Fender Mod Shop

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Antstrat, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Just curious nothing else.

Was playing with it earlier and made a strat that I liked, came out to $1800 with case.

My question is, using the American Special @ $1500 for example, what do you gain going mod shop for an extra $300? Getting exactly what you want? A higher grade strat? Or does it boil down to personal preference?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    The-Kid, 3bolt79, abnormaltoy and 3 others like this.
  2. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Finish work i would assume
    It wouldnt be a line tech assembling it,,or atleast ya’d figure its one of the senior line techs

abnormaltoy and Antstrat like this.
  3. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Mod shop guitars are MIA, right?

Ave, abnormaltoy and Antstrat like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Ant , I’ve built one on there a couple times myself , came away thinking I’d be better off buying an ultra or pro ll.

jtoomuch, nickmsmith, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  5. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

The only + is you get a personalized strat with less options or cost than CS.

I have not had my hands on one so I can't comment if there is a higher attention to detail.

tery, 3bolt79, soulman969 and 2 others like this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Yes.

7. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

I guess $300 is cheap for a personal shopper that pics your parts
    Hell thats how the rich folks do it,,,,right?
    Live a little

8. YohanTheMan

YohanTheMan Strat-Talk Member

All i can say is if i lived in the US, i would get one. I play around with it sometimes, its lots of fun(maybe i have too much time om my hands). Its like designing your own signature Strat. A bit limited with some features and no nitro, but i would take one over any of the American stuff(Original series excluded) any day.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and achar073 like this.
  9. Reno922

Reno922 Strat-Talker

Actually, I think the guitar to compare it with is the American Pro II, which is at the $1500 price point.

I don't think we are promised anything from the mod shop other than different colors, pickups and neck combinations that aren't available in the off the shelf models.

And the major drawback of the 'You can't return it for any reason' policy.

Here's the off the shelf version of what you created for $1499.99 Is the color red worth $300 extra?
    American ProII.jpg

• Three V-Mod II single-coil Stratocaster pickups
    • Upgraded 2-Point Tremolo with Cold-Rolled Steel Block
    • Deep "C”-shaped neck profile with rolled fingerboard edges
    • Bone nut; 22 narrow-tall frets for easy bending
    • Treble bleed circuit maintains highs when reducing volume
    • Includes Deluxe Molded hardshell case

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  10. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talk Member

It’s basically a partscaster. I don’t mean that in a negative way at all, you’re just picking parts they already have on hand and they’re throwing it together for you. If there’s a color combo you want, with a certain neck and pickups, I say go for it! There’s no special build quality - other than maybe paint they’re just pulling necks and parts off the shelf and assembling.

11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

It's about the added choices. My avatar picture shows three Strats with rosewood necks. Two were GC specials, the third I got from the Mod Shop. The quality is identical, but I could get an HH Strat with a solid rosewood neck in Mystic Ice Blue through the Mod Shop. Prices were lower last year, though. I bought in May, and I got a 10% discount on mine because I bought a Fender Play membership for a friend (that I'd been planning to get him anyway). That took the original $1700 price at the time down to $1530. With the rosewood neck (which at the time was a no cost Mod Shop option, amazingly), not a bad deal, as the GC price was and is $1649 for their rosewood necked Strats. Mod Shop prices have gone up considerably since then.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  12. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

If you a member of Fender Play, you get a 10% discount on guitars purchased through the Mod Shop.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and Antstrat like this.
  13. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

People like "bespoke" stuff. It makes them feel special.
    Manufacturers like bespoke stuff - it means you have a buyer for a product you build, can cut distribution and retail out of the supply chain and keep their margins, and charge the consumer more for the end product.

eg: https://www.zendesk.com/blog/bespoke-coming-product-service-near/

If you aren't the sort of person who swaps necks, pickguards, pickups, electronics... then the mod shop is a good option to get the guitar you want without going full custom shop.

As people have said above... the mod shop has a limited number of rotating pieces. Other than the bodies, which may very well be sprayed to order... especially those that don't currently feature on any production guitar. The rest of the stuff comes out of the buckets along the back wall. Compare this to companies like Warmoth who make each body and neck to order, or true bespoke luthiers who build your entire guitar from scratch giving you a completely unique instrument. There is nowhere on the mod-shop site to choose your pickup routes or neck pocket contour for example.

Neither of my strats nor my tele came out of any factory. They've evolved over time as I found bits I liked and bits I didn't and swapped them over. That suits me... but different stroke for different folks.

If there is something you can pull together on the mod shop that ticks every box, buy it. If not, look at what's close... particularly neck, body and tremolo. Everything else can be changed.

(Strat 1... MIM Lonestar strat in Ocean Turquoise with original neck & middle Texas Specials + aged white plastics + electronics + bridge, SD JB HB... that I may yet change for something else, warmoth tortoise shell guard, MIA Jim Root neck with ebony board, Fender locking tuners.
    Strat 2: MIM Roadhouse body in aged copper with original bridge, the takeoff maple neck from the MIM Lonestar with standard tuners, 2005 MIA American Standard pickups + delta tone electrics, chinese aluminium pickguard finished as distressed copper, distressed copper tele knobs, all-parts chrome-effect pickup covers).

VinStrat, 3bolt79 and Antstrat like this.
  14. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

No argument, but just for clarity: You can get a Strat in SSS, HSS, HSH, or HH in the Mod Shop. Teles can be SS or HH. But it's true that you can't just pick anything. You're choosing their pickups options, and the routes come along for the ride.

I didn't want "bespoke" so much as a pickup, neck, and color combination that they just so happened to offer.

Caedarn and Blackmore Fan like this.
  15. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

It seems like with the ModShop you get more personalization. Had to go ModShop to get the color I wanted on my Acoustasonic.

Had to go ModShop to get a fully (both neck and body) mahogany Tele. And with the Tele I was then given the option of the pick guard color and 6 different pickup choices, tons of neck choices, etc. It was worth the additional dough in my opinion.

And you get a nice neck plate :thumb:

I could be wrong but I swear my ModShop guitars are a bit higher quality workmanship. And, they’re the only Fenders I’ve kept. I sold all the rest to buy Reverends.

4C64E8EB-45B9-4C1F-A3E0-B2FCD68B607D.jpeg

3bolt79, Groovey and Antstrat like this.
  16. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

I played around in the Mod Shop. Cool idea for “semi-custom” guitars. You pick from the dim-sum menu and get something, theoretically, almost custom shop for about half price. If you can find what you want there, not a bad deal. In my case, I want a traditional trem, and pickups not offered by Fender. So....I may as well buy an Eric Johnson and do the minor mods I might want on a Strat, and probably save a little dough...

OTOH, there were a couple of Teles that I could see getting

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Antstrat likes this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

This is pretty much the answer in one sentence. Personalized details for a premium price.

G&L does much the same with their Option Order approach. You can either get a US built Fullerton model the way they build it or an Option Order model of the same guitar built to your specs.

Lewbypls and Deafsoundguy like this.
  18. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Fun Stuff

19. mschafft

mschafft Strat-Talker

No vintage type six-screw bridge for a strat as an option?

AxemanVR likes this.
  20. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Senior Stratmaster

I’m thinking on designing up a nice hard tail on the Mod Shop for my birthday this year.