Fender vs. G&L - Explain This to Me, Please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BuckNekkid, Jan 5, 2017.

1. darvin

darvin New Member!

I bought my first g&l yesterday my question is why have I been buying fenders the bass and treble system where has this been

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  2. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I'd like to check one out... some youtuber said you could build-to-order one with some specs at production prices (like add ss frets and different pickup configs)

If that's true, i'd love to buy one

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Zombie Thread.

The_Whale and CB91710 like this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The correct answer is "it depends" - for example SS frets will always drive the price up at least $100 over the standard price. Also pickup configurations is an overstatement as well - they make a bunch of pickup configurations but they are stock models. And some of the configurations are only in the "Option Order" tier.

G&L's current USA tiers are:
    • Fullerton Deluxe - not all their models, neck specs are set to their "standard" shape/radius which pretty much matches Fender's Modern C as found on American Performers/American Standards/etc. (G&L has 9 neck shapes, each of which is available with 3 radius options); Fullerton Deluxe are also only in a few (ranging from 3-6) color/pickguard/fingerboard wood
    • CLF Research - also set neck specs and limited color/pickguard/fingerboard wood options; this tier has essentially a "reissue" version of the Skyhawk model, a Doheny model with different pickups (that Leo was evidently working on before his death), and the Espada (a prototype Leo worked on circa 1969/70 - before he joined Music Man).
    • Option Order - more models, you can pick any of G&L's 6 C-shaped neck carves (and pick from the 3 radius options), any colors, any pickguards, any pickup cover colors, several other options
    • Custom Shop - adds even more options including nitro finishes, all 9 necks shapes (there are 3 V or U shapes that you can only get from the Custom Shop), etc.
    So how close an Option Order or Custom Shop is to the Fullerton Deluxe prices will depend upon what options you want. I will say that unless you go crazy an Option Order can be just about the same as a Fullerton Deluxe, but you'll get a G&G hard case with the Option Order instead of the gig bag with the Fullerton Deluxe.

The_Whale, diogoguitar and CB91710 like this.
  5. stroogs

stroogs New Member!

I came across this thread and made an account just to post for anyone reading this years old thread trying to decide between a Fender and a G&L. G&L's are better guitars than Fenders. By a long shot. Both the Tributes and the made in U.S.A models. The design is better (knobs are moved ever so slightly to be out of your hands way), headstock pocket is deeper, fit and finish is better, materials are much better, tremolo system is leagues better (doesn't go out of tune and requires zero witch-craft), the stock pickups are better. All of this results in a guitar that sings and has sustain you wouldn't believe possible out of a bolt-on neck guitar. The people making them actually care. All of this and they are significantly cheaper to purchase both new and used for what you get. I'd argue that your average made in Fullerton Legacy with a good setup will rival what comes out of Fender's custom shop. You can find used American legacy's for around 800 bucks sometimes. That's about the same as a current Mexican made Fender made out of 7-10 pieces of low quality alder.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Duane_the_tub and soulman969 like this.
  6. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Funny one of our guitar builder said that SS frets are like $15 more, not $100

7. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

Kinda nice ain't it. The G&L Tribute Series guitars and basses are IMHO a true bargain in comparison to what Fender gets for a very similar model built in Mexico.

The Saddle Lock and Dual Fulcrum bridges and the MFD pickups are the very same as those used on their US builds and just one of many improvements Leo made to them.

I also find that G&L spends far more time on getting their finishes as good as you'll find on instruments costing far more. The Tribute Series just offers fewer choices.

I've been playing Fenders since the '60s but will never buy another new Fender guitar or bass. G&L simply offers better overall value for similar guitars and basses.

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Fender is Fender.

G&L is G&L.....

Pretty simple.

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I agree, the one Fender was Leo and any company he had an active roll in bears his legacy. Once he left Fender both Musicman and G&L were such companies and Fender, under CBS ceased to be one. The post-CBS Fender inherited some of the original blood line by virtue of the ex Leo Fender employees who formed it and it is debatable at what point or if it has now became just another guitar company. How much of Leo’s input remains in the modern products of these companies is endlessly debatable. Even the quality of the products has always been a discussion point. Is a guitar built virtually by hand by some or other employees in the late 50’s early 60’s necessarily better built than one made latterly on stage of the art machinery set up to tolerances of 1,000th of an inch?

All you can be sure of is that rarity and a long history count a great deal when it comes to prices. ‘Fender’ on the headstock, no matter if it’s in small print and dwarfed by ‘Squier’, will indicate to most that the instrument is of good quality, particularly to those first time buyers. Thereafter, it seems, loyalty, trust and, possibly, a need for the kudos of owning a well known brand that even non-players have heard of, outweigh other considerations for a huge number of guitarists.

We’re mostly a conservative bunch! (Before the mods remove this as political, please note the small ‘c’!)

10. Wrighty

Just found out, only because I’ve only just looked, that Fender is now owned by Servco Pacific, who mainly deal in the automotive industry. I doubt there’s much Fender DNA left by now!

savofenno likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Doesn’t matter, a topic that merits further discussion as things move on.

Boyd L likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

o_O