Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb vs Fender Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mike B, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Mike B

Mike B Strat-Talk Member

Can you tell the difference between these amps!?... Of course you can!! haha

But it's cool to compare, and also marvel at that Strat!! :)

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

Nice work, thanks for posting Mike. Peace

Mike B and johnnymg like this.
  3. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

Very nice! Enjoyed that, thank you!

Mike B likes this.
  4. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

The results surprised me because I thought A had a punchier/livlier tone ................ which I assumed would be the SS version. I was wrong. :eek: That Twin Reverb Reissue was a total beast! :D

The ToneMaster was good but a clear underdog to the real deal.

Stratoskater, EC Strat-boy and Mike B like this.
  5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Fooled me.. but that's not hard.. :rolleyes:

Mike B likes this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have to say yeah..

The reverb on the Tone Master was the dead give away.

It was kind of wishy washy and everywhere.

Also the Twin had more bass and more glass to it in general in clean.

Stratoskater and Mike B like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

I've had the Tone Master for a couple of weeks, and gigged with it last weekend. Right, it's not quite a tube Twin. But at 33 pounds, I can live with it. And actually, I kinda like the reverb. Likely the best digital reverb I've heard so far.

JB74 and Mike B like this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

I always point out, that you can't accurately compare recorded devices with recordings, because the recording processes flattens and equalizes things to sound similar - its the inherent processing of the recording gear, mics, conversion etc. But this time, I was surprised how much I could hear the tube over the SS. I'm guarded now, as I could tell the dynamic rise time was superior on one over the other. I also felt the same amp provided a wider range of attack volume before breaking up. I instantly felt that amp was the tube amp, but was prepared for a reverse surprise...but not, the ostensibly more dynamic, more expressive amp was indeed the tube amp.

In my opinion, the attempt to build a lighter Twin is flawed. One of the key components to a Twin's character are the transformers. Speakers are next. I'd say the transformers and D120's in my Twin account for 57 of its 81 lb. And the Tone Master weighs 33 lb total? I'm sure its a fine amp and will do the job, but it was never going to emulate a Twin without the transformers and magnets that make a Twin a Twin.

But the attempt to build a good sounding light weight amp that has a classic voice is a good idea. I just wished they hadn't set themselves up for apology by marketing these as exact replacements, sans 40 lb.

Mike B likes this.
  9. Mike B

Mike B Strat-Talk Member

haha.. a few people were as well so you're not alone my friend.

It's a really good amp, super light and affordable. But when you play next to a Twin Reverb, it's very hard to beat! :)

mapleglo likes this.
  10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

I'm replying before learning which amp is which and before reading all the other comments.

While both amps sound very good (good player with a nice guitar helps), amp "B" overall sounds a little bit muffled/dull in some of the top end. This could likely be cured with a little knob tweaking on the amp! And of course, there are pedal/foot/stomp/thingies involved, so we're not likely hearing the true dynamic and tonal responses of the amps. Either amp sounds to be a fantastic "pedal" platform!

Just My Take On It,
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Mike B likes this.
  11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Well,

It turns out that I called it in my own brain! Most pedal folks could get by fairly well with either, but I think "Straight In" folks would be disappointed!

Just My $.02 & Worth Much Less!
    Gene

Mike B likes this.
  12. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

FWIW, my brother just got a ToneMaster Twin and I got a chance to try it out. WOW........... WOW.......... WOW it's got a great clean tone. At loud(ish) house volume it really packs a punch too. Didn't do any A-B comparisons to other amps but by itself it seems to have a very punchy/dynamic tone.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    stilwel likes this.
  13. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I foolishly made a post on TDPRI on a similar topic. boy are they fragile egos over there.

Tonemaster is great. Sure, it has differences to a TRRI. just like the deluxe has also.

But - the pros - the look, the mass reduction, the power efficiency, the price... it IS a compelling amp at the price point.

However, if you are like me and you have issues with modern modelling pcb junk, then yes, it won't suit your requirements.
    Nonetheless, it does sound good. and for the price.... yes I have a couple of blackface twins, and yes one is a pcb reissue twin.... but aye. the tonemaster is pretty good.

Would I buy ? sure. I would buy one if I was travelling and wanted a new-with-warranty amp that looked like a twin reverb.

But I can buy a Boss Katana 2x12 and sorry... my money would go there if I wanted SS.

I'm uncomfortable with the pricing on both - because the margin is pretty nasty here locally.
    But... if you want a twin and it has to be new and your budget doesn't extend to double that of a tonemaster..... I can see where the purchase decision is made easier.

looks like a twin, sounds like a twin.... take the badge off.... no-one will know it's not a twin... you get my drift.

But the vintage gear lover in me would buy a used SF and refurb it, BF mod the normal channel and do a few other cool mods, just because...
    or an old JCM800 2x12 and mod that.

Or some obscure thing that no-one has ever heard of going for zero money and needs tic....

That's just where I am at in my amp acquisition stage these days. I can see the tonemaster being popular enough that the TRRI and DRRI will become more expensive and far less available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.