Fender Mustang Micro

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by fos1, Sep 2, 2021.

1. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I recently purchased a Fender Mustang Micro. My son from Germany is visiting and is using my office/music room.

I am using the Micro along with a pair of cheap over the ear headphones.

The "65 Deluxe" amp sim actually sounds pretty good. I am using the spring reverb effect and one notch to "bright" for the equalizer. It really does sound good through the headphones (OneOdio).

I didn't find any of the amps with gain to be satisfying. Too much fizz.

The Micro is a little better than the mini Vox headphone amp but it does cost 2 or 3 times as much. The Micro's color coded led lights used for setup work well but you do have carry around a color code card or look the codes up in a manual. I expect I will just leave it set to my preference above.

The Mustang Micro is good for private, or on the go practice. It certainly won't replace any of my regular amps but probably worth $100.

2. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Had mine a couple of weeks, just used the default setting I like it, not an amp but for quiet practice any time

fos1 likes this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It's a fun little amp.
    I do wish it had app support so I didn't have to keep the reference card handy... I guess it's OK if you only use one or two tones and know how to easily find them.
    This bugged me enough that I bought a Nux, haven't really taken the time to go through it though.

fos1 and myfriendjoe like this.
  4. myfriendjoe

myfriendjoe Strat-Talk Member

I have a NUX Mighty Plug Amp, it's really useful for guitar (elec, or AE) and bass. The app that works with it is really easy to use/understand, and it also pairs via bluetooth to your phone/tablet as an audio source, bringing any of your backing tracks (etc) right through your headphones, with your guitar/bass.
    I only play around with the bass, and I don't have to buy a dedicated bass amp this way.
    Built in metronome, and drum tracks. The effects and amp models in the NUX mighty amp sound good enough to record, imo.
    https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-plug.html

and yes, you can run it straight into a clean channel (no headphones) for inexpensive, high quality amp/effects modeling.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    fos1 and CB91710 like this.
  5. Boubou

Take a picture of the little card with your phone, that’s what I did

Impulsive guppy, stormin1155 and fos1 like this.
  6. hiasakite

hiasakite Strat-Talk Member

Have ordered a Mustang Micro about a month or so ago - still waiting for delivery.... (keeps going backwards- originally 18th Aug - now 10th Sept)

...primarily for when I want to play late at night in the garage when everyone else is asleep and to avoid me carting my amps round.....

fos1 likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

I went for a Mini Twin, cheap and cheerful. A bit more expensive than the Marshall I had before, (gave it away), but great for quiet practice and still being able to hear Mrs Wrighty giving me orders…………………then again ‘over tge ear headphones’ you say……………

Anyone ever plugged their MM into the clean channel of a real amp? Could be a cheap and easy way to get yourself a modeling amp?

fos1 likes this.
  8. fos1

I had the same problem and ordered directly from Fender.

9. Boubou

Just walked in the store and picked one up.
    Early birthday present from Ms Boubou

fos1 likes this.
  10. hiasakite

Arrived today, initial thoughts are:

Very quick an easy to set up. Controls are very simple. Colour codes are not always that clear - especially if viewed from an oblique angle - so you need to remember where you are in the cycle of effects and amps. But its pretty straight forwards.

Not great if you want to tailor the sound exactly, as clearly you don't have the versatility of setting in a full amp/pedal board/multi FX unit - however...
    ... it is very easy to get something pretty close to the approximate sound you want for most "standard" sounds with just delay & or reverb, which makes it very easy to just to pick and play without having to faf about plugging in amps, wiring cables etc etc.

It also "flatters" my cheapo strat copy significantly, although the difference between that and my LP is very clear.

The whole unit is smaller than the palm of my hand, so very compact etc, and I've tried it on my strat and my Les Paul. Slightly easier to see the controls/lights on the strat due to the positioning of the lead socket on the guitar.

Overall - happy with it, and will explore it more over the next few weeks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    fos1 and CB91710 like this.
  11. hiasakite

Ok- so a week later...

In terms of playing - the Fender Micro feels much "brighter" than my Marshal VS65R - to the point of almost being unpleasant with the bridge pickup on my strat- even with the tone turned down on the micro.
    That might say more about the pickups on my strat (copy) than anything else however- but back to back, it was definitely brighter and sharper than the Marshall.

I know I said it "flattered" the strat copy - but on the bridge pick up alone, it is almost harsh. Am inclined to put the harshness down the guitar, am sure with a real strat (or one with just decent electronics) it would sound better.

That said - the pre-amp on the Marshall packed up on Saturday, and the juries still out as to why (might be the tube - need to replace it and find out) - so its possible that the Marshall had become much muddier than it should have been - but I won't say I noticed in a bad way..

Anyway a few pictures of the Fender micro in its box, in my hand, and how it fits in my strat and my Less Paul

In my hand for scale:
    20210907_142414.jpg

Sitting snugly in my strat
    20210915_220841.jpg

On my Les Paul - looks awkward from the picture but actually works ok, you can rotate it round to see the coloured LEDs etc

20210915_220748.jpg

vlxerdon and fos1 like this.
  12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

When I bought mine I half thought to myself, here goes again... another gizmo to add to the drawerful of guitar gizmos I already have. But I actually use it quite a bit. For clean, and what I use 3/4 of the time, I use the '65 Deluxe, which sounds pretty convincing. For crunch the '65 Deluxe + Greenbox is OK. I wish there was a gain control. The Modulated Reverb sounds glorious!

Anyone needing something for quiet practice, I highly recommend it. I'll bet it could even work as a "pocket Plan B" if your main amp failed at a gig, you could plug directly into the PA. It sounds good through powered studio monitors.

fos1 and hiasakite like this.
  13. hiasakite

I'd agree - loving the crunch '65 Deluxe plus Greenbox, the '60's British for clean, and for the really heavy stuff the Uber...

Works perfectly for disappearing to the opposite end of the house/garage whilst everyone else is asleep for a quick play..

fos1 likes this.
  14. fos1

I have been enjoying my Mustang Micro. It has turned out to be a good practice tool. I can hear things in my technique that I don't hear through an amp.

I thought I would try feeding the Micro output to my Phonak TV Link transmitter that sends the audio through a gadget that hangs around my neck that feeds the audio into my hearing aids wirelessly. It is a Phonak proprietary wireless protocol. It is great for sending computer, TV and radio audio to my aids.

However, it doesn't work well for guitar since there is a perceptible lag in the signal, not much but too much. It is not nearly as bad as a Jamstik+ but too bad to use for learning or playing the guitar. Too bad.

There are newer generations of the same technology but too expensive to take a chance.

Maybe I will try the Boss Waza headphones someday but they are $400. My cheap headphones with a cable works well. :)

15. CB91710

I'm pretty convinced that Boss named these "Waza" rather than "Katana" because they were so unsure of the product that they didn't want to risk ruining the Katana name.

The Waza phones are nice for what they are... but they are simply too costly for what they are when a Nux Mighty Plug and decent headphones does everything the Waza does except for the spatial orientation reference, and does it for less than half the price.

fos1 likes this.
  16. fos1

Agreed. Thank you for the Nux suggestion. From what I have read the 3D spatial thing in the Waza is mostly gimmick that drifts and must be reset often. I had no intent to use that function.

17. fos1

PS. I just did a search again for the Nux Mighty Plug. The only place I have found one is on Ebay. It is new but it makes me wonder. Both Walmart and Amazon had them but are listed as "No longer available".

Were they viable?

18. Boubou

Took my mustang out on the deck yesterday, nice to play outside without bothering anyone

fos1 likes this.
  19. CB91710

My bet is they are releasing a new one for 2022 and the usual sources are out of stock.

There are a few listed on Reverb (apparently new), and one shop lists them on pre-order.

fos1 likes this.
  20. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

I taped the color code sheet to the tremelo cover so I reference it while holding guitar

fos1 likes this.