Fender Strat '62 Reissue 2002 Seafoam green

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Micktobora, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Micktobora

Micktobora Strat-Talk Member

Hey hrsdtrat57 .. when you say a 'flipped 5 way switch..' what do you mean by flipped?

2. Micktobora

Thanks John C for the information. I'll be keeping the 5 way selector. According to Guitarologist, the one thats in there is the older type, not the one that came with the guitar. He suggested I get a genuine one from Fender. Do you think this would make any difference - tone wise?
    The other question ive got to ask you and everyone here is pickup heights - to suit these low output pickups. As can be seen in one of the pics, the bridge pickup is very close to the strings - especially the top E srtring. I cant take a measurment right now because I havent restrung it yet, (due to the wiring changes), but at a guess id say its more or less about 2mm from top of the first pole to the bottom of the first string. I havent changed anything since I bought it last week, but playing it, that bridge pickup certainly is bright almost to the point of being harsh. I know pickup height is subjective and depends on the ears of the player but for me it seems way too close the way it is. My Teles have fairly high gain bridge pickups in them; (Bare Knucle Flat 50.. 10.5k I think and the other has a Don Mare '53 at 11.5k) and their no way as close as that to the bridge pickup. The Vintage pickups in this AVRI im pretty sure have A5 magnets which are magnetically the strongest.
    So, any info you guys out there may have, by experience with these pickups, would be a lot of help. Thanks and thanks again!

Gedster likes this.
  3. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

For clarity, the switch swap will make zero change in tone. I suggested that just in case you wanted OEM parts in the guitar. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

John C and Micktobora like this.
  4. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

Wow, they’re some monumental DCR values on those Tele pups! What sort of amps are you playing them into? Yeah, that bridge pickup does look a little high on the low E side. Screw it down a little and se how it sounds.

The action on your guitar looked just a little high for my personal taste. Do you like it up there? The whole guitar might benefit from a decent setup.

fattboyzz likes this.
  5. Micktobora

Yes their high output my Tele pickups but sound awesome.
    I currently play through Fender amps mainly; Deluxe Reverb '68 Reissue and a Super Reverb that's had a Ben Fargen mod on it and a couple of Marshall's from time to time with a fairly modest pedal board.
    String height is ok for me. If l set up the string height any lower I'd get some serious choke outs on bends, especially first string on the upper frets due to the 7.25 radius.
    I've corrected the wiring issues but I've got the bridge pickup connected to the bottom tone pot and the neck and middle to the middle tone pot.

Gedster likes this.
  6. Micktobora

Hi Guys. Sorry for the delay in posting these, just had a lot going on lately.. here they are anyway..

Attached Files:

7. Micktobora

And here's the rest, sorry if there's too many...

Attached Files:

fattboyzz and Gedster like this.
  8. Micktobora

All l can say, she's turned out to be the best sounding, most resonant Strat l have. Amazing tone!

Gedster likes this.
  9. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

Gorgeous looking thing Mick. I’m glad it worked out so well. I think it was a bargain at that price.

I can see that the serial number search comes back as 2002, but I read those pot codes as the 21st week of 06 and I’m not sure that the neck date isn’t May 06 also? Neither here nor there I suppose.

Maybe someone who actually knows these things might tell us?

10. Micktobora

Hi again Gedster. Yes, l did the same search re the serial no. and l came up with 2002.. but as you stated the pot codes come up with 2006. The neck stamp is blurred out a bit but looks like May 2006.
    I've just been playing it in the studio downstairs through a modded Fender Super Reverb and a JVM 205 Marshall - in stereo. It sounds sublime. The neck pickup particularly has that SRV 'bloom' - hit the overdrive with a bit of reverb and delay and your in Gilmour Pink Floyd territory. Quite extraordinary for vintage pickups. (The bridge pickup particularly with the tone rolled off a bit.) Yes, l connected the bridge pickup to the lower tone pot to suit my playing.
    The only issue I'm finding is when l do a big dive with the whammy bar, the tuning isn't stable. Maybe that's because I've set the bridge flat to the body - only just lifting off the body on big double bends. Any ideas to correct this would be much appreciated!

Gedster likes this.
  11. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

12. Micktobora

Thanks.. I'll try that. I had a feeling the issue may be with the bridge, but yes - l should eliminate the nut as the cause first! I'll check out that link!

13. Micktobora

Checked it.. abrasive cords??

14. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talker

Yeah, but they're the sort of thing you throw into a StewMac order when your buying other bits n pieces. Handy to have around. Try some graphite powder to start with id say.

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sure is a pretty thing !

I prefer the Surf green ;)

Glad it all,worked out and youve been enjoying it ;)

16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talk Member

flipped/ reversed

upper position bridge only full on no tone control, downmost neck only.

Played it for a while but eventually flipped it back.

Your guitar is absolutely magnificent, thanks for the pics!

17. CRobbins

CRobbins Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Congrats.

18. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Well just chalk it up to the seller not having the correct date - I would label it a 2006 based on the stamps, etc. and call it a day.

I'm not sure where you could look it up by serial number and verify that it was a 2002 - on AVRIs you always have to go by date stamps, pot codes, etc. Any source that would have put it in a narrower range than "1998-2012" by just the serial number isn't going to be accurate, it's just someone trying to come up with an approximate range of numbers for a given year (of course you can narrow that 1998-2012 range by the color; I don't remember if surf green starts in 2000 or 2002, but it definitely ends in 2010).

With Fender you just never know - that neck plate could have gone from workbench to parts bin multiple times until it was used on this guitar in 2006.

Gedster likes this.
  19. dave999z

dave999z Strat-Talk Member

That is an amazing guitar (love the color). I think the 1998-2012 AVRI '62 Strats are the perfect guitar. The only thing I wish is that they had the thin nitro and clay dots like the subsequent AV series. (Though careful what you wish for. If you look at those guitars funny they get a ding in the finish.) Oh, and the Pat Pend saddles, but you can change those. I absolutely love the vintage frets -- they feel so expressive and sound so good. Love 7.25" radius as well. I don't understand all these 9.5" radius tall fret guitars they call "vintage". :)

I have two at the moment... one 3TS and one in tropical turquoise. I looked for years for one in tropical turquoise, gave up and bought a 3TS, then a few months later found a tropical turquoise of course. Need to sell the 3TS now, but it's hard because it's an awesome sounding guitar. Wish I could collect AVRI '62 Strats in every single color.

I suspect/hope Fender will bring back the '62 reissue someday. It's a pretty iconic model that rehabilitated the company.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021