Fender Player Plus Telecaster Nashville $675 at Amazon

CirroStratus

Strat-O-Master
Sep 11, 2022
Stratosphere
Starting with the #2 and #4 position the "quack" it's not as pronounced as in a Strat due to it's positioning and that itself varies. IIRC the US models have it in a slightly different spot a bit more forward than the MIM models but that can be adjusted by using different pickguards.

Adjusting the middle pickup height can also impact whether you get more of it or just a taste. I've experimented with it both ways and now have it lowered quite a bit since I never solo the middle pickup alone. I'd suggest doing the same with both height and position 'til you get what pleases you most.

I still look at it primarily as a Tele and use it like one with an option to add in that middle pickup. Tonally it adds a little more bite and clarity to the neck pickup up and "quacks" more when used with the bridge pickup. I can also use all three in combination so that's six options in total. I'd call it a Tele with a taste of Strat added to it.

As for the RC it quacks like a herd of ducks. Those RC pickups along with the hardtail bridge is where Robert gets that unique tone of his. To me it's funkier than hell and very compressed. Great pickups and a chunkier neck are what sets it apart from other Strats I've played. It's ideal if that's what you're looking for and I am.

Hope this helps but in the end it's still only how I perceive each guitar. Others may have another opinion.

EDIT: Mine is a 2006 so I'm not certain whether this is true of later models but mine has the best neck profile for me. It feels similar to a Baja Tele but with a little less depth and beef. I'm a thumb up player and the feel over the first 5 or 6 frets is more like a soft "V" the become a "C" as you move higher up the neck. I like it so much I have that same 2006 neck on two other Teles. One maple and the other rosewood.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! The third paragraph really summed it up for me, especially the last line. That combination interests me greatly. Good thing is that my Strat experience is still a bit limited, so I don’t have too many perceived notions to work past.

Now if Fender would just get that price back down into the 600-range… 😉

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! The third paragraph really summed it up for me, especially the last line. That combination interests me greatly. Good thing is that my Strat experience is still a bit limited, so I don’t have too many perceived notions to work past.

Now if Fender would just get that price back down into the 600-range… 😉
There's plenty of used ones out there and some are in that price range. Wishing you good luck on your search.

🍻

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
I was just browsing Reverb… 😄

Would like to have a chance at that Fender new twang smell, though
Gotcha. I guess whether or not Fender will ever offer to sell new ones at 40% off MSRP again depends on how well this sale went and how many units are still left.

I picked up a Squier CV '60s Jazz Bass for 50% off MSRP thinking they'd never make an offer like that again but then I never thought I'd ever see it to begin with.

Either way I believe you can find one you like. Seems to be anyone who buys one either likes it and keeps it or they're disappointed it's not a Stratele and they sell it.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
my main "tele" was $99 with free shipping new and bad it is not.

You let me know where I can get one of those!

If you do you can always create your own Nashville Tele by adding the middle pickup and doing some rewiring.

It's unlikely the $99 Tele has a swimming pool route already so you'd nee to route the body for a middle pickup like I once did with a '95 Tele. I had a local cabinet maker do that for me using a pickguard to create a template from which to do the routing.

Then just select a middle pickup to match the Tele pickups and wire in a push/pull tone pot that will allow you to add the middle pickup to any other setting. You'll get neck/middle, bridge/middle, neck/middle/bridge in addition to the three standard Tele pickup settings.

Last edited:

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
my main "tele" was $99 with free shipping new and bad it is not.
If there weren't already dozens of others doing it I'd set up a shop to produce nothing but Tele style guitars in quantity. They're really very simple and cheap to build.

Slap body, minimalist headstock, readily available stamped out bridges w/brass saddles, two pickups, and simple electronics with single volume and tone pots.

The labor to produce a body and neck wouldn't be all that much. It's whatever tuners, pickups and finishes that are offered would be where most the costs are.

Della Street

Mtrat-O-Saster
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
If you do you can always create your own Nashville Tele by adding the middle pickup and doing some rewiring.

It's unlike the $99 Tele has a swimming pool route already so you'd nee to route the body for a middle pickup like I once did with a '95 Tele. I had a local cabinet maker do that for me using a pickguard to create a template from which to do the routing.

Then just select a middle pickup to match the Tele pickups and wire in a push/pull tone pot that will allow you to add the middle pickup to any other setting. You'll get neck/middle, bridge/middle, neck/middle/bridge in addition to the three standard Tele pickup settings.
i really have no desire for Nashville setup. that's what strats are for, it feels. but i do have a 4-way switch conversion with pickup upgrade coming up for this pale yellow "tele" guitar.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
i really have no desire for Nashville setup. that's what strats are for, it feels. but i do have a 4-way switch conversion with pickup upgrade coming up for this pale yellow "tele" guitar.
No, but CirroStratus does so I suggested that he might even create his own just as I once did. The most difficult part was getting the top routed. Cost me all of $35.

Session players in Nashville were the guys who came up with adding a middle pickup to their Teles so they could show up for a date with only one guitar instead of two.

I enjoy having a 4-way on my Tele as well. Nice feature to have. I often wonder why Fender doesn't just produce all of them that way and screw tradition.