Fender Roasted Maple Neck Defect Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FSR-MZA, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I've never had a roasted neck, but I can say that none of the non-roasted necks that I have are like that. They all look like a perfect fit.

I remember having a neck once with a gap like that, and like @Intune said, I could feel it, and it did bug me. So I think I have to be on the side of Fender can do better.

2. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

First, I'm not going to assume it is pushed in based on a 10x magnification. Second, I'm not going to assume I can feel it enough to care based on a picture, without actually feeling it.

Third, is don't participate in favorite color threads.

Fourth, the feel of the neck being the most important aspect of the guitar has very little to do with feeling tiny blemishes. Any of my guitars that are over 10 years old have little bumps and dings that tower over those tiny gaps, heck the grain on my rosewood necks have gaps bigger that that, all over. Do they stop being great feeling necks because of it? Nope.

Now that said, whatever melts your butter is fine by me, I'm just opinionating. If a flawless neck finish is part of what you need to have a great neck, that is your prerogative. The "you're crazy" comment was tongue in cheek, your high expectations are as valid to you as my different expectations are to me, so respect, no harm intended and apologies for the ribbing.

Boyd L and Intune like this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Hey all fair points for sure, no need to apologize!! I definitely respect your opinion, we just have different ones :)

I also usually stay away from these threads because it’s some weird dimple or wood grain “blemish” that’s totally normal.

It’s just I went through this same garbage with a road worn neck. The middle of the skunk stripe popped out enough that I could rest a pick on it and push it and out like a spring board. I returned the guitar.

So I’m leery of any type of skunk stripe blemish even very minor if one already popped out on me.

StratMike10 likes this.
  4. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I tend to side with the consumer rejecting these. Look at how sloppy each is. And I just looked at the 2 Squier Strats (Bullet & Affinity) that I have and each skunk stripe is flawless at the headstock visible end. What it looks like in the neck pocket is anyone's guess ? But this is total visible and even a spot you can feel playing it. If Squier Indonesia can get it right, I think a Fender USA neck should be as good. I mean the Squier guitars as assembled are about what a replacement neck would cost. QC failed that day in the neck assembly shop. And for this to be called out as rejection criteria for an RMA and they keep sending another with a different shape or depth of the same problem. All he wants is the guitar back in it's original condition.

stratocarlster and FSR-MZA like this.
  5. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talk Member

I have 5 Fender non-roasted necks with skunk stripes, all recent (a 2019, two 2020's and two 2021's) and 5 all are absolutely perfect wood to wood, no gaps. That's the beauty of CNC machinery. Two of them are Fender replacement necks, which they don't make separately or any differently from ones sold attached to guitars, that's why the replacement necks all have serial numbers on them, the only difference being that they're only entered into the registration database if Fender bolts it onto a guitar.

I'm guessing it's something endemic to roasted necks with mahogany stripes. Maybe the roasted wood sucks some of the moisture out of the mahogany and it shrinks. That said, it appears to be highly magnified and I don't know if I'd worry about it.

6. bobbybro

bobbybro New Member!

Why do I read threads like this? Is this some sort of a joke? I think I read them because I can't believe what I'm reading and it amuses me. This has got to be the stupidist concern I have ever seen. Or at least one of them. Now I'm becoming part of the problem.

Boyd L, StratMike10 and nutball73 like this.
  7. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

Does it stay in tune? Great ! If you are still bothered about your neck spot, give the old neck a good swipe at the mic stand .... there, problem solved. Now a real ding to look at. Enjoy playing your instrument brother, don't just look at it like it's a piece of fine china.

StratMike10 and buzzword like this.
  8. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talker

2021 MIM
    BE61792A-A8D8-4317-B040-C497AA922EE1.jpeg

1991 AmStd
    30F42AAC-BA77-4634-AE22-8D7A11E91924.jpeg
    Never bothered me. I didnt realize for 30 years in fact...til today.

Blue Beagle, StratMike10 and FSR-MZA like this.
  9. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Ooh new game! Let's all post magnified pictures of our skunk stripes!

Do you guys realise what you are doing? Really?

:rolleyes:

StratMike10 likes this.
  10. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talk Member

I don't worry dinging my guitar, I used to until I owned one long enough to realize it's gonna happen whether you like or not, so might as well relax. Does it play well? That's all you need to know.

StratMike10 likes this.
  11. StratMike10

Wait, you don’t get it... you have to keep magnifying the until you find the flaw!

12. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Defective?!? LMAO.

NOT A CHANCE.

13. StratMike10

This thread reminds me of the kid’s story The Princess and the Pea.

I’m gonna rewrite it and call it The Princess and the Microscopic Strat Neck Flaw.