Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Player Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Skinny Nitro, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

I think the logic behind all the speculation is why is it cheaper? They are a corporation, they don’t just give away stuff without making it work financially for them but as I said as long as the neck, body are the same as standard and the new pups are decent I’m sold on this new line for the price. That is of course if you want to mod.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

THe block in the standards has been full size for years. The two point bridge used on this new model looks like the one used on the classic players, also with a full size block. All guitars are built to a price. "Cheap" does not always mean lower quality, the guitars themselves are "cheap" compared to US made Fenders.

PF Twanger likes this.
  3. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

I like these very much! I had a Classic Player. I didn't meant "lower quality", just trying to find out if the rumors are true or not (about the cheaper pots and electronics).

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Never can tell what decisions the bean counters will hand down ,but this would definitely be the wrong one !

I hope it only rumor too .

AxemanVR likes this.
  5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    I'd go as far as to say that it would cause many people "in the know" to at least hesitate if they put cheaper stuff in the Player series Fenders, especially at those prices.

I seriously doubt those rumors are true myself, but we shall see won't we...

`

fattboyzz likes this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Asinine move for sure considering the pennies in savings :confused::confused:

AxemanVR likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Has anyone seen pictures of the Strat or Tele pickguard/control plate flipped over with all the populated parts to ogle?

Comparison to a Standard side by side would be great to see -- For Science!

PF Twanger likes this.
  8. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

Does anyone know if the string spacing on the bridge is American size or import size?

9. Thrup'ny Bit

It's the same as the US 2 point bridge.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  10. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

2 pt bridges, even the American ones are always narrow spaced, same as the old MIM standard with the 6 screw bridge. Vintage wide spacing is used on the MIM Classic Series/JLV/ Road worn etc and USA Vintage style models. The HWY1/American Special has a hybrid style bridge with wide mount spacing and narrow string spacing. Pre 2006 HWY1s are wide mount/wide string spacing like the Classic series and AVRIs

BuddyHollywood and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  11. Yogi

A Couple of things, the CV are Alder, not basswood. Pretty nice Alder bodies at that from the ones I've seen stripped

I think you have that backwards, I've always experienced the ceramic pickups to be better with High Gain, the Alnicos in the CV I find to be quite nuanced and have that essential strat quack.

The only area that could use an upgrade in the CVs are the pots and switch. Ive changed the block out on a couple and found it made no difference, it sounded good without a block "upgrade"

bolognahead and PF Twanger like this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

The jump is from $599 > $649, as I understand it.

13. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

I only ever had the import string spacing on a Strat bridge in the past but have recently gotten a vintage spaced bridge on a Strat and while it's a subtle change I found I prefer it.

14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Wasn't he referring to the previous price increase?

nickmsmith and AxemanVR like this.
  15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender have done it before. Remember the 2 knob Strat from 1983? To try to compete with the ever increasing quality of Japanese guitars, someone decided to save a few $s by removing one tone pot & the angled jack socket & putting the jack socket in the vacant hole in the scratchplate. The result? Possibly the least popular US made Strat ever, & now easily the cheapest US made Strat you can find on the secondhand market.

All to save a few $s....

PF Twanger and AxemanVR like this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

It comes down to this: "You can have the 2 point bridge, but then we'll have to use some cheaper components elsewhere to meet the specified production costs".

17. Yogi

Umm have you checked the prices on them recently? they've definitely crept up. They aren't bad guitars, I really like the 12" radius necks on them and the pickups sound great.

This one sold for near 1200

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=183167245877

This one for 1100
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=192545032089

18. Thrup'ny Bit

Isn't it funny how unliked Strats from 35-40 years ago are now highly desirable collectors items? :)

19. PF Twanger

PF Twanger Strat-Talk Member

You're correct on both points. After I posted, I looked up the CV 50s spec and saw that it is indeed alder.

I only play clean, with light amp drive, and have found that the pickups on my 2006/7 Mex Standard give me a very sweet tone, especially with a good delay pedal on my Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Therefore, I was guessing that players who prefer the CV pickups must be looking for a different sound. I've since seen others post more in line with your comments. My mistake.

I can only post my experience that of the four or five CVs that I've auditioned over the years, the necks felt smaller, and the bodies felt dead. No lively acoustic overtones like you usually get with alder, or--especially--ash. The fit and finish for everything visible was consistently high on all of them, which is what made me want to pick them up. I've *tried* to like them!

20. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

well i think that that has been addressed in the price increase. keep in mind that the more guitars that use the same parts they make the cheaper those parts will be for them to buy in bulk. i doubt the actual cost will exceed more than $10 (if that) and they raised the price $50

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.