Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Strat Antigua 'help'

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bilco, Mar 17, 2017.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Got it. So if I'm following, it's not douchey at all when some other guy is feelin' happy and says "check out this cool guitar that I got a sweet deal on!" and straight away you say it should have a nuke dropped on it because of it's color? That wouldn't be considered douchey at all? Just making sure I understand.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Asking for opinions and asking for help are different, yes. And if you'll recall, the thread was about a deal that came up on a baritone in that color scheme that was available for sale, not purchased, so it wasn't even directed at anyone.
    Nice try though. :thumb:

3. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Fender used that style of tuners (with the "F" on the back of them) from roughly mid-1967 through 1982, and then again on guitars that are reissues of 1970s models like the Classic Series '72 Tele Custom.

Green Craig likes this.

4. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2013
    Nikolaev, Ukraine
    Best thing I've read on this forum. Hands down.

NEVER criticize someone's choice of color. Just because YOU don't like it.... My mom always told me, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say nothing at all."

Fendereedo and Rastus like this.

5. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    As for the person who said"Fake" it definatley isn't! . Like I put before the neck has not been messed with, only three drill holes, the decal looks stock, the neck is killer quality. As for tuners out of line, from all the pics on the net of these, they are all staggered the same..
    The guitar wasn't an eBay buy, I actually met the guy who was sound and just as baffled as me, he bought it in Wumjos in London and got it fairly cheap because of the lack of serial number. I know Fender made and Eric Clapton Antigua with a small headstock but no bullet truss rod.
    I thought it may be Japanese market one...
    I'm hoping someone on here is an ofisionado and can come up with an answer.
    Thanks to the people with the sensible contributions to the thread;)

6. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    I don't know if it's genuine or not I understand the comments about the tuners being off but like the OP says that's often the case with those tuners. If you look at this picture which is genuine you will see the same thing.
    antigua6.jpg

Bilco likes this.

7. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Hi, What are your reasons for it being a fake ?

8. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Yep ..They are also staggered...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

9. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    I wish you could all feel this neck and see it up close, it's one of the best guitars I played, action is sublime.. I paid £300 for it which in the UK is roughly the price of a second hand Mexican... And it came with a hard case ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    alainvey and john lavelle like this.

10. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Thanks for taking the time :)

11. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Two pics, on my '77 they are in line, and my CP70s, staggered -
    head back.jpg 2000 model year.JPG

Bilco and Rastus like this.

12. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    Post some pics of the neck heel.
    Most likely an after market neck.

Bilco and johnnymg like this.

13. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

May 11, 2014
    At Home
    It's obvious this is not a guitar that you should keep.....sooooo, packaged it up really good and send it to "ME":sneaky: and I will see that it is handled with the dignity and respect it is due during this latter stage of it's poor miserable existence ..... :p

LMSS

Bilco likes this.

14. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Well there's your proof. It's not a '70s Strat neck.

Overall, nice for £300 and certainly distinctive.

15. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    For me, personally, I dig the color, and it looks friggin awesome. I would continue to try to find out as much as you can, but by no means would I be disappointed!! And congrats on that beauty!!

Ronnie12460 and Bilco like this.

16. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

So stratSounds you are being Douchey by questioning the motivation for someone to express an opinion about a color. How about we do the same to you. Or would that be Douchey as well. Since you seem to be the ultimate Judge of these things.
    R

17. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2013
    Nikolaev, Ukraine
    This is a first for me too. I've NEVER seen a 3-bolt, bullet trussrod, "F" tuner, SMALL headstock. And to further complicate it even more, it has a "spaghetti" logo.
    Total mystery to me.

18. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Like I said , only 3 holes in the neck so hasn't been bodged to make it fit, neck is pure quality, all Fender hardware, as for rules about guitars, if it plays great, sounds great and is a quality guitar. You think you shouldn't buy it if it has no serial number ? I know for sure it's not stolen as it was bought by the last owner 'who I met' from Wunjos in London....
    what looks suspicious?
    Decal on the neck is stock, I know what an aftermarket decal looks like ;)

matlor likes this.

19. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    That's exactly why I have come here to find out the mystery;)

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    What I see is this - looks like conversion bushings used in the headstock tuner holes, meaning I think it was designed for larger more modern 10mm tuners.....

What does that tell me? Neck is probably aftermarket....we're probably looking at a partscaster....

I would like to see photos of the neck taken off the body, to look for markings and / or evidence of a 4 screw mount originally.

My guess is the body is either MIJ or late 70s USA.....again I'd have to see the body routes and neck pocket to know this....

@Bilco