Fender Squier Strat & Fender Player Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by ray1954, Jul 8, 2021.

1. ray1954

ray1954 Strat-Talk Member

Hello Everyone, what is the qualitative difference between a Fender Squier Strat and a Fender Player Strat? Thanks for your tips and advice

Stratafied likes this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @ray1954

generally the Squier Bullets and Affinities have thinner body and narrower nut spacing.
    Pickups may be a little on the hotter side.

it sorta depends I think on what looking for.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

The Fender Player Strat is a specific model from Fender, made in Mexico.....one with an identifiable price point and specs....

"Squier Strat" is super generic and does not name any model, they range from like $180 to over $400 new.......

We need to look at specifically model vs model.....so pick a Squier model.....

The ones that can compete with a Mexico made Player Series is probably a Squier Classic Vibe.....

ray1954 and surfnturf like this.
  4. ray1954

Thank you for your reply

5. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Go with the players.

Antstrat, Kimex and ray1954 like this.
  6. ray1954

I thought I'd go for a Player rather than a Classic Vibe given no big price difference. I thought I'd go for a Player rather than a Classic Vibe given no big price difference. Thanks!

Exhead, Guitarmageddon and Stratafied like this.
  7. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

In the USA, the Fender Player is typically $750 USD and the Squier Classic Vibe is typically $430 USD. That makes the Player cost $320 USD more than the Classic Vibe.

Many people prefer one instead of the other. If I was buying one, it would be the Classic Vibe. In my opinion, it's quality is close enough to the Player to be an excellent guitar.

It's a personal preferrence: they are both excellent guitars and you should play each one to see which neck shape you prefer. Either guitar could work well for you.

ray1954 likes this.
  8. ray1954

Hi archetype, I have had many Fender both guitars and basses in my life now I just have a wonderful Fender Squier Bullet Stratocaster with a nice sound and a fantastic fretboard but not being younger (sigh ...) I am still tied to the Fender logo and I believe that one Player is for me .Thanks for your words

archetype likes this.
  9. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

The Player in my opinion is the highest quality MIM strat you can buy, well worth the extra money.

Sureshot33 and ray1954 like this.
  10. ray1954

Very well, thank you!

11. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

The qualitive difference between a Squier and a Fender are the neck shape and the electronics.

archetype and ray1954 like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The neck carve, if you inspect carefully you will see the carve starts on the front fretboard face and cuts back on the Squiers. One the MIMs/MIAs the carve starts behind the fretboard or leaves nearly flat sides and thus much more wood on the rear shoulders even if the width and depth are within half a mm. Squire necks feel much thinner as the circumference of the neck is skinnier. Most non-Fender/Squier copy brands actually copy the Fender MIA carve shapes and so if you are a fan of chunky necks then go chase the Glarry, Eart, Grote, and Harley Benton models (or in the used market the Spectrum, First Act, and others).

Often thinner bodies and of course the 'import' wiring harness parts plus ceramic magnet pickups (ceramic pickups are not a problem, I leave them and upgrade the pots/caps/switch/jack).

I look at Squier bullet/affinity models (though I've stopped because of the too-skinny necks) and prefer the Glarry, Eart, and Harley Benton for low cost. Any of the higher end Squier models are priced so close to the Player Series MIMs that I'd rather have the MIMs for resale -- many buyers of used guitars want Fender on the headstock not Squier.

ray1954 likes this.
  13. ray1954

Hi jvin248, Thank you very much for this precious information that I did not know, I deepened looking at the difference in the fretboard and I saw these particularities you reported. For the choice of the guitar I would go to Fender Player for the sentimental reason of the logo on the headstock and also as you say for a matter of enhancement of the instrument.Thank you! Have a nice day

14. cement_head

cement_head Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Interesting, I bought a Squier specifically because I really liked the feel on the neck in my hand. Didn't know that others copied the MIA Fenders.