1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Fender pure vintage 59 vs CS Fat 50s

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Gianni_boy, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Gianni_boy

Gianni_boy Commercial Suspension

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this very useful forum...its a greay resorce for info.
    Im currently doing a strat build am torn between these two pickups.
    Ive heard alot of good things about the new pure vintage pickups but havent tried them, but have personally played the fat 50s and like em alot, but they can be a bit modern sounding.....how do the 2 compare and how do you guys like the pure vintage stuff compared to the custom shop stuff?
    P.s ive noticed the CS pickups usually soind "looser" and "airier" and "richer" with more sustai then regular production strat pickups.

2. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

I'm not a pickup snob - not by a longshot. I will say that the Vintage '59s changed everything about how I feel concerning the Strat bridge pickup and what it can be.

3. Bygones

Bygones Strat-Talker

Like you said the fat 50s sound more modern. They have an expanded bass sound compared to the 59s which are the same in every position, just like true strat pickups would have been. The fat 50s are named weirdly, they're not fat at all, wide if anything. They've got a larger EQ spread than most strat pickups.

4. Gianni_boy

Gianni_boy Commercial Suspension

Thanks for the replys guys, threw my expierience ive noticed CS Pickups sound fuller and more resonant...also louder, maybe because ive basically sat on guitar stores testing out every custom shop relic strat (with fat 50s cs 69s etc) and american vintage series strats (PV 59 or 65) and maybe its the woods or thin finish but the american vintage series guitars sound good but thin, "tight" and muffled as opposed to the CS stuff that tend to sound more open and full......maybe its the guitar that would heavily influence the sound of these pickups?
    This is the reason i am confused with the many posts ive read saying that the Pure vintage series pickups sound better then most custom shop pickups.
    I guess i would have to try these two sets in the same guitar...but that might not be that easy.

5. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I haven't tried fat 50s and pv59s in the same guitar but imo the pv59 pickups smoke the fat 50s in regards to traditional strat tone.

They're both very good but like most things it's a preference thing.

GoodGolly likes this.
  6. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

I'm also a fan of these, but I'm curious - when I installed mine I also moved the bottom tone control to just control the bridge. Did you leave yours wide-open? Just wondering what I might be missing out on.

Can you describe what you're hearing?

7. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

The Fat 50's are a balanced set, the PV 59's are all one pickup with no RWRP. With the PV59, you have three 6.0k pickups, where as the Fat 50 neck and middle are higher than 6k while the neck is below 6k, so the main difference is that the PV59's bridge will have a more vintage surf vibe. Both use AlNiCo 5 pole pieces.

dogletnoir likes this.
  8. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

I have the bridge wired to tone as well. Prefer things that way. Overall, I hate drawing conclusions from charts and numbers, so I will ignore that.

To me, in setups where Strat bridges can be strident, unpleasant and "piercing but still thin", these kind of chill out. Still a "hifi" sound. Very clear, but smooth.

I can ram them into a fender style overdriven amp with a treble-forward booster before it and still have a smooth compression.

It has some balls. I don't miss having a humbucker when playing rock.

GoodGolly likes this.
  9. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

I love the pure vintage 59 set, still adapting because I'm used to have overwound stuff.. Its a learning curve, so I even put an ssl-1 (rwrp) on the bridge to have a little more..but I'm not sure if I prefer it from the 59..but for now its ok.

I wired the tone knob to bridge and middle. I had a middle full open and it was too harsh and louder, completely unbalanced the set. I guess, and thinking as I write, that if the bridge pickup is wide open (standard fender wiring) one could drop the bridge pickup into the pickguard - getting rid of some harshnesd- and still get loud enough to compensate for the bridge lower string vibration... Makes sense? Maybe Leo fender got it right from the beginning. I feel I'm going full circle and back to the roots.. Lol.

10. Single Malt

Single Malt Strat-Talker

Between the two, the Fat 50's or the PV'59s, '59s by a huge margin if you're looking for more of a vintage, low output tone. I've played both and the Fats didn't stay in my Strat very long. I used the PV '59s for several years until I bought a set of Klein Epic '59s. Even more of all of the good things the PV'59s do. Clearer, more harmonics, better feel, woodier, more responsive to picking. Tighter bass as well. More of that piano tone that many seek after.