Fender Strat QC ? American Original series

walter01

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve recently bought this beautiful American Original 60’s Strat. I must say I’m both impressed and confused at the same time.

View attachment 583309

Firstly it’s an amazing sounding and playing instrument but there are two things I’ve noticed they don’t bother me but it shouldn’t be like this for an expensive guitar. I know it’s not a custom shop but it’s the top of the mass production model and not cheap over 3k AUD

So there is a neck pocket gap with mine I know few people complain about this online so I'll include it here. Any idea why the neck pocket is bad? I also found that all of the ones I tried that are AO 60’s had it in the shop, tried like 3 or 4?
View attachment 583310 View attachment 583312
The second thing, which I think shouldn’t be there is the tool mark on the pickguard. The guys at the shop explain it would’ve happened during final adjustment at the factory because they dug a little bit of the truss rod as well.

So I guess they forced the screwdriver there to make adjustments? So weird why they didn’t just pop the neck and adjust it.
View attachment 583313

I got a replacement as part of the warranty claim, I would’ve kept this guitar regardless (it’s the best sounding and resonant AO I’ve ever tried!!) but if they are willing to take my claim then I take it!

The guys at the store offer to swap it out for me but they were super nice and just had an overall great experience buying the guitar, I told them to don’t worry about and I’ll keep it as a spare. I mean these ‘plastic’ cover cost $70 here, crazy.

View attachment 583314
I explain to them I don’t need them to do extra work for me, just thought I needed to be compensated by Fender, for not being careful at their factory.
For a guitar like this, I don’t think it should come like that… worst of all, one of the AO I tried had a really loose switch, which is weird….

Anyway, that’s my rant. The shop is called Billy Hyde if you ever visit Melbourne check them out, they are awesome!

Not sure if you guys will find this post but Steve and Dave from Billy Hyde you guys are legends!!
Yes mate. Modern Fenders are very iffy these days. Just ‘cos it has American on the headstock, they think that they can get away with shoddy workmanship! I think we are all beginning at last to suss them out. Those gaps in the neck pocket are so bad. Plus, how do you know that the shop did not do the scratch plate in? Get a Japanese one next time. Or even a Tokai.

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
I bought a AUD$3,700 SRV Sig Strat

I wasnt on here 3 days later whining about a swirl on the pickguard....

Theres a lesson there for everyone who posts these boring whines....

You get what you pay for...universal truth and why most of these whiny posts should be reasons for a ban on most guitar forums

Adjust your expectation according to price....

That SRV Sig was my final guitar after 35+ years where not once buying even the cheapest Squier did i feel the need to spew forth my bile about marks and imperfections, despite sometimes having buyers remorse myself (most of us old heads have experienced, we just dont feel the fricking need to share it with everyone else to make ourselves feel better!), instead i did something VERY fricking strange, i just played, made music and enjoyed what i was playing

If you havent read the room, most people here are tired of this constant whine about minor imperfections, and the consensus here, and will always be:

Just fricking play.....

Maddening entitled 1st world guitar whiners.....you need to stop. Or save the community the bother, return it and i dunno take up keyboard or theremin or flute or something else thats less open to randomness and human variability in its process....

In case you didnt get it, im super tired, as are a lot of us, of this continuing entitled nonsense that the Internet and consumerism age has sadly brought upon us...add millennials and gen-zers and its steaming pile of entitlement horse manure

The whiners here strike me as the types that pre Internet would have found any way possible, including long runs of string between cans to announce their disappointment over something to others...why we havent found a way to remove these people for the gene pool yet is a constant source of personal frustration

Make it stop....buy your gear and in you dont like it (like is the operative word, because ive rarely seen a guitar that wasnt playable), return your gear and leave us in peace. Why people feel the need to insert "log in and have a whine on a guitar forum" into the middle of that process is literally beyond me. Usually theyre trying to get someone to agree with them that something is "terrible" so they feel justified in putting on their community behind me armour and taking it back when theyre remorseful, even though its not really about that issue 80% of the time, usually they bought something online and never saw it in the flesh or made a bad choice for them without ever testing it out beforehand. Were me i'd ban online guitar sales, these forums would be the better for it...people have gotten into the habit of impulse buying online, feel entitled to return anything for any reason

The words "its really playable, but" should be terms for immediate banning in any guitar forum.....
Why u so mad bro, this shouldn't concern you this much.

My guitar and fender's warranty. fender Australia honoured the warranty claim but that made you really upset? I'm just sharing my experience buying a new guitar and people resonate with me on the forum with similar issues and concerns. So, if you don't like it then look away, no one forced OR asked you to read the thread. If this pains you this much, and I can tell you're getting really emotional, possibly holding back tears, you're doing it to yourself by reading this thread and preaching that everyone should lower their standards. I mean, I get it, it's each to their own. So, I don't care what you think but don't go around telling people to lower their standard because it makes you feel better about your experiences 😂, not your place to tell people that.

Btw you spent paid $3,700 for SRV sig? you got ripped off brother they go to $3,000 AUD retail so.....
Also not gonna lower my standard only because someone is coping with a bad situation by "adjusting" your standard not knowing things can actually be better than that...

I do feel bad for you tho, you really overpaid for your guitar Yikes....

Just a quick edit..... why don't you go play instead of making yourself really emotional? Hm?

Last edited:

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Yes mate. Modern Fenders are very iffy these days. Just ‘cos it has American on the headstock, they think that they can get away with shoddy workmanship! I think we are all beginning at last to suss them out. Those gaps in the neck pocket are so bad. Plus, how do you know that the shop did not do the scratch plate in? Get a Japanese one next time. Or even a Tokai.
The scratch was underneath the plastic cover, so, I imagine the plastic film would've been damaged if they did it at the shop. But it's all good they processed the warranty for me.

I had MIJ hybrid 50's before this and that guitar, in terms of build quality was PERFECT, unbelievable. I still love this guitar, sounds soooo good and it feels really good to play this guitar, that why I bought it. Just a small scratch that's all.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta

My guitar and fender's warranty. fender Australia honoured the warranty claim but that made you really upset? I'm just sharing my experience buying a new guitar and people resonate with me on the forum with similar issues and concerns. So, if you don't like it then look away, no one forced OR asked you to read the thread. If this pains you this much, and I can tell you're getting really emotional, possibly holding back tears, you're doing it to yourself by reading this thread and preaching that everyone should lower their standards. I mean, I get it, it's each to their own. So, I don't care what you think but don't go around telling people to lower their standard because it makes you feel better about your experiences 😂, not your place to tell people that.

Btw you spent paid $3,700 for SRV sig? you got ripped off brother they go to $3,000 AUD retail so.....
Also not gonna lower my standard only because someone is coping with a bad situation by "adjusting" your standard not knowing things can actually be better than that...

It’s okay for you to rally the troops and tell everyone to stand up and fight the man. If there’s the slightest issue go after warranty. Like you care about the warranty more then the guitar. Really weird.

Please anyone go after warranty you get a discount. This is the new normal, reverb is horrible to sell on because of these new bread of whiners. “You said there was only 3 blemishes, I counted 4, I want a discount”.

Did you buy it to play or suit up and fly to the moon? You know it’s a tool to make music right, not a precision built rocket.

You know who is agreeing with you, the rookies new to the world that look at guitars more than play. Make fun of me or anyone else that sees this as ridiculous, I have no problem with that. I’m a silly old goose, sure okay.

felis

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 27, 2013
Antwerp/Belgium
Yes, Tokai (at least my 'Pre Grace' models) don't do neck pocket gaps nor cracks.

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
It’s okay for you to rally the troops and tell everyone to stand up and fight the man. If there’s the slightest issue go after warranty. Like you care about the warranty more then the guitar. Really weird.

Please anyone go after warranty you get a discount. This is the new normal, reverb is horrible to sell on because of these new bread of whiners. “You said there was only 3 blemishes, I counted 4, I want a discount”.

Did you buy it to play or suit up and fly to the moon? You know it’s a tool to make music right, not a precision built rocket.

You know who is agreeing with you, the rookies new to the world that look at guitars more than play. Make fun of me or anyone else that sees this as ridiculous, I have no problem with that. I’m a silly old goose, sure okay.
The topic of the thread is about the warranty that's why I'm talking about the warranty you silly young goose o_O

Btw do you sell guitars on reverb (I've never used it before) and get people complaining about the quality of the guitar, negotiating price with you and you're sick and tired of it?? I hear you, you silly young goose ;)

And yes, claim your warranty, it's there for you to use it. The company you bought it from will decide whether to honour it or not, so rest a sure, not everything gets honoured it has to be the manufacturer's fault and within warranty period. Warranty only exist to protect consumers not out to get manufacturers have manufacturers also have the right to refuse the claim as much as consumers have the right to put in a claim. Normally for guitars, it's 1 year and most electronics have a 2-year warranty. When you want to claim a warranty you can just go to your retailer, this was there as far as I can remember since I was a kid, shouldn't be a shock to most people.

Last edited:

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
The topic of the thread is about the warranty that's why I'm talking about the warranty you silly young goose o_O

Btw do you sell guitars on reverb (I've never used it before) and get people complaining about the quality of the guitar, negotiating price with you and you're sick and tired of it?? I hear you, you silly young goose ;)

It says fender Strat QC in the thread title and you showed a few little issues. I didn’t know it was focused on a warranty claim.

Yes I get you’re upset, I would be too if I paid 3 times the price anyone else in the world would pay. I hope you learn to play it and it’s a keeper.

Also you should try reverb, it’s now in favour of little whiners that cry due to buyers remorse. They spent their allowance and now make up excuses to get a partial or full refund at the sellers expense. Targeted right at inexperienced buyers with magnifying glasses.

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Also you should try reverb, it’s now in favour of little whiners that cry due to buyers remorse. They spent their allowance and now make up excuses to get a partial or full refund at the sellers expense. Targeted right at inexperienced buyers with magnifying glasses.
Ye making things up is bad, I feel your pain ☹️. I don't use reverb because I like trying out the guitar in person before buying. The sad thing is as much as you think I'm making things up, the fact is that the brand new guitar I bought was damaged by the factory / distributor or whatever and sold as a new guitar. It's courtesy of Fender to admit there's a fault there and fix the problem for me as they would have if they found the problem at their factory.

As you know, the internet and communication gave consumers a huge amount of information about market competition, price, and product detail. So, it's a natural thing that we expect more because there are people who paid the same amount of money and got more value from the same vender or whatever, hence, the quality of service and product are becoming more standardised and improves. It's just the nature of things man, like how trees grow, can't stay in one place otherwise you fall behind ya'know, hence why Fender improved their QC a lot since they open I'm sure of it. They just had a slip up with mine, not a big deal, simple warranty claim then I'm happy and their happy that I'm happy.

Best of luck with your reverb sales

stylemessiah

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2017
Sydney, Australia

Just a quick edit..... why don't you go play instead of making yourself really emotional? Hm?

Claiming someone who calls you out is "emotional" is a classic troll move, just so you know we know....

So is also claiming they "got ripped" and other put downs you have trotted out.....

You'd whinge about the wind changing direction in a way you didnt agree with one feels...

Also dont call me "Bro"...use grown up words you immature little troll

Mstrat82

New Member!
Apr 20, 2019
Illinois
Just got an AO 50s made in april 2022. Bought it on Stratosphere as a loaded body and neck and bolted it together. My neck is tight in the pocket but drifts to a gap at the end of the body. Doenst matter to me cause guitar plays and sounds great. My AM Pro II and American performer strats have no gaps. Everything that gets manufactured has tolerances. 20220812_172538.jpg

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Just got an AO 50s made in april 2022. Bought it on Stratosphere as a loaded body and neck and bolted it together. My neck is tight in the pocket but drifts to a gap at the end of the body. Doenst matter to me cause guitar plays and sounds great. My AM Pro II and American performer strats have no gaps. Everything that manufactured has tolerances. View attachment 583986

Cool, so you basically bought parts from stratosphere to make up a AO’s 50’s strat? Was this the of the ones being sold with the COA and matching neck plate with serial number?

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Hi all,

I’ve recently bought this beautiful American Original 60’s Strat. I must say I’m both impressed and confused at the same time.

View attachment 583309

Firstly it’s an amazing sounding and playing instrument but there are two things I’ve noticed they don’t bother me but it shouldn’t be like this for an expensive guitar. I know it’s not a custom shop but it’s the top of the mass production model and not cheap over 3k AUD

So there is a neck pocket gap with mine I know few people complain about this online so I'll include it here. Any idea why the neck pocket is bad? I also found that all of the ones I tried that are AO 60’s had it in the shop, tried like 3 or 4?
View attachment 583310 View attachment 583312
The second thing, which I think shouldn’t be there is the tool mark on the pickguard. The guys at the shop explain it would’ve happened during final adjustment at the factory because they dug a little bit of the truss rod as well.

So I guess they forced the screwdriver there to make adjustments? So weird why they didn’t just pop the neck and adjust it.
View attachment 583313

I got a replacement as part of the warranty claim, I would’ve kept this guitar regardless (it’s the best sounding and resonant AO I’ve ever tried!!) but if they are willing to take my claim then I take it!

The guys at the store offer to swap it out for me but they were super nice and just had an overall great experience buying the guitar, I told them to don’t worry about and I’ll keep it as a spare. I mean these ‘plastic’ cover cost $70 here, crazy.

View attachment 583314
I explain to them I don’t need them to do extra work for me, just thought I needed to be compensated by Fender, for not being careful at their factory.
For a guitar like this, I don’t think it should come like that… worst of all, one of the AO I tried had a really loose switch, which is weird….

Anyway, that’s my rant. The shop is called Billy Hyde if you ever visit Melbourne check them out, they are awesome!

Not sure if you guys will find this post but Steve and Dave from Billy Hyde you guys are legends!!
I found the same tooling mark in that same spot on the pickguard of my AO 60s. I think my neck pocket looks similar to yours, but I considered it a tight fit. What do you think? I also just noticed while taking the photo, that there is the tiniest little chip. I don’t mind, as it is a 60s model, and I’m expecting it to get worn in with some marks like that over time anyway.

The other thing on mine is that the little edge of the body extends just slightly past the neck. making a little ridge there that can get knicked. Even though it’s bound to happen, I’d like to keep it has clean and un-knicked as possible.
549AE8A4-E49B-4369-B690-5F1B96D47498.png B454C60A-BA1A-4A61-BD83-DD6A4C4F3961.png 7AA057D0-07AD-45F1-9801-5A9BE60775F0.png

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Heck go look at a real vintage 60’s Strat, yours will be a million times better.
Ya, I saw a review, where the guy said back in the day you could slide a piece of paper in the gap but not on the new AO 60s.

The chip on the pickguard is not a Fender QC issue... that's on the tech at the store where you got it doing the setup.
You might be right; mine had the same mark, and it had been set up by the folks at the store.

it happened before the film was put on.
It might be possible, that the tool used pushed into the film and gouged the pickguard without tearing the film itself. It seems less likely that it would get gouged before even being placed on the guitar.

I know guitars aren't cheap but their job is to make sound. If it makes sound then the mission has been accomplished.
It does seem right to expect more time and care to get it as close to perfect as possible the higher the price. To me, That’s the whole idea behind charging more, including the custom shop.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Ya, I saw a review, where the guy said back in the day you could slide a piece of paper in the gap but not on the new AO 60s.

You might be right; mine had the same mark, and it had been set up by the folks at the store.

It might be possible, that the tool used pushed into the film and gouged the pickguard without tearing the film itself. It seems less likely that it would get gouged before even being placed on the guitar.

It does seem right to expect more time and care to get it as close to perfect as possible the higher the price. To me, That’s the whole idea behind charging more, including the custom shop.
They only charge more because people pay more. The cost and process to make these isn't much different than any other MIA Fender.

Time and care should always be taken but mass production of any kind is all about repeating a process within certain criteria and being "the best it can be" is rarely in the list of goals. Necks have one set of tolerances, bodies have another set. If you have one neck meeting the minimum allowable width and a body pocket meeting the maximum, you get a slightly larger opening but it is still within set limits. They won't set a neck aside and wait for a body with a minimum pocket width, they just put the next neck on the next body. Anything involving any amount of hand work will have these "imperfections".

However if they wanted to make a true/authentic reissue then they should have less quality control and more imperfections.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta

What no one seems to understand or get the reference to a actual 60’s Strats and these reissues. These new ones are 1 million times better, fit and finish, hands down.

So all the complaining over the years fender did listen and these are probably as close as they can get being a bolt on neck. Yet people still complain. Oh the price is extremely high. These cost LESS then what a actual 62 strat would cost today with inflation which is about $2600US!!!

I get it, a new guitar should be dead mint. Yes a mark or a nick can be annoying. Keep complaining to fender or any Internet forum possible. I seriously doubt they can get any better.

I’ve had custom shop stuff with a neck cap, crooked control plates, wrong screws, miss alignment on the tuners. These guitars and even production pumped out mass produced guitars still have lots of hands on finishing. Wasn’t that one of the cool things about fender?