Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Strat Antigua 'help'

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bilco, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Hi all, I've just taken a chance on a Fender Antigua, I say taken a chance because it's odd. It doesn't have a 70s large headstock but it has a bullet truss rod and a three bolt neck. There is no serial number, the tuners are correct, the neck looks stock Fender as in the decal isn't and add on and the neck is quality.
    I haven't had it apart yet but will tomorrow..

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, I was told when I bought it that it is Japanese, the seller did not know anything about the neck...
    Thanks in advance for any info...

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2014
    England
  3. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    ZlurkCorzDog and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Fendereedo

May 7, 2014
    England
    Hngd and congratulations welcome aboard, hope you didn't think I was being snarky, it's just usually easier to ID with pics. I'm no real expert so others will chime in, but I'm guessing MIJ, or possible partsocaster. Hope I'm wrong on the latter.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I'd be kinda leery without a serial number. Not sure if purchased Fender replacement necks come with a serial or not? Nice guitar though, if the price was right! And yes, one of the basic tenets of our shared religion around here is: "No pics? Didn't happen!"
    Just Prayin'
    Gene

Lovnmesomestrat, Bilco and Fendereedo like this.
  8. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    The fact the neck is a 3 bolt makes me think it was stock, it's not a 4 Bolt neck conversion. And like a wrote before it's quality and the decals look stock ;)

9. Fendereedo

May 7, 2014
    England
    In that case could be a MIJ with serial number scrubbed off the neck heel.

10. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    It's not an original Antigua from the late '70s.
    The Japan made Antigua 'reissue' had the typical large headstock and "Crafted in Japan" and a serial number at the heel.

It's baffling how many questionable Strats we see lately without serial numbers.
    As has been stated quite often there's no good reason for not having a serial number.
    Either it's hot or fake, or both.

Jason D and wildhawk like this.
  11. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    What's more baffling is the small headstock, bullet trussrod and 50s type logo ??

12. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Absolutely no sign of a number being scrubbed off, the finish is consistent throughout the neck, It has a lovely satin sheen...

13. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    A real 78 would have a gloss neck as far as I can remember.

14. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-Talker

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Rastus likes this.
  15. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    This is a new one on me - maybe some kind of replacement neck that had the bullet truss rod adjuster and the headstock was cut down to the small shape? Then the F-tuners and the Fender decal was applied. That would account for no serial number.

I have only seen one "small headstock" neck with a bullet truss rod - but it had the large decal and had a "Genuine Fender Replacement Neck" medallion on the back of the headstock. This was back in 1985 - I stumbled upon a parts guitar that had the Fender neck (it looked like a 1982 "Smith Strat" neck but had the bullet truss rod adjuster), a nice body of unknown origin, and all other hardware was from Schecter (loaded pickguard with Monstertone single coils, tuners, and the old Schaller-made "Trem-lock" tremolo - all black hardware at that). Unique piece; I was trying to decide between it and a beat player-grade '67 since they were both around $500 and wound up missing out on both of them.

stratocarlster likes this.
  16. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Don't take my word for gospel until it's verified by someone else...

...But aren't those 80's and 90's tuners?

17. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

Rule No.1 is never buy something without a serial number.

I'd be pulling the neck off, & checking / counting the drill holes on it.

This looks suspicious to me & it's too late to say steer clear....

At a guess, it's possibly a partscaster, or someone went to the trouble of re-shaping the head-stock, & applied the spaghetti-logo etc etc. Once this sort of thing happens, you really need to check everything out, & pull the guitar to pieces.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

Ciao,

Rastus

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Honestly, I don't like it. I've never seen a small headstock with two trees or a bullet truss rod. The tuners don't make a straight line, as if they're crowded together; they seem to have been rotated slightly to fit instead of the long side forming a straight line. And the decal doesn't appear to be located quite right on the headstock.
    Where did you get that from? If Ebay, don't disassemble it, otherwise you'll lose your return privilege as they'll consider it "modified."

johnnymg likes this.
  19. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-Talker

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    It is a weird one for sure, but I was really just hoping for another "nuke it from orbit regardless" blast, since it's one of your favorite color schemes.:D

ChukkerNation likes this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm not gonna rip on the color scheme of a guitar when someone is sincerely asking for help on it instead of trying to help them; that's just douchey. I don't care for the color but that wasn't the point of the thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  21. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-Talker

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    A fake for sure

johnnymg likes this.