Fender Strat QC ? American Original series

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
They only charge more because people pay more. The cost and process to make these isn't much different than any other MIA Fender.

Time and care should always be taken but mass production of any kind is all about repeating a process within certain criteria and being "the best it can be" is rarely in the list of goals. Necks have one set of tolerances, bodies have another set. If you have one neck meeting the minimum allowable width and a body pocket meeting the maximum, you get a slightly larger opening but it is still within set limits. They won't set a neck aside and wait for a body with a minimum pocket width, they just put the next neck on the next body. Anything involving any amount of hand work will have these "imperfections".

However if they wanted to make a true/authentic reissue then they should have less quality control and more imperfections.
True that.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
What no one seems to understand or get the reference to a actual 60’s Strats and these reissues. These new ones are 1 million times better, fit and finish, hands down.

So all the complaining over the years fender did listen and these are probably as close as they can get being a bolt on neck. Yet people still complain. Oh the price is extremely high. These cost LESS then what a actual 62 strat would cost today with inflation which is about $2600US!!!

I get it, a new guitar should be dead mint. Yes a mark or a nick can be annoying. Keep complaining to fender or any Internet forum possible. I seriously doubt they can get any better.

I’ve had custom shop stuff with a neck cap, crooked control plates, wrong screws, miss alignment on the tuners. These guitars and even production pumped out mass produced guitars still have lots of hands on finishing. Wasn’t that one of the cool things about fender?
One of the worst guitars I ever had (fit and finish wise) was a 2001 ES 137 Custom.
image.jpeg
Now, it was an amazing guitar but at one point I wanted to see how hard it would be to put Gold pickups/Hardware (because I'm one of those guys) on it. I don't know why mine had chrome but I wanted Gold.

When I took off the pickguard I discovered multiple drilled/filled holes from them trying to install the pickups in the correct place. It was all hidden by the pickguard but I really wondered what was going on at Gibson. It did pretty much prove this was a handmade guitar because a CNC would've nailed it on the first run.

Last edited:

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
One of the worst guitars I ever had (fit and finish wise) was a 2001 ES 137 Custom.

Stock pic
View attachment 583994
Now, it was an amazing guitar but at one point I wanted to see how hard it would be to put Gold pickups/Hardware (because I'm one of those guys) on it. I don't know why mine had chrome but I wanted Gold.

When I took off the pickguard I discovered multiple drilled/filled holes from them trying to install the pickups in the correct place. It was all hidden by the pickguard but I really wondered what was going on at Gibson. It did pretty much prove this was a handmade guitar because a CNC would've nailed it on the first run.

Yeah it’s sad in a way what would pass QC as “ok”. Still looking back at actual vintage the QC has come a long way. The amount of complaining these days I really don’t know what can get better? Yes a scratch in the pickguard, yeah shouldn’t be there.

That es 175 does look pretty sweet though. I’d love to have that!!

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Yeah it’s sad in a way what would pass QC as “ok”. Still looking back at actual vintage the QC has come a long way. The amount of complaining these days I really don’t know what can get better? Yes a scratch in the pickguard, yeah shouldn’t be there.

That es 175 does look pretty sweet though. I’d love to have that!!
It was pretty awesome. Sold it post recession to keep the house going.

uncle daddy

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2020
UK
I found the same tooling mark in that same spot on the pickguard of my AO 60s. I think my neck pocket looks similar to yours, but I considered it a tight fit. What do you think? I also just noticed while taking the photo, that there is the tiniest little chip. I don’t mind, as it is a 60s model, and I’m expecting it to get worn in with some marks like that over time anyway.

The other thing on mine is that the little edge of the body extends just slightly past the neck. making a little ridge there that can get knicked. Even though it’s bound to happen, I’d like to keep it has clean and un-knicked as possible.
View attachment 583987 View attachment 583988 View attachment 583989

Wow, I've made partscasters with bits from unrelated manufacturers that are tidier than that. Not that it'll make a jot of difference to the sound, mind.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not nice feeling tho... how did you deal with it? Just kept it?

I didn’t do anything. The only way to not worry about these “imperfections” is use it to make music. Once you get your hands on many guitars over the years you’ll realize there’s no such thing as perfection at any price.

walter01

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
The scratch was underneath the plastic cover, so, I imagine the plastic film would've been damaged if they did it at the shop. But it's all good they processed the warranty for me.

I had MIJ hybrid 50's before this and that guitar, in terms of build quality was PERFECT, unbelievable. I still love this guitar, sounds soooo good and it feels really good to play this guitar, that why I bought it. Just a small scratch that's all.
Great! Just stick with that one. Be happy! Don’t lose sleep over the MIA one. Par for the course.