Fender Roasted Maple Neck Defect Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FSR-MZA, Oct 13, 2021.

1. FSR-MZA

FSR-MZA Strat-Talk Member

Thanks everyone who replied (at least anyone who replied with a respectful, objective point/comment). I was merely trying to find out people's opinions on these issues I'm having with these Roasted Maple Necks. I also have a Fender Channel-Bound Neck (perfect, with NO skunk stripe issue) and a Fender Select Blackwood that has a Skunk-Striped neck (also perfect).

The reason that I'm being so critical is because I'm replacing the original neck on my MIM Strat that had the skunk stripe pop out and the frets needed to at a minimum level/recrown, but possibly need a refret. Hence my attention to the skunk stripe (in fact, I would prefer to get one without, but I don't see that option from fender for a 12" radius roasted neck).

I don't feel that a NEW, off the shelf, neck for $300-$350 from Fender should look like this. Maybe I am being picky (that why I asked you guys for your opinion), but if this is the norm, then I DON'T want one of these necks from Fender and I will just get something from Warmoth, etc.

stratocarlster and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have a roasted maple neck I purchased from Warmoth earlier this year. It has exactly the same issue with the skunk stripe. The skunk stripe is walnut and the neck is maple. It could be during the roasting process the walnut and the maple cure/shrink at different rates. Mine is perfectly smooth even without finish. I treated mine with Tru Oil. It is very nice and the slight gap in the skunk stripe makes no difference. I'm pretty OCD and it doesn't bother even me. ;)

3bolt79 and FSR-MZA like this.
  3. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

I remember when only guitar players bought guitars. They wouldn't notice that for halfa dozen years probably.

rct

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

It's my understanding that the roasting is done before the neck is cut from the lumber.

5. FSR-MZA

Exactly what I thought also, which is why I don't understand why (with roasted maple being more stable) there would be ANY ISSUE with a skunk stripe fitting properly.

6. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I’ve actually had a MIM road worn series strat that had the walnut skunk stripe pop out at the exact spot. No finish on the back of the neck.

Guitar player or not how is that acceptable? People are just way to quick to judge on something that may actually become a problem. Mine did and the guitar was not playable. They offered me to return the guitar or get a replacement neck. I returned it and will never buy another.

Nate D and FSR-MZA like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Well, don't let little facts like that spoil the theme of the whole thread. :D

TepidPilot likes this.
  8. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I have a couple of the Fender Roasted Flat Oval necks. I never even looked at that but they are great necks for the money. Don’t look at the gap at the heel if that little gap bothers you.

A88DF417-555A-4D0E-9800-0849701D1712.jpeg

9. FSR-MZA

wrong end of the skunk stripe. What does the top look like?

10. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

This is why the only thing I like roasted is food.

11. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

My point is, that tiny gap is trivial compared to the Grand Canyon at the heel.

On one of my 2 necks, there is 0 gap. On another, there is a tiny gap similar to all the ones you posted.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

while the lack of filler there might be a visual concern, it means nothing.. however I would be apoplectic about all the swirl marks remaining.. unless you did it while roughing up the back of the neck..

r

vid1900 and Nate D like this.
  13. Intune

I like how everyone seems to think this is acceptable. The most important part of the guitar is the neck and how it feels. The guy already had a skunk strip pop out, so I see his concern.

This one looks like it’s pushed in. Imagine your hand hitting that every time you slide up and down the neck. DCACDD0A-5AAD-4A02-AE63-1C3A409F139D.jpeg

FSR-MZA likes this.
  14. Intune

Those swirl marks are the real nice sanding job done before the very little finish goes on. It actually feels horrible in your hand. Really rough like.

15. FSR-MZA

NO, this is how it looked straight out of the Fender Box it shipped in.

16. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

My one piece rosewood American Pro Tele is like that. Doesn't bother me even a little bit. The dings and nicks on my other necks are worse than that, and I don't run out to get them fixed either.

rct

17. Intune

How does the overall finish on the neck feel? Is really rough almost like gritty feeling? The replacement roasted necks feel like that to me and so do the new road worn series. They almost feel like they sprayed dirt into the finish to give it a texture.

18. Intune

If he can feel this with his hand than it’s a potential issue. I’ve had one pop out and so did he.

Do the necks you have with dings and dents come new in a box like that? Not likely and if they did you’d probably send them back.

I’m not saying this little gap is a issue. I see one that the strip looks pushed in. I wouldn’t want that. The rest I’d just clear and finish myself because I can and would. Especially get rid of the horrible finish that looks to be on all of them. That’s gross.

19. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

Mine is perfect. Can’t see it, can’t feel it. Roasted maple neck on a 2020 American Professional.
    [​IMG]

FSR-MZA likes this.
  20. FSR-MZA

I would say it feels chalky, or how it would feel after it was sanded and not wiped off or buffed at all. It doesn't feel bad or rough, but just like a layer of dust.