Fender Player Strat vs Vintage (the brand)?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Blackmore Fan, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

So I walked into a off-the-way guitar shop today that I haven't been to in years. They had several new Vintage (the brand name) Strats that looked really sharp. They were priced around $470 new. The fiesta red was really nice looking, and there were a couple of other choices that looked nice too.

What advantage does the Fender Player have over these? I've read good things about the Wilkinson pickups that these Vintage Strats come with. Does Wilkinson provide the bridge/trem with these too? The price certainly seems right compared to the Fender Player.

Is the Fender Player night and day better than the new Vintage Strats? Is the Vintage more comparable to the Squier Classic Vibe? And are we sure the Fender Player is a better Strat than the Squier Classic Vibe?

2. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I had the Vintage Tele (V75) for a while. It was a great guitar. I only sold it because I hated the way the Tele bridge felt on my right hand. The tone was crackin', as they say over there.

The radius on mine was an even 10", but otherwise it spec'd out not much differently than and felt at least as good as a MIM Fender, and in my limited experience felt much better than a Squier or low-end ASAT.

Vintage is pretty popular in the UK, and for good reason. They seem to punch well above their weight. Thanks to Reverb I was able to get mine here, discounted + free shipping. I wouldn't hesitate on the Strat version if it was just sitting there waiting for a friend. Especially if it's that Laguna Blue color.

Erik_C likes this.
  3. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Although I have never played one the Vintage brand get a lot of love over here and they are priced very well.

4. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I've played quite a few, and owned one for a while. None of them really stood out as great guitars, but they were nice enough. That said I felt much the same way about the MIM Player that I tried.

Personally, I'd take a Classic Vibe over either.

Hal Nico likes this.
  5. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

I have a Vintage V100 Les Paul with and it's a great guitar,

But when it comes to Strats I'd go with the previous statement and go for a Classic Vibe CV50 if I were in the Market for another Stratocaster :)

6. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Players are fantastic.

Had a Strat and Tele.

7. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I compared a Vintage to a Squier Classic Vibe 50 and bought the CV50. I've also owned 2 Player Strat's. I flipped the CV50 after 4 years, for about what I paid when new. The Player Strat that I bought in person is on par with my American Strat's. I sold the one that I bought mail order (SE LPB), because it wasn't equal to the one that I hand picked. YMMV.

8. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

Vintage can be great but are often inconsistent. Not the brand to buy online used.

9. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

My understanding is that Wilkinson supplies the tuners, pickups and bridge/trem on Vintage brand guitars. Price wise they are comparable to Squiers CV. Spec wise they are superior to the CV. I don't have any personal experience with the Vintage brand but I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on one since all of the Wilkinson parts are better. You would likely need to upgrade all three on the CV and it would cost even more.

The Fender Player is a step up, but night and day better, no. It's more of a subtle refinement. If you care about an extra fret, a trem you can actually use, a tone control for the bridge pickup, and an F on the neckplate plus the Spaghetti Fender logo, then the Player is for you. If not, don't spend the extra dough.

Yes, in my experience, the Fender Player is MUCH better than the Squier Classic Vibe. The Vintage probably is too.

I was seriously considering getting a Vintage in Fiesta Red before I bought my Player. I really like that color. I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on my Player.

Blackmore Fan likes this.