Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Strat Antigua 'help'

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bilco, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Im pretty sure that is an aftermarket neck cut down to small size and finished. One thing that makes me think that is that the neck looks satin. An original 70s or reissue all would be gloss necks.

2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    I've never owned an Antigua but I've owned several late-CBS Fenders. Here's what I can tell you:

1. Fender didn't built it that way.

2. Pickups aren't original 1970s Fender. (They may be legit newer Fender.) Body, pickguard, knobs, neck plate, bridge, and tuners look like they could be legit Fender, but probably recent reissue and not original 1970s.

3. I've never seen a small headstock Fender Strat neck with a bullet truss rod. (And if I did, I would expect it to be a very early transition Dan Smith, and the headstock shape on those was different.)

I would love to see photos of the neck heel, the neck pocket, and under the pickguard. I would place a small bet on this being a MIM reissue 1970s Antigua Strat with a very unusual replacement neck.

I do NOT think it's 100% fake. Who would go to all that trouble to skillfully fake an Antigua finish and pickguard and a bullet truss rod and then completely botch the headstock?

To the OP, none of this means that it's a bad guitar. It may be an excellent player, worth keeping and enjoying.

Bilco and Yogi like this.
  3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Two other thoughts:

I think Musikraft builds CBS-style Strat necks with bullet truss rods. Maybe it was custom ordered (from them or someone else) with a smaller headstock? If so, it might well be a very nice neck.

If it turns out that the neck is the only part that isn't likely Fender, you could probably buy a MIM 70s Strat neck on eBay or similar for not a lot of money.

Bilco and Yogi like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Was hoping for an intelligent response, and I got some, unfortunately yours was one I'd expect from someone who knows nothing as there was no detail in your response, the kind of response I'd expect from someone who plays a trumpet. I think you're more of a keyboard warrior rather than someone who wants to give advice. I think you need the drink not me. Grow up!

6. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London

7. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    And there you have it: As you're playing the guitar of your dreams with that off-in-neverland look on your face, no one from five feet away is going to know or care if the guitar has a serial number or not, or if it's a "gen-u-wine" Fender or a knock-off.

Play to your heart's content.

Bilco likes this.
  8. jaybones

jaybones Senior Stratmaster

@ Bilco That's not the way you string vintage slot peg head tuners. You cut the string then stick the end into the hole in the center. The slot allows the string to come out on the edge of the peg to be wound.

What you need to do is measure 2 tuners past then clip the string.

9. Pulsar

Pulsar Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2016
    Savannah
    So much hostility on S-T lately. All we need now is for the guy to say he doesn't like Katana amps and it'll be a warzone.

10. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    I never strung it, I've just bought it ....

11. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    The neck is superb, great quality, I'd never change it . It's purposely built for the guitar, it's not a 4 bolt converted to 3. I'll take some pics when I take the neck off...

tealsixtysix likes this.
  12. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    LOL !!!

Just like the fake guitar you have, you sir, are certainly "one of a kind" LOL !!!

I can't say what I'd like to from here regretfully, but I know of a great Gibson SG, with a Flying-V neck, with no serial numbers, it's had the head-stock modified, great pick-ups, & my mates say that you can have it for a great price...Why don't you do an internet search on a Gibson forum & see what they think.

I'm sure they'll tell you you've backed a winner....

Warm regards,

Rastus

PS. Enjoy your lovely guitar !!!

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    He doesn't like Katana amps???
    IMG_2065.jpg

14. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Being a trumpet player, you'll never know. Nice bit of gobbledygook about the Gibson forum,by the way, I guess you've had that drink. Your unwitty retort has confirmed my first impression.
    Enjoy your drink ;)

15. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Now isn't that a co-insidence...I thought the same about your first post...But at least I was polite about my response about you being ripped off...And I understand your frustration...( Kind of, I've never been ripped off, but I imagine it sucks).

Kind regards,

Rastus

16. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    Wasn't ripped off, only 300 notes lol which was probably less than your trumpet... Turns out there were a batch made when they made the 2008 Antigua Eric Clapton ,which had the small headstock,the one I have is a prototype with a bullet truss rod ,some were given out to Fender employees.
    So your random "Fake" shout, was based on you not really having clue lol stick to the trumpet

17. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    What do you have for provenance on that claim? There are still some oddities - like no serial number, no marking as a prototype and no "made in" marking on somewhere. The only other Fenders that were missing the "Made In" decal prior to the 2016 California Product Labeling Law were when they were trying to sell the FM and US Contemporary models as "USA" when they were only assembled in the USA using MIJ bodies and necks circa 1989-1992. But assuming the provenance is accurate then we should fully document it because it is so unique.

18. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    I must admit I get very wary when people start saying they have a prototype.

Too many anomalies for me but I'd love to learn it is correct.

19. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    The pickguard is MiM no question about that. It really can´t be anything else. The Clapton model has a foil put on the pickguard and is not laquered the way the MiM is - top and sides(bevel). It is a fully laquered pickguard made in Mexico just because Fender made just 4 different ones(pickguards) in the entire history of Fender:

1. the originals - 3 ply black/white/black laquered top only (tends to chip)
    2. Clapton - foil on top
    3. Japan - 3 ply black/white/black laquered top only
    4. Mexico - 3 ply white/black/white fully laquered top and sides(bevel) back is white and not laquered

Mexico started making the batch for 500 pieces and it took nearly one year to make all of them. There are no(!) leftovers and all guitars sold to dealers starting the early run. Maybe your guitar is a partscaster but I bet it has a MiM body and a cutomized neck (it looks like it was a big headstock neck but really done well).
    Pull the pickguard and we all know what it is (or was) and how it came together. Maybe you really have one of a kind but then we all know.
    The price you paid is great anyway. I would love to get a body and pickguard for a spare for that kind of money so you really got a great deal.

Life is good,
    Robin

Bilco likes this.
  20. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Post some pics of the pick guard off,body routes and electronics...thanks percy

Robins and Bilco like this.
  21. Bilco

Bilco Strat-Talk Member

Dec 1, 2015
    London
    IMG_2563.JPG T IMG_2562.JPG IMG_2560.JPG View attachment 220937
    Well took the neck off. Neck and body are both from April 2012. Mexican ? Fake lol ?
    Hopefully someone can now tell me. The guy from Fender was obviously guessing as he was 4 years out...