Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender So-Cal?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ToyoMojo, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Naradajim

Naradajim Senior Stratmaster

Somebody has to fart those unicorns though. That's gotta hurt.

if you didn't come to rock, then roll.

2. Made Marcoe

Made Marcoe Strat-Talker

my favorite 'les paul' is a MIK squire set neck, string thru, contoured top tele w/ two HB's & a push-pull coil splitter. It is a sweet guitar. Poly coated body and neck feel great. I don't notice a whole lot of stickiness 'cause of the painted neck as some might think. Whatever is covered up by the paint can't be all that bad...this thing sustains forever.I don't think they made this one for too long, so I guess it might be somewhat rare as far as squires go. It is the ONLY guitar I own that has no blemishes, so I kind of try to keep it that way. But, I pick her up to play alot! I paid less than $100 for it so it does not compare to a $600 purchase, but its neck is painted, it's got humbuckers, and it is MIK. It is a real player. If it were lost I would get another. I bet I would be able to find another one of these a LOT easier the we could find another So Cal...

3. Naradajim

Naradajim Senior Stratmaster

I've owned a lot of guitars and played a lot more. I've played sticky painted necks, varnished/lacquered necks and some stains that felt like Emory board. Three necks I've owned or played stand out as offering no resistance. A Roadworn I picked up in a store just to see what the fuss was about.. Early Godin LGT mahogany neck with oil finish. My black painted 86 Contemporary. A guy who played it called it magic paint because it felt like no paint at all. Even with sweaty hands, it's effortless to move around on.

Generally speaking, no painted necks for me, other than the one I've got, but you have to play it to see how it is. Generalizations put us in the ballpark with guitars, but there are exceptions to every guitar rule I've ever read on this forum.

if you didn't come to rock, then roll.

4. astacks

astacks Strat-O-Master

Ahhh man u should've gotten it I had a MIK lite ash tele I let go (didn't know about setting up guitars then what a shame) I miss it everyday.

5. ToyoMojo

ToyoMojo Senior Stratmaster

Well I caught a lot of flack from everyone on it, including my own flesh and blood, and it would have just hung on the wall anyway. Oh well.

Sam

6. halcyon

halcyon Strat-Talker

Lol, good choice to leave it. Seven years of being there? Think of all the people that have seen that guitar. Some of them collectors and really knowledgeable people. If you buy it, next thing we know there will be a "Buyer's Remorse... So-Cal Strat" thread.
    BUT. Maybe play it for a bit, and give the review.

Gotta agree with many of the replies. Way over-priced. I wouldn't pay more than 350 for it.

7. ToyoMojo

ToyoMojo Senior Stratmaster

Not funny - you're a loser. And I'm buzzed on wine. Currently suffering from a terrible lost chance. Don't pay any attention to what I'm posting right now.

Sam

8. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

If you didn't know who the So-Cal Speed Shop was, that guitar was not made for you. If you can afford THAT guitar, you can take that money and get a much better playing one. One that was made for you. You'll know it when you play it. You may need to play a lot of different guitars to find it, though. Not that playing a lot of different guitars is a bad thing!

9. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Agreed.
    Took me 15 years to find my Jeff Beck.

10. TrackerDan

TrackerDan Strat-Talk Member

So-Cal

What is the name and phone number of the store again?

11. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker Strat-O-Master

That guitar is cool as ****. Wheres it at?

12. BarryR

BarryR Senior Stratmaster

E-bay has one for $895 and according to my Google search they originally sold for $1k.
    Who knows what the value will be in the future so this one is best considered an "I want it" rather than an investment. Besides it can be built and painted using a Squier donor guitar.

FENDER® SO-CAL SPEED SHOP STRATOCASTER® () - Elderly Instruments

13. TrackerDan

TrackerDan Strat-Talk Member

S-C

Whatup??

14. larryjm

larryjm Strat-Abuser

SO-CAL was speed shop that opened up in 1946 on Victory Boulevard in Burbank, by a man named Alex Xydias. He loved racing. His cars set land speed records, in 1951 he set a land speed record of 210 mph. Pretty impressive for that year. All his cars were painted in the same colors and pattern as the guitar.
    In 2005 Fender made this guitar as a limited edition. With 1 humbucker, 1 volume control, hardtail bridge with a basswood body.
    Well it ever be a collectable.??
    I think yes it well. but you would have to wait 20 plus years or more for something like this to start happening. But then you have a rare, one off SO-CAL limited edition guitar.
    Personally I would buy this, In the future If by chance it doesn't go up in value. You know for a fact it well not go down in value.
    This is just my 2 cents worth.

15. Zipperfoot

Zipperfoot Senior Stratmaster

My guess is you re buying it as an investment? You did not say anything about how it played or sounded.

Korea and China make fine instruments, but remember the reason they are made there is because they are cheaper to produce. So as a result the cost to the end user is less. I do not know what these went for new, but from my experience a rare cheap guitar is harder to put a value on. It really is a crap shoot. I'd say do some internet research and go with your instincts.

Just remember rare does not always mean desirable.

16. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Stratmaster

Kicking up an old one, just scored one of these. There were only 600 of them made. Mine is number 24 out of 600.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
  17. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Strat-Talk Member

Here's mine. Bought it new in 2005. Paid $1000 taxes in. Great sounding pick-up.:D

Attached Files:

18. Dave P

Dave P New Member!

Hi there ... Just got one .... How do you tell what number in the series your guitar is ... ?

19. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I like......

20. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    You like? You just started a thread about how ugly they are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.