Fender Professional II

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zimbo, Oct 4, 2021.

1. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

Just curious if anyone had a problem with the neck? Deep C with tall thin frets? Also I'm wondering how much hum it has in the 1,3 and 5 pickup positions? I have a good deal on one that I'm thnking about getting.

Stratafied likes this.
  2. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

It has typical Strat hum in 1, 3 and 5. I’ve had no problems with the neck on mine.
    Not sure what sort of problems there would be.

3. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Seems like most of us think the Pro IIs will go down as legendary.

I just got a Pro II Jazzmaster, also, and it's spectacular. The tall frets are much smoother than you might imagine, and the Deep C neck is still thinner than the 60s C. (Thinner than a 50s Soft V, too.). Plus, the Pro II has a satin neck, very smooth and no stick at all.

Caedarn, JP68 and Deviljho like this.
  4. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Love the neck and the tall frets.

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

What’s the primary difference between an AmPro and an AmPro ll ?

6. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I'm pretty much set on guitars for life, but a few months ago I played an Am Pro II Jazzmaster, and I've been obsessed with the neck ever since. It felt perfect.

cranky likes this.
  7. cranky

Minimal. The pickups were "updated" or changed, whatever the right word is, from V-mod to V-mod II. And the Pro II adds the push-push pot to combine the bridge and neck pickups. (To my knowledge, that wasn't on the first Pro series.)

But I've never played a Pro. Only a Pro II.

8. geetaruke

geetaruke Strat-Talker

The heel carve is probably the other big difference.

9. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

Legendary? They're certainly nice guitars but that's some pretty strong hyperbole, given the popular models that have come down through the years.

jtoomuch likes this.
  10. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

I have an Am Pro II and think the neck is fantastic.

11. cranky

I'm a regular Nostradamus

Stratbats and Willmunny like this.
  12. Lance071

Lance071 Strat-Talker

The guitar is a great guitar no doubt. I'm in the minority though that I didn't like the neck. It's the modern width so a little wider than vintage. My SRV neck still felt smaller and more comfortable to me. It's the Professional's tall frets with the wider neck deeper c that just added up to a lot especially after the 7th fret for bending etc. Chord playing it's phenomenal and articulate solos etc. With the tall frets you'll barely have to touch the fretboard. It's a light touch. Plus the pickups are some of the clearest I've ever heard and the tremolo is almost perfect in how it is responsive for a strat. So I was bummed when I just felt I had to return it or replace the neck. For reference I really like medium jumbo frets or even jumbo with a little wear. 6.50 necks and 9.5 to 12 radius with a C shape is my favorite. Just my personal experience. Definitely try it out first and it might be the right one for you.

JP68 likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

Thanks

14. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

I am also a lover of the AmPro II's neck... Although it is thinner than I normally go for, it has nice shoulders. And, while it does not fill my palm, it is a very comfortable neck. It is not thin, but far from thick. I haven't found it to cause any cramps yet (which is a real problem for me and thin necks)

The tall frets are probably what make the neck that much easier for me to play... They keep me from throwing the Kung Fu Death Grip on it. But, I have also learned over the last 30 some odd years to lighten the heck up on my grip. I am not really a fan fo tall frets. But, these don't feel particularly crazy-tall. Maybe that's another positive of that lighter finger pressure as well?

I play both thumb over and thumb down the center.... chords, fills, bends like crazy, etc. All easy as pie.

As for noise in 1,3 and 5? I get some, but far from the worst Strat I've owned in the past! It's typical single coil hum, I guess.

Either way, I love my AmPro II Strat!

15. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

All American strats are good. If you like the neck, buy it. Pickups are an easy swap.

Although I prefer the feel of standards and specials, I did notice that the pickups on the professionals sound better and more refined.

jtoomuch likes this.
  16. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I love the neck on my AmProII neck so much I bought one from the Stratosphere and put it on my American Special. I think the term "narrow-tall" scares a lot of people because they think the frets will feel like they're a half-inch tall...that's not the case at all, they feel fantastic.

Hum on the AmProII is no more or no less than a typical Strat.

17. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

I want to buy one so badly. I visit my local one at guitar center weekly just to make sure it's still there! the neck feels perfect to me and the sound is classic strat

18. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

So far there are no Dark Night with maple neck in my area so.......

jtoomuch likes this.
  19. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

The necks, necks, man the necks on these. Am I missing something? Satin neck that feels identical to a modern C. Maybe a bit wider, frets feel a little different I think.

I get the appeal, fender says deep C shape and I was sold. Go grab one and it’s slightly different(maybe) than any modern C shape out there. @Axis29 explains it the best. It’s not this, it’s not that, it was my technique which is probably true.

Axis29 likes this.
  20. Froggy55

Froggy55 New Member!

hello everyone so i recently bought a fender am pro II Strat dark knight hss config with rosewood fretboard i really love the sound the neck is really comfortable but there is one really big problem my low e a and d all fret from the 6th to 7th fret down to the last. i have adjusted the truss rod i loosened it a bit which helped the fret buzz stop but its not gone entirely before i loosened the truss rod it fretted from the 2nd fret all the way to the 22nd fret so there was definitely some improvement but the fact that it is fretting at all is not cool I'm real disappointed about this cuz i spent almost $1800.00 on this guitar and you would think that fender would have better quality control on top of that i got a nasty smelling case however fender took of that and sent me a replacement I'm not sure if my problem is imbalanced frets or something else if anyone has any suggestions please let me know i recently read about some one else who got this same guitar and had to have the frets fixed other than the frets issue i really love this guitar i play it every day when i got this guitar i upgraded some things on it i put fender locking tuners on it and replaced the saddles with the Highwood ones which are awesome no more scratching my hand on screws and they have a groove to keep the string in one place i also added 2 more springs so i could have looser tensions on my strings when i first got the guitar they were way to tight for my liking i could not bend hardly any of the strings it plays quite nice but again the frets hopefully i find a way to fix this im not afraid doing a little fret work but i would like some advice first then ill try to solve this any ways thanks ahead of time