1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Fender Vintera Road Worn, what is going on?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by difter, Sep 23, 2020.

1. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

So I have ordered a new road worn vintera strat in lake placid blue. The initial delivery date was 14th of September, the guitar didn't get shipped so I contacted the store, they said it's delayed and the new date is 19th of October, now apparently it's delayed again and the wait time is more than 3 months, they aren't even sure when it will arrive now. Does this happen with Fender often? Are they all sold out, is there a different reason for this delay? Did anyone else order this guitar?

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Jerseystratfiend

Jerseystratfiend Strat-O-Master

Covid related delay?

3bolt79, StummerJoe and jwj1701 like this.
  3. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

Certainly possible but the model was released with all the Covid stuff going on, one would think that a company as big as Fender would take that into account when giving the store owner a "delivery date". I don't need the guitar that bad, I am just wondering what is going on.

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Vintera series is being discontinued, or some changes being made.

Stratbats, jtoomuch and The-Kid like this.
  5. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

The Fender US Store has no stock of the Vintera Road Worn 50s. The 60s is still available.

Stratafied likes this.
  6. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talk Member

Perhaps they've decided to go for natural relicing process this time? Should be on sale in 30-50 years then.

Seriously though, I reckon COVID prevents them from restarting the factory in full capacity. So the focus is on the more volume sellers, which Vintera Road Worn certainly isn't, alas. Let's be honest, 6 moths ago there were a lot of people downplaying the threat, and even those who took it seriously hoped that by September things would get back to something like normal. So everything is being postponed again and again and again...

Sweet choice, by the way! I hope you get it soon.

[​IMG]

Stonetone, Jesse414, GilmourD and 3 others like this.
  7. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I agree that the duration of the lockdowns has been longer than a lot of companies planned for.

I can also understand wanting what you paid for.

Is it a Mom and Pop store? If so show them extra patience. They aren't given the same considerations by manufacturers as the large volume box stores.

8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Not discontinued; just sold out. As @StummerJoe and others have said production is all jacked up from the shutdown earlier this year.

Stonetone, errikwong, CB91710 and 4 others like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

This.

StummerJoe likes this.
  10. difter

difter Strat-Talk Member

Yes, it is a Mom and Pop store, and I will certainly be patient. I am more frustrated with Fender, they don't give any concrete answers about why the delays are happening. If it's COVID related I think most people would understand.

Jesse414 likes this.
  11. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talk Member

Dollars to donuts its Covid related. There are quite a few things that have been completely disrupted either to supply issues or manufacturing issues.

12. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Same thing happened last year. The Guitar in my Avatar is a Vintera 60's Jazzmaster. I ordered it at the beginning of August 2019. They didn't have them in stock, but I was told they would have them around the 30th. So I waited. The 30th came and went, then I was told September 24th. September 24th came and went, and I asked again. Then they said sometime in November. So I cancelled my order, then went looking on Reverb, and found one, 4 days later it arrived.

I kept tabs on when the big box retailers got them, it was November 22 2019.

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I don't know how it's affecting the guitar production but the maple used for building skateboards supply chain is screwed at the moment, getting new boards made is a PITA.

14. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

Lake placid blue 60s is the best choice of the new road worn offerings. I wish I could see more than just stock photos of these.

Good luck in receiving your purchase

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

When I ordered my Vintera Jag this year.. the color I wanted simply wasn't available almost anywhere..

I went to Reverb and ordered from a store that had one in-hand. There were only 2 that I could find at the time, one in NY, and one in London. That's with me scouring Ebay, Reverb, Sweetwater, GC, MF, and other online retailers.

That's your best bet for 2020. Find a place that has it, in person.

Ordering is certainly a crapshoot, in any industry this year.

I've been without a real couch since July. Their "4 week" estimated time of arrival has turned into 12 weeks. It sucks.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Been happening at Fender since it really was owned by Leo Fender.

There is an Antique Roadshow episode where a guy has the letters from Fender explaining the many months delay in the first LH Stratocaster

Jesse414 and Pandamasque like this.
  17. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Hecho e Mexico, ergo perhaps a supply chain manufacturing issue involving COVID 19 or use of masks. Or they took to many orders.

18. Cymro

Cymro Strat-Talker

Had a similar experience with a Texas Tea ultra Tele.... ordered in January, had delivery dates postponed three times. When I queried it with the distributor I was told they were concentrating on the new models unveiled at NAMM !
    Eventually arrived in May without any notification that it had shipped.

19. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

The perfect storm of slowdown in production due to COVID, coupled with a record year in Fender sales, also due to COVID.

Funny thing is that despite what should be a decline in costs and a significant increase in income, I'd bet that Fender will remain in a precarious financial position that it seems to be eternal.

20. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Yep... Production delays, increased sales, and the typical late-summer "short supply" as production is stopped on the previous year models and ramped up for the new year.
    Vintera isn't being dropped (yet, except for maybe the 70s), but there will be color changes as there are every year.