Fender Non-USA cases - Quality (vs Gator?)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by systolsys, Jul 16, 2021.

1. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Hi All,

Either my google-fu is failing me, or there seems to be very little discussion about cases recently.

G&G are obviously the Gold Standard in Fender cases, but they run ludicrously expensive here in Australia.

Fender do a "same same but different line" called (in various countries) the "Pro" line or "Classic" line... that according to a 5-year old thread were made in Vietnam, but may now be Chinese.

And some reviews say the quality is (to put it politely) inconsistent.

Thing it - they look exactly the same and 50 other branded and non-branded cases... Gator being one. "Artist", "Armour" and a whole stack of other generic brands also being out there for around half the price.

Has anybody had any recent experience with either of these brands/model lines? Is the Fender case just a generic Chinese case with a very expensive badge?

Or screw the "Classic" case look and grab something from SKB?

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @systolsys

SKB makes nice cases & may come in handy Strat shape one.

if G&G case would be steep.

Ebidis likes this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

This.

Classic is great for the look, but if you want a case that will actually protect your guitar, a good quality molded case is it. They are lighter too.

Bob the builder, SKYDOG4570 and bsman like this.
  4. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I love gator cases.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

I have several SKB cases that have stood the test of time. I also have a few Fender Pro cases that were nice cases for a little over $100 when I bought them. They are gone now and/or they morphed into the Fender Classic series cases . . . and the price went up.

Gator, and SKB also make good cases with a reasonable price.

6. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

I've owned Gator, Fender ABS, G&G, and SKB cases.

I haven't owned either of the Fender Pro Series or Classic Series cases, but I've seen enough horror stories online to avoid them.

Also some of the SKB cases are now made in china, so just a heads up whichever route you go. Regardless, out of the two options I would go with them or Gator.

CB91710 likes this.
  7. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-O-Master

I have a real USA G&G and also a brand new Fender Deluxe Tweed case made in China.

The 2021 Fender one is a clear 90% quality copy of the original at less than half the price.

What does that mean? IDK, The case I use 90% of the time is one of the TSA Fender cases that came with the newer Strats I own.

8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I think the current Fender molded cases are made for them by Gator but I'm not sure. I'm more sure that the previous molded cases with the red handles were made by Gator (those were the ones in-between the SKB-made cases and the current cases. You can still get the SKB case but it will have the SKB logo on it - I did really like that case, very sturdy and light weight. Of the recent Fender molded cases that's the only one that I've owned (I've had 2 of them over the years - with a 2008 American Standard Strat HSS that I got on a trade and flipped and a 2013 American Standard Tele that I really liked but sold when I took a hiatus from playing from 2015-2018).

I've had a couple of the old Pro Series cases - a black tolex one that came with a 2013 American Standard Strat (Fender switched from the SKBs to the Pro Series on American Standards circa June 2013 - the Strat was after the transition and the Tele was from before the transition although I got it after I had owned the Strat for a few months) and a tweed one that I got to go with a Player Tele I used to own. The Strat was kind of loose in the black one; it would slide around in that groove for the neck in the middle of the case unless I padded the body area with an old t-shirt or towel; the tweed though was perfect; none of those issue.

My only experience with the current Classic Series case was a Mustang version that I ordered to go with an American Performer Mustang. That case was a disaster; shouldn't have passed QC: the tolex was wrinkled, the wood was pretty thin and already warping, and it was about 3/4" too short for the American Performer Mustang. I suppose it might have fit the MIM Mustang or MIM Duo-Sonic, so it went back. That being said the Classic Series Strat/Tele cases I've seen stacked up at Guitar Center are fine - but as a few have said they are a less expensive and somewhat less sturdy copy of the G&G versions.

9. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I bought a Glarry tweed case and it's actually not bad! They're like $65 bucks on Amazon. I'm not a gigging musician though so I can't say how it would hold up to the rigors of the road. If I was going to do a lot of gigging, I would probably buy a molded case.

jtoomuch likes this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Don’t use hard cases but I’ve found Gator gig bags to be everything I need.

11. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Even when double boxed with foam endcaps, those Chinese Fender cases are crap. 5adsf.jpg

EC Strat likes this.
  12. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I buy Gator Cases for my guitars and they are decent but not great.

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

By far my favourite fender case was the old chainsaw case. Pretty sure skb do one… my old tele went all over the world in one without a scratch… well not from transporting it anyway

14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

The Fender molded cases are made by SKB, and the SKB-branded cases are exactly the same, just with a different logo. I have one of each.

15. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

I've got a "Classic" tweed case that came with my 2013 MIM Tele. Other than the plastic handle that's trying to look like leather and failing at it, the quality is the same as my 2 G&G cases. However they are not the same in layout. In G&G the guitar lays diagonally with one compartment beside the neck. The Fender Classic case has the guitar lying straight with 2 small compartments either side of the neck. The padding thickness is different in different areas, outer dimensions are slightly different too.

If you're looking for a vintage-style case, Gator has a tweed line that looks gorgeous. I've had quite a few of their cases, and still own 3 plus a gigbag and my experience with them was always good. I was buying new, I'd go for that.

16. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Not since 2013 - Fender switched cases about the middle of the year. I had a 2013 American Standard Tele that was shipped out in May and it was in the Fender-logo SKB case, and an American Standard Strat that was hipped out in July with the Pro Series black tolex case.

It seems like the red-handled cases they used for American Deluxes from mid-2013 until they were discontinued at the end of 2015 and for American Standards from 2015 until they were discontinued in November 2016, and I think Gator also makes the current Fender molded case.

17. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Storage = Thin profile wood cases like G&G
    Presentation = G&G upper end series
    Travel = older USA made Gator TSA cases
    Abusive International travel (checked or shipped) even though it hasn't been done in awhile now: Pelican Storm with pressure valves

18. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Never had a G&G
    Got SKB, Fender chainsaw, Fender molded rectangle thing, and the Road runner I had for the lp.
    I like em all

19. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I bought a Glarry case also. $55 on sale. My guitar almost never leave the house, but the case isn't bad. For me, it's fine. Pretty large compartment inside as well.

T-Rey likes this.