Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender play

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Psycho305, Mar 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Psycho305

Psycho305 New Member!

I recently got a trial subscription. I'm newish to Guitar but even I think the lessons are geared to people who literally never seen a guitar before.

Does anyone have positive experience with this subscription or other online guitar learning tools?

tery likes this.
  2. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-Talker

did the trial, found so many errors on songs, in was unreal.

I tend to agree, it’s very basic.
    And think, songs dummed down, does a disservice to anyone learning.
    This may have changed? Not sure.
    I did write fender about some songs being flat out wrong..and cancelled as well...
    Never received a reply...

six string country is excellent.
    Texas blues alley also excellent.
    I am sure their are many others.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Psycho305 likes this.
  3. kingclark75

kingclark75 Strat-Talk Member

Fender play is good if you want the very basics, the app is cleaned and has been re designed but it is very basic, and only riffs and easy versions of songs, so if your brand new to guitar it would be good. I too am looking for online lessons, I do have guitar tricks, but don't gel that well with some of the basic stuff. I am looking also at Texas Blues Alley and also Artist Works, those are the 2 I am looking at right now. Guitar Tricks is good, as is Jamplay

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've just signed up for a free bass course from them. I could use the basics, so that's ok. I'll let you know what I think.

5. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Not to impressed.

6. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I consider myself an intermediate or advanced intermediate player and signed up for the trial.
    You are correct, they are geared at the beginning for absolute beginners, but the fact that I sat for a full day going through the first level has to be a good thing... a refresher of sorts I suppose, which wasn't bad because I rarely use tab or chord sheets, so I didn't feel it was a waste of time.
    I think I will continue since I have lock-down time to spend, and these elementary lessons keep me from simply noodling as much as I normally do.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 9:55 AM
  7. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

Not impressed. At all. It's supposedly the end result of a huge market research project aimed at determining why the failure rate amongst guitar students... particularly female guitar students... is so high, and addressing those issues. So why, then, is it a pretty standard set of predictable lessons (and like everyone else on the planet, starting open chords WAY earlier than they should) except that it features a series of dreadful, dumbed-down and often just plain WRONG song transcriptions? There's not much distinction between what they're doing and any other set of guitar lessons.

BTW: being female, I'm going to throw out that the results of fender's market research into why female students tend to either quit altogether or plateau early is just plain wrong. It's a cultural issue, and you won't fix it with a new set of lessons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.