Fender Tone Master Princeton Reverb

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Honestly guys I was here and it just makes more sense to get a Princeton like a Reissue......

Or if you want digital check out a Katana Artist Mkll.

They are on Sale for 500$ can do a whole lot more and sound nicer even than ToneMasters IMo. The Artist stuff is really a step above and fantastic.

Check em out.

I just got one over the weekend and its so damn good my Princeton Bordeaux and my AC15C1 along with the 12 pedal pedalboard are probably not going to get as much play......

If you havent checked one out and are looking at a ToneMaster do yourself a favor, save a lot of money and check out the Katana Artist.....

Its just a much nicer amp in general.

spud3

New Member!
May 4, 2022
Portland, OR
Mine just came in from Sweetwater today and I had a chance to A/B it with my 65 PRRI.

First impressions:
Good amp, but plugging in straight, the PRRI has just enough extra warmth and presence.
The more pedals I add (comp, delay, phase, big muff) the less difference I could hear
My stratocaster liked it, but the telecaster was not impressed
It is significantly lighter (not trivial at my advancing age)

Going to give it the weekend to decide. Leaning towards keeping the PRRI.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Yeah if anyone had to choose between the two and just have one...

Reissue or ToneMaster......

I mean it just does not make a lick of sense to get a ToneMaster, even if you already have a Reissue. Kind of would make more sense to get another Reissue if you like it a lot and you already have one to rotate and not ware out your other one as much IMO but thats me.

These amps just make no sense....

If you really wanted the Attenuator function get an aftermarket attenuator or a AIAB to make a faux master volume control.

spud3

New Member!
May 4, 2022
Portland, OR
Well, my reasons for trying one are based mainly in the weight. 20 vs 34 lbs. is significant, and my PRRI is about to the age where it's going to need a thorough going-over. Probably will need to sink a couple hundred into replacing a couple pots, a tube or two and generally getting tuned up for the next 15 years. Sweetwater had a good deal with free shipping, so worst case, I'm only out the shipping charge back.

The potential upside was huge. If it performed well enough, I could sell my PRRI for around what I paid for the TM, and end up with a lightweight amp that covers my needs quite well. Having said that, PRRI's are honestly not back-breakers like a DRRI or a Twin, but every pound counts.

So I disagree that it makes no sense to take a serious look at the TM amps. At $400 less MSRP, I can see someone who can't quite afford a PRRI considering one of these. Personally, I think the price point is still high; as has been mentioned, there are several alternatives that may sound better to any one set of ears. Given that the Mustang and Rumble amps are significantly less, and still sound pretty fair, I would think that these should be in the $500-600 range.

Like I said, comparing them A/B simply tells me that it's not an exact duplication of a PRRI. The question for me is: is it good enough sound to save 14 lbs? I'll be working through that over the next few days.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
SweetWater also has the Princeton 112 Tweed for like 1099$.

And they have a 10%, well Veterans day is around the corner too and you may get an even fatter discount then.

Especially if you have a Princeton and even more so if you don't it makes IMO very little sense to get a ToneMaster even with a 400$ difference, your already dropping close to 1000 on the amp and with a discount.

It just makes more sense to get a Katana Artist, save money get more and do more or get another Princeton Reissue even if you already have one and you really like it to again ware em out less, save miles and rotate them and you can play stereo too if you wanted too.

Veterans Day around the corner and the discounts sure to come with it I mean its kind of decision for many considering a ToneMaster especially with SweetWater and the 1099$ Tweed 112 or even GCs 1400$ Bordeux......or a Katana Artist Mk ll at 500$.....

Given the fact that well even in the video even the Andertons guys trying it showed that it can sound like a cardboard box on a clean setting and pushed with a fuzz. Imagine having it cranked already and then throwing pedals at it.........

A Princeton Reissue just makes more sense for anyone especially if they dont already have one...... or even another Reissue makes more sense even if you do have one already...

Or Katana Artist amps make way more sense and they sound as good or better and can do a whole lot more and handle nicer IMO trying both out.

Last edited:

stratosurf

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2018
Surf City, NY
You could get a Peavey Bandit and a Joyo American Sound for like under $150 total and it would sound better and be more versatile than these tonemaster things. I guess it's just a case of the "shiny new thing" that everyone has to have, lmao. Please just sell me your PRRIs at a discount since the TM supposedly sounds so similar šŸ¤£

Caffiend

Strat-Talker
Mar 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Yes - long ago Mike sometimes used two 1980s tube 22w Princetons cabled to a big pedal board mic'ed to a massive PA :)
I used to know a dude with a hottod Superchamp. Beautiful chiming overdrive for days when given a suitable guitar and heavier than a neutron star. It was his only amp for years and gigged all over Europe. When the room was too big he mic'd it. This isn't a revolutionary concept; small amp run through FOH is perfectly normal. Hell, if you look at the big rock bands, a couple of full stacks run through the PA is equally normal at a particular scale.

You don't like Tonemasters or small combos and got out of bed the wrong side. That's cool.

Snaked Strat

Strat-Talker
Mar 17, 2022
Australia
I used to know a dude with a hottod Superchamp. Beautiful chiming overdrive for days when given a suitable guitar and heavier than a neutron star. It was his only amp for years and gigged all over Europe. When the room was too big he mic'd it. This isn't a revolutionary concept; small amp run through FOH is perfectly normal. Hell, if you look at the big rock bands, a couple of full stacks run through the PA is equally normal at a particular scale.

You don't like Tonemasters or small combos and got out of bed the wrong side. That's cool.

yeah I'm fully aware of that and have done same thing myself many times.
I've nothing against Fender Tonemasters and I like smalll tube combos too.

All I said is that a 12w SS amp doesn't have nearly enough clean headroom for me to gig with - mic'ed or not šŸ˜‡

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
yeah I'm fully aware of that and have done same thing myself many times.
I've nothing against Fender Tonemasters and I like smalll tube combos too.

All I said is that a 12w SS amp doesn't have nearly enough clean headroom for me to gig with - mic'ed or not šŸ˜‡
This new little baby on the block has 50w, not 12 like its old granny original.

Unless you mean the Super Champ?

CigBurn

Total Hack
Jun 22, 2014
Same Shed Different Day
Fender TM Princeton is 12w max with a 10" speaker just like the original.
But this is solid state 12w - not tube 12w.

With the TM's they purposely used higher wattage to be able to compete with the tube versions output.

From your link in the specs:
  • Wattage - 50W into 8Ī© (Simulates 12W Tube Amp Performance)

stilwel

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 7, 2016
Phoenix