Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender USA quality lately

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Old School, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Old School

Old School Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2012
    Australia
    Ok, here is another one, bought a replacement bridge for the deluxe also, as mine is getting a bit ratty, well the plate holding the bridge saddles is heaps thiner and the whole thing is lighter about 100 grams lighter also, just letting you know, didnt say it sounded different or felt different :) Its actually same thickness as a standard but with the deluxe saddles and a new styled whammy bar which I prefer to the last ones that the deluxe USA had.

2. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I love this forum. So I just received my replacement neck plate and I immediately felt ripped off. My squires and MIMs have a much MUCH heavier plate. This one felt so light I wondered if it was made out of plastic (cheap plastic at that)

I still feel heavy=better but what do I know. Maybe fender should say what the plate is made of.

3. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've got 2 brand new Fender neck plates that I ordered that I cannot use because they are too thin. I have ordered the same plates in the past and they were thicker and heavier. These newer "F" plates are so thin that the neck bolts bottom out and cannot tighten properly. There definitely is a difference in the product and the quality of the plate. I ordered one from Amazon and the other from eBay.

4. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Are you using the bolts that came with the new plate or your old bolts?

These "official" neck plates should fit. Now Im worried.

5. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    The new bolts are a larger diameter than the original bolts. So, to answer your question, no... I'm not going to redrill the neck screw holes to replace the neck plate. Im using the original screws and put the old one back on. The new and old screws are the same length, just a different diameter.

6. stevel

stevel Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2011
    here
    I had the same problem with a couple 'F' plates that I bought a few years ago. Much thinner than the stock MIM plates. If you tightened the screws too much the plates would deform. So I didn't use them. It seemed like they were made to be used with one of those plastic gaskets.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

7. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    only thing I have found on some plates is some are thicker and they have had shorter screws. gotta watch out for stripping the holes in the neck

8. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Having just removed my neck plate to take a picture of the pattern underneath for another thread, I can tell you that, assuming everything else is in order, you should not be able to REALLY over tighten the screws by accident. If you drive them in in a star pattern, which creates equal pressure on the neck, the same way you would a tire, they will stop at a certain point. stripping the screws is entirely possible if you do not do this. If you have done this, you have to put some real pressure behind the driver in order to break something and if you are doing that, you have done something wrong; like used the wrong screw driver size or the neck is uneven in the pocket.

9. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Maybe Fender are saving weight as well as costs. I've seen people on here talking about guitar overall weight as if a few ounces less is a real positive thing often enough.

10. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I'm not saying its the case with Fender, but lots of big companies who produce things in large numbers employ, or bring in cost-engineers.

They basically come in and pick something to pieces. A shaving off here, two screws less there, 1.75" off a cable run.

Sometimes it goes to far though, and what was once a premium product starts to slide in overall quality. We can all think of an example there, can't we.. ;):whistling:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    My Vox valvetronix has a terrible plastic nut holding the jack in and it keeps falling off and the jack falls down inside the amp. Saved them .0001 cents so I hope it was worth it.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

12. StratLuv

StratLuv Strat-Talker

Apr 7, 2015
    N/A

Attached Files:

13. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

those are the fret markers.. there is Nothing wrong with that guitar. it was made how it was designed to be made.

what is the deal with folks questioning fenders quality? Am I missing something? I played a buddies mim 2016 and it was awesome. Same thing with the MIAs I have played.

Fender has QC right at this point. not much crap gets out the door.

Textele, Euclid, ocean and 1 other person like this.

14. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Never had a problem with my MIA stratocaster..

15. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Fender has been at the top of their game for quite a while.

My 2016 Am Standard is the best Strat I have ever owned since my first one in 1979, and that is a boatload of Strats.