjusted the pickup heights and that’s that. She’s going to love it!!! Cannot wait for her birthday.

JJ119 likes this.
  11. Kingmarc1982

And intonation needed adjusting. I’m impressed.

JJ119 likes this.
  12. Kingmarc1982

Picked up and orange crush 12 watt to go with it Trying to start this kid off right with a great experience in hopes she sticks with it. I wish I started playing at that age!

fattboyzz, Bob the builder and JJ119 like this.
  13. grumpah

grumpah Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I built one of these for my grand-non-binary-child.

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-pr...ar-kits/mini-s-style-electric-guitar-kit.html

It was a fairly easy build. It only took a few hours over a couple of weeks to finish it. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone so I replaced the pickups with home wound units; upgraded the electrics, tuners, saddles, and jack; rounded the body edges; installed neck screw inserts; and cut a 4x2 head stock shape. Then I had to go and make a custom case for it. It is tuned to A Standard as it has a 414mm [16.3"] scale length.

[​IMG]

14. TinyTree

TinyTree Strat-Talker

If you can find an SX, they're usually pretty good and come small. Well under 80 USD too.

15. Exhead

Exhead Strat-O-Master

I sold this one last year with this deluxe gig bag for $100 locally. Pristine condition.

IMG_9578.JPG IMG_9579.JPG IMG_9587.JPG

JJ119 likes this.
  16. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talk Member

Ibanez GiO miKro.

Archtops likes this.
  17. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

19. Tim Escobedo

Tim Escobedo New Member!

Rondomusic offers a couple small SX branded strat guitars, one is close to the Fender Squier Bullet mini, the other is a "in between" strat with a 24" scale, which they only have in leftys currently. They're decent out of the box, however, their availability is hit and miss as Rondo is a relatively small operation. I have one of the 24" scale ones that was sold cheap because of a finish flaw, but I have to say, even with the very narrow neck, it's a really nice player that I've taken a shine to. I thought the 1 1/2" inch nut width would have been an issue for my grown up hands, but I found I don't really notice.

The problem is that the Fender Squier alternatives might be less expensive, but not by much, maybe not at all after shipping is factored in. I've seen the Squier minis go pretty low used.

Whatever you go with, I recommend only one modification that will be necessary eventually (for ANY cheap guitar): Replace the jack with a real Switchcraft.

20. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Not sure where my post and pic went? Let’s try again.

D06A7D1B-51F5-49BA-A84B-7EBC76CD6269.jpeg