Fender Tone Master Princeton Reverb

catsandstrats

Strat-Talker
Aug 2, 2020
US
I’m intrigued by this one - will be curious to hear your thoughts. On one hand, something already as portable as the Princeton doesn’t seem like it would fully benefit from the TM capabilities. On the other hand, bringing solid state reliability and the direct out to the Princeton sound is quite appealing.

Mike Manhost67

Strat-Talker
Jun 9, 2020
I’m intrigued by this one - will be curious to hear your thoughts. On one hand, something already as portable as the Princeton doesn’t seem like it would fully benefit from the TM capabilities. On the other hand, bringing solid state reliability and the direct out to the Princeton sound is quite appealing.

I have the Deluxe, and Super, and borrowing a Twin TM from a friend.

I love these

This is the first one they are doing with tube bias tremolo, so interested there.

And the fact you can attenuate down to .3 watts means you can overdriven sounds at bedroom volume.

lustror

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 16, 2012
France
Curious about the TM Princeton, cause at home i'm playing the Princeton 68' RRi
I've played a Deluxe TM , good amp, sounding almost like a tube amp, except for the reverb and when you add drive pedals, IMO

arct

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 12, 2021
South Jersey
Curious about the TM Princeton, cause at home i'm playing the Princeton 68' RRi
I've played a Deluxe TM , good amp, sounding almost like a tube amp, except for the reverb and when you add drive pedals, IMO

Same here, two TM Deluxes, and a Princeton '68 RI. I prefer the Princeton, taking it out tonight actually, but the TMs are really good and light.

rct

RaySachs

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Jun 25, 2017
Philly area
This is the TM amp I've been waiting for. As a home player, I don't need volume, love the power attenuation, and as someone who records a lot, I love the XLR cab simulated out. I've thought about the TMDR, but it's really bigger than I have space for - it would fit but it would overwhelm the space. I'm playing a Blues Cube Hot now and really like it - similar features with power attenuation, cab simulated headphone jack for direct recording, and SMALL. The Princeton will be just a little bigger and I always used to love the sound of a Princeton - my best bud in High School, who I learned to play along side, had one. I think it was an actual 68 - this was in the mid-70s.

I love the Blues Cube - mine is voiced like an old Marshall. Not sure if the Princeton TM will replace it or co-exist with it. I do like that full Marshall sound. I tend to like the scooped Fender sound more when other people are playing than when I am, but I'd like to put some time in with this amp and see what I can make of it...

-Ray

Snaked Strat

Strat-Talker
Mar 17, 2022
Australia
Don't know why anyone would be intrigued by this new Fender offering.

It's very predictable imo and will sound and look just like a tube Princeton re-issue.
It'll be a 1 trick pony with good cleans & reverb.

It'll max out at light overdrive but it won't be usable.
At 12 watts it won't be powered adequately to gig with but will be good if all you want is a decent pedal platform for home use.

You'll be able to improve its tone by swapping in a better speaker.
And it'll be priced at about double of what it's worth and will sell millions 😇

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC

It's very predictable imo and will sound and look just like a tube Princeton re-issue.

At 12 watts it won't be powered adequately to gig with but will be good if all you want is a decent pedal platform for home use.

Jim Campilongo and Mike Campbell gig with a Princeton with no problems.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal

Seems spot on to me

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
Yes - long ago Mike sometimes used two 1980s tube 22w Princetons cabled to a big pedal board mic'ed to a massive PA :)
Every video I’ve seen mike says he plays two non Reverb Princeton amps. Of course he mics them and of course the PA is huge, they’re big venues. Jim plays a single Princeton into a small PA in NY clubs all the time no problem.

StratMotDaD

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 1, 2022
Germany
The 68 Vibro Champ seems to be sold out (at least new) in Germany. I didn't see one for Sale since April or so...
Yes, but MusicStore says new ones will arrive in october - so just two weeks to wait. But I'm not sure if 5 Watt is too loud for my bedroom without any master volume. I have a 1 Watt Tube-Amp at the moment (but with a 12" speaker) and at 1.5 of 10 at the volume knob its already too loud on the clean channel...

But I may wait till december and listen to both of the amps - also with a big chance of buying both, if both sound great and I can't decide 😅

Update: Ok, today they told me Vibro Champ will not arrive before Sept 2023 - buying gear in 2022 is like ****.

Last edited: