Fender website out of stock of most Strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Numbercruncher, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I was looking at various Strats at the Fender site and every model I clicked on said out of stock. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it signifies the site is about to be updated with new models so they are designating everything as out of stock? I only clicked on about five models but all said, "Notify me when in stock." This includes the American Original, American Performer as well as the Player series.

NC

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Stratafied and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Fender has recorded record sales in the last few months. Apparently since people were stuck at home and/or got stimulus checks they decided to buy a guitar and learn. Sucks a lot are out of stock or backordered. But it makes me happy that people are taking the initiative to learn guitar. And what better way to start than a Fender, right? The good thing for us old guys (and this sounds mean) is that some of these people are going to give up quickly. And the second hand market is soon going to have some fantastic deals on Fender guitars. I look forward to that. But I am genuinely happy for the people who decided to take up the guitar as well. Especially the ones that stick with it. Good for them.

3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed with @valor19 - Fender's had a boom year for sales combined with smaller production since they were on shutdown/limited production for several months in the spring.

Plus they're getting ready to release the American Professional II series here shortly - if they're saying "October" it could be as early as this Thursday (10/1). Someone mentioned in one of the long posts about the American Professional IIs that Fender did miss a full run of American Professional v1s (so they decided to move forward with the Am Pro IIs a few months early); I suspect they also missed scheduled runs of all the other USA models and some of the MIM models as well.

3bolt79 and Numbercruncher like this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

My guess would be all the above. In addition, it's looking less and less certain that there will tjhe next NAMM will happen, so maybe they're going to start rolling out the new models over the next 2 or 3 months and not just the AmProII.

3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I was thinking along these same lines. One reason used guitars sold as cheaply as they did in the late '60s and early '70s was the sheer numbers of them for sale. Only it was American and English rock groups that drove the market for new guitars and learning to play not a deadly virus.

Right now seemingly there is a lack of top shelf used gear available and prices have increased dramatically on what is selling. Sooner or later that will shift in the opposite direction the used market will become more saturated and prices will decline as nearly new models are unloaded by those who did give up.

circles likes this.
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

yeah. Fender has been selling out on about everything, and the supply chain providing the hardware, and raw materials is seriously weakened due to COVID.. things are Just BEGINNING to return to normal, but, normal is still pretty darn far away...

r

Baelzebub and Danny D like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Just wait for the 2021 used market!

BelairPlayer, pwhite, Bowmap and 3 others like this.
  8. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Wonder if Gibson is having this problem, yuck yuck!

jtoomuch and Boognish like this.
  9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. There will be lots of virtually unplayed guitars underneath beds very soon.
    Everybody underestimates the amount of effort it takes to be a competent guitarist.

stylemessiah likes this.
  10. Numbercruncher

I did not know Fender missed an entire run but coupling that with demand can easily lead to a shortage.

I can see where this summer had record sales and now fall may actually suffer if there is no product in the supply chain.

NC

11. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Then again over this winter a lot of people may find they do in fact have the time to dedicate to it.... unfortunately for the second hand market.

12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

..or updated with new PRICES. You order directly from Fender ?

13. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Define competent....With most of todays pop music, one could get by knowing only the cowboy chords; nothing complex about it.

14. Numbercruncher

I have only ordered direct from Fender once. With Fenderplay I get a 10% discount which is enough for me. The model I wanted was not available from GC so I went straight to Fender. I have been at their website daily to see if the American Pro II has been formally announced but nothing yet as we all know. I just happened to notice that every guitar I looked at was out of stock so I thought maybe it was just a way of shutting down their ordering while they updated either models or prices LOL.

NC

15. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I believe you got the gist of my comment

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

17. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Supply chains got really screwed up for a while. Fender relies on a bunch of suppliers. Lumberyards, paint supplies, pots, wire...they don't just make that in-house. And no doubt they have a just-in-time supply model. If your pallet of CTS pots can't get unloaded because the crane operator is in quarantine, everything gets delayed.

Add increased demand...

And with the increased demand, they may need more employees, more workstations, new machines. How do you train workers for these hands-on jobs without coming within six feet? Or set up work stations? I'm glad that isn't my headache.

18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

There are lots available.

19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Ebidis likes this.
  20. KCMustang

KCMustang Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I was asking about a Kurt Cobain Jaguar down here in NZ as they were on the Fender site but not in the shops. Fender told my local rep production had been affected by Covid so they were only making them to order and doing a batch run at the end of this year or early 2021. It is a niche guitar I guess & I imagine they'll want to concentrate on the bigger sellers right now.