Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Vaporizer, factory new, humming loudly???

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Bellingjam, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Bellingjam

Bellingjam Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys,

hope this is the right place to post this! I recently got myself a Fender Vaporizer after having played one in a store a few years ago and having read a lot of mostly positive reviews. Now a pretty big store here in Germany had or rather has a massive sale on them, going for just under 200 Euros, so I had to have one! When it finally arrived, I eagerly opened the well- protected box and there it was, in all its vintage glory. Heavy, the thing, and very pretty in red. I went on to plug it in, using the original power adapter/ cable that came with it, and into a socket it went. First, nothing. Then, as the tubes had warmed up a bit, I was greeted by a very unpleasant noise. A buzzing or rather humming sound, kind of like the noise an amp may make when the guitar cable not connected to a guitar touches the floor. At first, I was too impressed by the lovely clean sound at a lower volume this amp gave me to notice it, but slowly, I started to pick up the noise in the background more and more. I checked more or less everything: I plugged the amp in without an instrument connected to it, but the hum was still there. I will try to get an audio recording where you can hear what I mean, maybe somebody has an ides about where the noise may come from? Or maybe it is normal and I am just crazy- always an option ;) Btw, I still can send it back to the store, no questions asked, but they don´t have that one in stock anymore right now, and if I wanted another one, I might have to pay the original price of almost 400 Euros. Thanks in advance to you all!

2. Bellingjam

I just made a quick recording so you can hear what I mean. I uploaded it to soundcloud. The first part is just the amp running, no instrument connected; after that, I plug in a telecaster so you hear what the recording sounds like with the humming amp. Please do not mind the playing, I just wanted you to know whta it sounds like. Thanks again!

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

These amps will hum a bit.....Use good chords and do not sit too close to the amp.....

Bellingjam likes this.
  4. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sounds more like hiss than hum through my ipad.

Bellingjam likes this.
  5. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

While using a known good cable plugged into your guitar , turn the volume all the way down on the guitar, is the hum still there?

Bellingjam likes this.
  6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I heard nothing but a very quiet little hiss in the video and every tube amp I have owned has done that including my $2,200 Swart AST. Sounds 100% normal to me. Is this the first tube amp you have had? They have a bit more noise to them than Solid State ones. Also things like computers, florescent lights and dimmer switches will cause hum and hiss too.

Bellingjam and Percy like this.
  7. Bellingjam

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have tried that, all knobs turned to zero and the hum is still there! It would not bother me as much if I did not intend to use the amp for some recording, and for that, the hum is too loud....

8. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

check those reverb connections.

I had one of these in blue and it was noisy right out of the gate.

that noise increased a fair amount when one of my connections for my reverb tank got banged up.

a good way to test to see if the reverb tank is the issue, simply disconnect it and leave the reverb nob at 0 see if the amp still hums a bunch.

Paperback Rocker and Percy like this.
  9. Bellingjam

Thank you for replying! To be honest,I have only had amps with hybrid technology, such as the Vox VT40, so I am not especially experienced where tube amps are concerned. Does anybody know how I could reduce the noise when recording? lacing the mic further from the amp? Thanks again for the input,highly apreciated! :)

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It could be the power supply for your computer causing that slight hum. Mine often does.

Bellingjam, Stratoskater and carver like this.
  11. Bellingjam

Yeas, I have also considered that possibility, but even after unplugging everything else in the room and switching off the lights, the hum remains. Guess it is ust like that! Thanks everybody, does anybody have an idea for better recordings without as much of the hiss/ hum/ buzz?

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Like I said, on the recording you already posted I didn't hear anything. You can clean up background things like that post recording if need be. Are you trying to cut a demo or album? Think how much hum and hiss must have been in the studios and amps Jimi and Jimmy and Clapton recorded in and their stuff sounded fine.

Bellingjam and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The reverb on this amp is known to be hummy / noisy / hissy....does it happen with the reverb off? @Bellingjam

Bellingjam and Percy like this.
  14. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Even though the amp is new. Didn’t t Fender stop making these like 3 yrs ago? I had 2 red ones. First one hummed a lot, returned it. Second one much better but I didn’t love it so I traded it for a blues jr and never looked back. Hope you get the amp sorted.

JustABluesGuy and Bellingjam like this.
  15. Bellingjam

The hum occurs without any reverb as well, even though using a lot of the included reverb makes it worse. I guess I will just try the amp out a bit more, maybe I return it and get another model to compare. Thanks again! I also considered fliping it with some profit since they tend to go used for about 300, so maybe i will sell it privately. It is quite loud after all ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.