Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Stratocaster Ultra - Who Has One?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by misterwogan, Sep 14, 2019.

1. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

So who has one of these?
    Is it a must have?
    Pros and Cons?

atytgxp1h9sk5dylczld.jpg

circles likes this.
  2. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I have an EC with LS pickups. Bit different but it does the trick.
    Would I buy a Plus - yes all depending on whether I won the lottery nowadays.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

Funny, I was thinking the same ^^^ when I saw the title of this thread. Though my EC is a 2005 with Vintage Noiseless. The only Strat I care about playing is one with active pickups and on-board boost, be it EMG SAs with an SPC pot or the Clapton setup with 25 db mid boost. I can do anything I want to do with either one of those, without the need for a pedal to get more gain. Noiseless, even with longer cable runs, is icing on the cake. But I don't have an Ultra, so why did I even reply? :confused:

4. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

I bought a new Plus Deluxe in '91 -- I still have it. I had the option of buying an Ultra instead, but I thought a Plus Deluxe deviated enough form the Strats I saw my favorite players use -- an Ultra was a step too far.

If an Ultra passed my way these days at a reasonable price, I'd jump on it. It's a pinnacle of the model line from an age gone-by.

SurfsUp likes this.
  5. misterwogan

The Ultra, I believe - sits above the Plus, ebony fretboard etc...

6. misterwogan

£1,700 is what is being asked for the one pictured.

7. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

It did; the Ultra was the "top of the line" of the "Plus"/Lace Sensor series. That one doesn't look that great in that photo - not much figuring on the maple veneers compared to most. But it could just be the photo angle; I also kind of recall the few redburst ones I saw in person kind of obscured the figuring more than the blueburst and tobacco burst (or they might have called it "brown sunburst" or "antique sunburst") finishes did. I thought the Ultras came with the chainsaw case with a metal plate that said "Strat Ultra" (same logo as the neck plate) instead of the black tolex case.

I never owned one - I was close to getting one in 1992 but wound up with a PRS CE maple top instead. Got the CE just before PRS had a price increase so it was the same price as the Ultra.

Tim S likes this.
  8. ido1957

Oops - sorry about the Plus error. But the same positive reaction applies to the Ultra.
    I saw the eBay listing and the condition is very good.
    Price is about the same as a new Elite here in Canada after tax.
    So yes it is top of the line for its time and in good shape so if you have the bucks it looks like a good choice.

9. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

For me, that's a little too rich -- but I don't think it's an outrageous ask. I'd offer a few hundred less (but only if I had the cash on-hand). Perhaps they would counter your counter-offer?

10. misterwogan

It is the ebony board that is the attraction. Last month I had to return two Elites because of poor QC. But maybe I'll wait for a 1993 Ultra - in that year they upgraded the nut to LSR amongst other things.

11. ido1957

I just picked up a used Elite a few months back - maple board though. $1600 + about 75 for a complete setup. The compound radius is pretty sweet and much different than my EC. So are the pickups so of course I need to adjust everything when I decide to play one or the other. I have ebony on an LP which is very nice - I can see the appeal. Not a fan of the streaky **** though and not sure why they even produce those.

Tim S likes this.
  12. misterwogan

On some of them it looks absolutely wretched. According to Fender, they are now using ebony timber that used to be discarded as waste - to help the planet of course.

13. John C

If I'm remembering things correctly Fender changed to the LSR nut early in 1993, then went to the locking tremolo (Fender-Floyd Rose labeled back then; later just know as the "Deluxe Locking Tremolo") toward the end of '93.

Also for whatever reason American Elites are now on sale - all colors it appears, and a lot of the colors that used to be there are gone. So I don't know if the American Elites are up for total replacement at the end of the year, or if they're going to churn the colors and possibly go back to rosewood after the recent CITES ruling about musical instruments.

14. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

The minus on the Ultras is the weight. Some are 9 lbs plus. Also there a lot of them on the market right now. Asking price is usually around 1300+ and they aren't moving.

vid1900 likes this.
  15. Kester

Kester Strat-O-Master

Bear in mind that that seller is an eBay trader who buys guitars on eBay, sticks hundreds of pounds on the price and then re-sells. If you're prepared to pay someone several hundred pounds to take a few photos then pull the trigger. But personally it would stick in my craw. Below is another that sold recently, there have been a couple go around the £1300/1400 mark.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-s...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Hey guys, I’m looking at two guitars, a 1990 Ultra and a 1991 Plus Deluxe with the hotter blue/silver/red lace sensor pickups. If I were to get the Ultra it’ll be the only HSS Strat in the stable. They’re both mint and they’re both priced close to one another. Any opinions on the differences between the two? I don’t “need” another Strat but the Plus and the Ultra have been on a bucket list for a while.

Cerb likes this.
  17. John C

They are very similar; the Ultra has a 3-way mini toggle switch controls the bridge pickup - the Dually Red Lace is essentially 2 red logo Laces right next to each other in a humbucker hole in the pickguard, so with the 3-way you can get the front Lace, both Laces, or the rear Lace. Because of the positioning though either "single coil of the Dual Lace" setting is going to sound less like a traditional Strat then the Plus Deluxe with the single angled Lace sensor. Although of course any way you slice it a red logo Lace Sensor is a very, very hot pickup.

I would probably take the Ultra over the Plus Deluxe for roughly the same price - I like the ebony fingerboard that the Ultra has, and the Dually Red Lace gives you a lot of flexibility tone-wise with that 3-way switching for the Dual Lace (vs. a normal humbucker). They are both going to have alder bodies with veneers over them - maple for the Ultra, ash for the Plus Deluxe - unless the Plus Deluxe you're looking at is clear/natural finish (those are solid ash).

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  18. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

What are they asking for the Plus Deluxe?

19. misterwogan

20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

They want $1,200 Canadian dollars for the Plus Deluxe in charcoal burst and $1,450 Canadian dollars for the Ultra.

Cerb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.