Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender VINTERA: WHY?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by sadmoodyfrazier, Jun 25, 2019.

1. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

I've got much more infos on new VINTERA series and I'm really upset and disappointed. They've made almost no changes. The only news are that the pickups are very little modified (really?) and they don't make the most beautiful colors anymore. I'm talking about Fiesta Red Classic 50's, Sunburst Classic 50's and Olympic White classic 70's. So if I want to have a very traditional 50's Strat I have to spend almost 20 hundred euros. No choice. They've also took off Road Worns and Lacquer ones so there is no way to have a nitrocellulose lacquer guitar under almost 20 hundred euros. To me we came back at least 20 years in the history of Fender and after taking off and ruining American Vintage series they finally ruined also mexican guitars. They've wanted to justify the incredible rise of prices? I hate this and I think I will never buy a Fender anymore at these conditions. The reason is that they don't make guitars I like anymore. Easy. I was hoping about some good changes but everything they did is almost just changing names and taking off beautiful colors. The guys @ Fender buried themselves with this move. Change that cheap bridge... that's what you have to do.

2. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

No Road Worn or Classic Series Lacquer? That seems like a big mistake.

3. gusgorman

gusgorman Strat-Talk Member

No lacquer is very disappointing

4. sadmoodyfrazier

No Olympic White, Sunburst or Natural 70's Strat, no Sunburst or Black 50's Strat, no Fiesta Red 50's Strat, no Desert Sand or Butterscotch 50's Tele, no 60's Tele without bigsby. No Red Mustang. THIS IS DISAPPOINTING.

lineboat, Lone Woof and Namelyguitar like this.
  5. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

They also ditched the U shape for the 70's neck.

BUT..that Aged Natural is a looker!
    upload_2019-6-25_7-3-14.jpeg

Stratafied, frozensoda, fos1 and 4 others like this.
  6. sadmoodyfrazier

Yes, It's not bad... but the classic Natural look was a KILLER!

Neil.C and kris ford like this.
  7. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Where did you get the information they got rid of the U shape on the 70s?
    The Gearwire leak I saw said neck profiles will be period correcr.

8. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

For the last 5 or so years every move Fender has made has been to increase pricing.

Neil.C and sadmoodyfrazier like this.
  9. sadmoodyfrazier

The Vintera series appeared on Fender.com this morning for me. The 70's has some kind of "C" as far as I remember.

Well I'm hating them.

DaveTone and Namelyguitar like this.
  10. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Yes indeed, I've had a couple myself, one maple neck, and a RW.
    20170703_100217_HDR.jpg [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully there may be many NOS available for a while!

11. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

upload_2019-6-25_7-20-38.png

12. sadmoodyfrazier

Beautiful 'tars... If I've had money to buy I would take at least a couple of Classics right now.

kris ford and Namelyguitar like this.
  13. sadmoodyfrazier

Guys, I'm too much disappointed. Really... I'm gonna go for Squiers and Epiphones from here to eternity. At least they are cheap and made very good for the price.

BobbyS and Namelyguitar like this.
  14. mlogni1

mlogni1 New Member!

Hi all, new member here. Could not agree more with this post! This is a big mistake for Fender as I see it. It’s this exact same kind of move— walling off pretty much their entire vintage spec. customer base—that ultimately led Gibson to bankruptcy last year! When Gibson’s vintage Les Pauls and 335s etc. became almost strictly custom shop instruments and hence all but inaccessible to the average player, a lot of vintage enthusiasts with ordinary incomes (myself included) turned to Fender to fill the void. No doubt they profited greatly from Gibson's blunder for several years...my 60s Classic Series Laquer Strat (with rosewood board) is proof positive of that. I’m sure many of you can say the same.

And now that Gibson appears to have reversed course under new management, Fender is setting itself up for the same trouble Gibson suffered. Just plain silly!

I’m not the most business savvy person around, but accessibility to the most number of people seems to me to be the best way to maximize your profits.

Don’t know that it will do any good, but I plan to send a comment letter to the Fender corporate office about this. I sincerely hope that this move gets reversed and soon...before it’s too late.

15. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

In a way, I feel your pain.

The MIM Standards had hit a spot with me.
    9.5" Satin C 21 fret necks? I'd have than on my hypothetical CS Strat.
    6 screw trem? My preference.
    LPB and CAR along with the classics? Loved it.
    So they were merely a set of vintage tuners away from perfection for me, and that at 550€!

And then along came the players with 22 frets and 2 points and weird new colors vaguely reminiscent of Fiesta Red and Olympic White but not quite close enough not to look weird every time I set eyes upon them...
    The neck profile is just about the only thing that caters to me and I've got guitars with that profile.
    All I'd want a new guitar for by now is the looks and they kinda lost me there.

Then I was looking forward to getting a Classic Series 60s in LPB (LPB and a streaky PF board... man, that's something!) and now they've discontinued that as well.

But you know what?
    In the years and years I've fancied Standards and LPB Classics, I've never actually bought one. I had my guitars. And having another one just for looks simply wasn't that strong an argument. So I bought no new guitars.

And I guess that's the point. That's why they're refreshing the range after a decade. To make the new models interesting enough so folks buy them.
    Might not be you. Might not be me (But that IBM Strat and FR Tele...).
    Or we might both own one in the near future because they sound nice, play smoothly and look good.

'cause has anyone actually played a Vintera?

How do you know the pickups aren't as good?
    How could you ever live with the previous changes in the colors they offered?
    Were the Classic Series necks your very favourite specs and now they're gone?
    Aren't you tired of seeing the same old 5 colors over and over again?
    And most importantly: how do you know there won't be a Lacquer Vintera at the next NAMM?

[Edit: I'm not addressing anyone in particular here btw.]

But seriously, how dumb can a product name be? Vintera -.-

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    _MS_ and Namelyguitar like this.
  16. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Yep I think they’ll FSR the living daylights out of this, that’s where all your favourite colours/finishes will be. All nicely ‘limited’ runs so people hurry out to buy them.

Vintera though? They had that brainstorm when everyone was hungry and desperate to get out for lunch!

Dare1 and slowesthand like this.
  17. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Really happy that I have my 2018 Classic Series 50's Daphne Blue.

The-Kid and TangerineDog like this.
  18. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

I'm a real p.i.t.a. when I'm hungry but even then I retain a basic sense of pride and decency...
    My money's on the new intern and the CEO both getting the date wrong and the actual marketing team being a week 'late' to the party...

Martins Strat likes this.
  19. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Oh my sweet lord. Everyone settle down.

They just released the Vintera line. NOT the entire line. They do this all the time. Release one "line" and then announce the other run a couple of months down the line.

And remember: There are literally hundreds of thousands of used guitars for you to chose from. The very guitar you're upset is disappearing is sitting in many warehouses right now waiting for you to buy them. And when those are gone, people will be selling slightly used ones.

And if enough people scream for one color they don't see, you will likely see it the next year.

It will all be ok. These are inanimate objects and no reason at all to swear off of an entire company based on a single release like this.

But yeah, it is a very stupid name. Can't defend that one.

20. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Also a great time to seek out some NOS bargains.

I got my AV about six months after they were replaced with the ‘Original’ or whatever they’re called for a bargain price.

Neil.C, TangerineDog and sgarnett like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.