Fender Strat Gig bag…..

Docpage

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 4, 2021
New York
Hey Everyone; Fender gig bag…really good quality, but it’s starting to rip at the seam. Seems a shame to chuck an otherwise solid bag. Any idea for repair? Crazy glue maybe? Thanks!

Attachments

• 90544DFB-F63E-45C2-8E34-324041462B21.jpeg
    90544DFB-F63E-45C2-8E34-324041462B21.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 38

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
I think a needle and thread might do the best job? This exact thing happened me a few years back, on that exact type of gigbag - and I think I used glue, if I recall correctly... I don't know how it lasted though, as I glued it right before selling the guitar! I do think however, now and in hindsight - that a few strong stitches might be the best repair, sewing them particulary strong either end of the tear?

I don't know though... sewing probably isn't as easy as I just made it sound! :)

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Hey Everyone; Fender gig bag…really good quality, but it’s starting to rip at the seam. Seems a shame to chuck an otherwise solid bag. Any idea for repair? Crazy glue maybe? Thanks!
Doubt you’ll repair it successfully, it’s not the seam that’s given out, it’s the fabric, there’s nothing to sew onto and not enough surface area to glue.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Doubt you’ll repair it successfully, it’s not the seam that’s given out, it’s the fabric, there’s nothing to sew onto and not enough surface area to glue.
The Shoe Goo will work. It fills in the gap. I had a similar tear on my Fender gig bag, used Shoe Goo to fix it, and it's been working fine. It's not an invisible repair, but it's durable.

B1BCBC68-ED7B-48C9-9AE0-28D4E99653F9.jpeg

Docpage

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 4, 2021
New York
The Shoe Goo will work. It fills in the gap. I had a similar tear on my Fender gig bag, used Shoe Goo to fix it, and it's been working fine. It's not an invisible repair, but it's durable.

View attachment 565158
Yeah that seems like a good option, because it is a frayed tear, and the glue looks to be elastic enough to hold it together, and you’re right, not looking to win a beatification award, just something so I don’t have to chuck the bag…

Docpage

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 4, 2021
New York
Well the fabric has actually pulled away from the seam, so a good seamstress likely could repair it. But I’m pretty much too lazy to find one, so I’m going to go with the glue….

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK

View attachment 565158
Not familiar with the stuff but looks to be effective. Wonder what it’s sold as over here? Clearly works by forming into material as it dries, rather than glueing the small surface areas.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Might be time for a hard case, something on sale for around $ 100. Come on, man up, show some google search engine frugal shopper skills. A $ 65 on sale ChromaCast hardshell > new Fender gig bag or a repaired ragged out gig bag. Here's one at Amazon, there are other shopping deals as options. Sometimes you have to buy new underwear ?

Gator Open Box ?

Last edited:

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
My experience is that you can fix it, but unless it's just a seam opening up, the material is at end of life. So it will just tear somewhere else.

Considering that there's a fine guitar inside, you wouldn't want the next split to occur suddenly while you're carry it. I wouldn't mend any bag that's leaving the house.