Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Strat Antigua 'help'

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bilco, Mar 17, 2017.

1. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 5, 2016
    England
  2. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2013
    Nikolaev, Ukraine
    Sorry I couldn't be more help... :(

Bilco likes this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Senior Stratmaster

May 7, 2014
    England
    Hmm...after market neck maybe? Warmoth, Allparts, other perhaps? With Fender decal added later. Who knows, if it plays good and makes you happy @Bilco, that's what really counts, enjoy knowing that you're playing an enigma! :thumb:

matlor and Bilco like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2013
    Nikolaev, Ukraine
    That's the thing.... I have NEVER seen ANY small headstock with a bullet trussrod.

6. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-Talker

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Well this guy's asking for help by soliciting opinions so that can be a blurry line. Just to be clear, the other Antigua guy said he'd bought 7 guitars from the place and right after that said "check out this sweet Baritone for $299 with free shipping". I took it to be one of his purchases, especially since it's not listed for that price on their site anymore.

I thought you were tap dancing in the guy's Cheerios over his chosen color scheme on a guitar he'd purchased. Either way it was rude, since he was clearly into the Antigua and you promptly dropped a bomb on it, not an "I don't care for that color", but a literal photo of a nuclear bomb mushroom cloud. It seemed like you felt pretty strongly about it so when I saw Antigua in the title of this thread only a day later, I thought I'd have a little fun with it.

7. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Neck has been off, there are only 3 holes, I should have noted markings on the heal and neck pocket, will do next time and I'll have a look at the pups and routing...

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    So it has three holes, but a Fender three bolt neck has two holes and a metal insert held in by two screws which is threaded for the third neck bolt, and is part of the micro tilt mechanism. So basically it should have two wood screws and one machine bolt.

Like this:
    iu-43.jpeg

Bilco likes this.
  9. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    That's what I Meant :) it's exactly the same as your photo. Two wood screws one machine bolt, I should have made that clear ;)

Ebidis likes this.
  10. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I think this is how we end up with mediocrity. If no one who has a criticism ever posts anything, then crap ideas take hold. Be constructive and supportive is a better approach me thinks.

lonegroover and frpax like this.
  11. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    What kind of stamps are in the neck pocket? Any dates, numbers, anything? Too bad you didn't shoot some photos of it off.

As I say in almost 40 years of looking at guitars I've never seen anything like this neck - ever. The only thing similar was the parts guitar I turned up back in 1985 - it had a Fender replacement neck that for some bizarre reason had both the 1982 Smith Strat headstock shape and decal and a bullet truss rod adjuster, and it had a "Genuine Fender Replacement Neck" medallion under the finish on the back.

It seems like the body is the MIM version of Antigua - un-yellowed/gray Antigua while the MIJ runs have tended to be the "aged"/yellowed/greenish Antigua.

12. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    I had the neck off when I bought it yesterday to check it was a three bolt, should have been more observant with the dates and numbers, I will have it off again to check ;) thanks

13. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Thanks everyone for the replies even if I'm still none the wiser, it's good to hear opinions. It'll be a keeper as I've not played a better Strat anyway.
    I hope the guys disagreeing over stuff sort out their differences. Once again thanks for your input...

Fendereedo and frpax like this.
  14. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2013
    Nikolaev, Ukraine
    You're a stand up guy, Bilco. It's nice to see a stand up guy every once in awhile. :thumb:

Fendereedo and Bilco like this.
  15. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    That's the fun of a forum.

Everyone weighs in based on their experiences.

For instance: I have one of those Fender Baritone Antigua guitars. It's the most ugly guitar I own, and that's exactly why I love it.

Bilco likes this.
  16. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
  17. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
  18. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Mate,

You were asking what was "Odd" about this guitar & I responded. Since you have so much confidence in your friends, why ask us ?

Why don't you have another beer, it will make you feel better.

Ciao, & enjoy your fake !

Rastus

19. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-Talker

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Christ, give it up. Move on....

20. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-Talker

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Ehhhh, why don't you move on to this...right here!:sneaky:

21. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    No, it doesn´t. The MiM Antigua is the only one ever made by Fender which had a completely laquered pickguard(not the backside which is white)
    On the MiJ and the originals (including the Clapton) only the top surface of the pickguard are Antigua burst (laquered/foiled).
    The MiM pickguard was a white pickguard(3 ply white/black/white) and the MiJ and the original used a black one(black/white/black).

All the best,
    Robin

vid1900 and Bilco like this.