Fender Pawn Shop Model '51

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JackSparrow123, Aug 29, 2014.

1. JackSparrow123

JackSparrow123 Strat-Talk Member

Any one own, have experience or playing time with/on one of these? Your thoughts? Opinions? Speak you minds, please...and THANK YOU in advance... ... ...

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Nope, Just the Squier, from which the Fender was conceived. The Squier '51 still has a great reputation as a sweet player, and also as an inexpensive quality platform for modding hijinx, while from the things I have read, the Fender added maybe $150 worth of upgrade value, and another 4 or 5 hundred in price.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I have the Squier version that the Fender Pawn Shop model is actually based off of. The Squier gets pretty icepicky, but the Fender version has different pups so I'm not sure if that would be an issue. The neck feels good. I do use tone controls a lot, so I miss that on it.

4. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

I've played both and they are completely different guitars. The Fender version is MIJ, and is a well put together guitar. It feels finished while the squier to me just feels like a modding platform. The Fender 51 is a seriously nice guitar with an awesome neck if you are into gloss like I am.

5. rider7

rider7 Senior Stratmaster

Have to agree with Yogi, the Pawn Shop 51 has a great neck and fit and finish is on par with my other American Standard Strat.

6. JackSparrow123

I did read what specs I could find on the Net' on this particular guitar. I knew going into that I was gonna read more positive than negative reviews. It always seems that way. That's why I asked "Speak your minds" meaning, I was not planning on being offended if someone said it's just a souped-up version of the Squier version with $500-$700 added to it and the "Fender" logo added to the peghead. Oatsoda above pretty much alluded to that and I appreciate the opinion. There was one of these hangng in a local music store that is closing here, but re-opening in a larger, near-by town, and had a pretty good sale. I was able to snag one this guitar for $475, tax included, with tags, paperwork and a very nice Fender gigbag. From the homework I did on the 'Net, these things sell upwards of $800-$1000, so I didn't hesitate to purchase the thing. The reason I aksed my initial questions is all the YouTube videos that feature this guitar being test-driven, so to speak, most didn't show what kind of amp it was plugged into. I bought it because I thought I was getting a pretty good deal...I don't own an amp for it yet and wanted opinions from you all as to what the thing sounded like (within reasons) what I could expect as far as fit and finish (I had all of 6 minutes to inspect the thing before the store closed for the long Labor-Day weekend...I thought they closed at 6pm but was wrong, they closed at 5pm...) I did pm a friend I have made on here and told him about it and he said "I don't believe you...there is NO WAY you paid that for that guitar, unless you traded something in on it". I didn't trade anything in on it.. The *only* thing I "traded" in on it was 20% down to hold it for me until Tuesday, which consisted of one green and white piece of paper with a dead president on it. I told him when I go to pick it up when they re-open next week (Tuesday) I'll post a photo of it AND the receipt...because if there is ONE thing I have learned as a newbie on this site..."if you don't take (have) have a pic, it DIDN'T happen"...so that's what I intended to do. Anyway, about all I remember in the 6 or so minutes I actually had it in my hands before the store closed, it felt nice, the neck and all and it did not look sloppily put-together. But, and this being my own fault, I did not look over the guitar itself as much as I looked for signs that something was wrong with it, like it being a "factory 2nd" or something along those lines...because the price was so cheap. I had absolutely no time to plug it into an amp. When I hung it back on the wall, some guy immediately picked it up and started lookng at it, so THAT is when I quietly went to the kid behind the register and paid the $ down on it. I never, EVER impulse buy if I can help it, but whether this is to my credit or to my disappoinment, I did do this, on this particular instrument. I simply told myself that I could at least get some of my money back if I sold the maple neck alone because I did notice that much of thing looked really nice. THANK YOU for all those that have posted, I appreciate your opinions and experiences with this particular (and admittedly strange) Strat... ... ...

7. rider7

rider7 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, you will love it. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

8. JackSparrow123

The owner of the store I got it from called me this afternoon...he's headed to Atlantic Beach and wanted to know if he dropped the guitar by my house, if I could pay him today. I said "Yes...that that is very thoughtful of you to think of me...had planned on waiting 'til you re-opned after the holiday weekend to pick it up". He said he knew...but when he saw my name on the thing, he took a chance and called me. Sometimes people CAN be nice in this crazy world. He even brought me a set of new strings to go on it. So...anyway here's the pics... I really like the thing. Can find NO flaws in it...just need an amp to plug it into and start playing it...

Attached Files:

9. Texaspicker

Texaspicker Strat-Talker

Congrats on your NGD!

10. Whittler

Whittler Senior Stratmaster

So JS, how does it sound, I know it's a fender lol. Just wondering if it sounds like a Tele, Strat, Jasmaster, or Jag. It is a great looking guitar congrats.

11. DHart

DHart Banned

Plenty of PawnShop '51 love going around! Awesome craftsmanship quality, great neck, and a hot, somewhat different tone than you get with a regular Strat. Texas Special Single coil neck pup with a Fender Enforcer Humbucker bridge pup. The pup switching is different and kind of cool. I love the string-thru body design and no tremolo.

Congrats on the great deal. I love mine.

[​IMG]

12. Mech

Mech Strat-O-Master

That threw me off for a sec a well. But all positions are nice and the sustain is SICK!

13. blackstrat05

blackstrat05 Strat-Talk Member

Nice! Beautiful color!

14. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I've been wanting a hardtail strat, and I just might have to consider one of these as something a little different.