Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Wood Changes

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by OlyMap, May 19, 2017.

1. OlyMap

OlyMap Strat-Talker

Apr 4, 2016
    London
  2. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I'm ok with pau ferro and ebony. I love a rosewood board, but pau ferro is pretty damn close. Plus, if it's good enough for SRV to request it on his sig model (so the story goes), it's good enough for me.

fender68 and OlyMap like this.
  3. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Wow, Thats's unreal. Good thing I like maple!

circles and AxemanVR like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Omni-stratz

Omni-stratz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2016
    Wiltshire UK
    Breaking news!!................Rosewood fretboard guitars rare, so are becoming collectable.:):):thumb:

yamariv and fender68 like this.
  6. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    There are great woods which are just ripe for the use as well. Ziricote and Machiche are 2 such woods you could add in.

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Why only Mexican made and American made Elite guitars and basses?

8. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    The Chinese import huge amounts of rosewood for furniture manufacture, wherein lies the problem.
    No doubt illegal logging for rosewood will expand to satisfy the demand.
    Quantities used for musical instrument fingerboards are comparatively small and should be excluded from the regulations.

circles likes this.
  9. OlyMap

OlyMap Strat-Talker

Apr 4, 2016
    London
    I know, wierd right?

10. OlyMap

OlyMap Strat-Talker

Apr 4, 2016
    London
    True enough, but you can hardly argue the case for them to stop using it and continue to use it yourself just based on quantity. All the guitar manufacturers as a group must use plenty of the stuff.

It may be a drop in the ocean but it's a responsible position to take.

Ditchgator and Cerb like this.
  11. Heruhur

Heruhur Strat-Talk Member

May 18, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Probably Pau Ferro for mexican because its a cheap substitute. And Ebony on its "premium" elite guitars. They probably have enough rosewood to last a while for the American special and professional series.

Then you have:
    Mexican: Pau Ferro
    American: Rosewood
    American Elite: Ebony

In short cheap guitar cheap wood, expensive guitar expensive wood.

Percy and Stratoskater like this.
  12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yep, that's what I was thinking too.

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Administrator Staff Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    I know they've added on the extra cash on models with rosewood fretboards in the UK. Mark up is about £20 and upwards. I would be quite happy for Fender to try different woods as an experiment.

14. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    The end of rosewood fretboard?!?!
    What about the Professionals and other models?

15. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-Talker

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Through inference, I suppose we're to assume that rosewood will continue to be used on the American Vintage, Professional, and Special series?

16. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Like I said nobody cares about the wood it is all about making money.
    Pau Ferro and Ebony are better and more rare than any rosewood on the planet.
    They change rare wood that has to be held away from all criminal wood users xD with rarer and more expensive wood.

I like Pau Ferro and I love ebony - so be it,
    Robin

fender68 and Rastus like this.
  17. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Personally, I think they should just stop producing guitars. Period!

How many more guitars does the world need. Its awash with the bloody things. They're everywhere, and the majority never, I repeat 'never' get played. They end up under beds, in box rooms, garages, and car boot sales, along with billions of other 'things', after the 5 minute wonder has worn off. An absolute disgusting waste of the worlds resources.

Ok, I've had my little rant, and I have to hold my hand up and say in the past I've been just as guilty as anybody else as far as guitars are concerned, a few other things too. However, until industries can prove that the materials/energy they use to produce 'things' is sustainable, then at the very least enforceable quotas should be introduced that force a meaningful change of process. Not just move on to some other species that will end in exactly the same way. That won't happen of course because all industries are afraid of losing market share. A vicious circle that I certainly can't see an end to..

Omni-stratz and OlyMap like this.
  18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2016
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Yeah, I too like maple just fine on my Fenders, but I would miss not having rosewood on my Guild D-40...

'

19. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    New trees can be replanted after trees are harvested. It seems to me trees are renewable, as long as companies are responsible and actually replant trees after they're harvested. And if there is known demand for a particular wood, I don't see why they can't plant extra trees to raise just for this purpose.

And guitar playing is often a hobby for many people.. I don't think we need to shame people for not playing their guitars. Sometimes I go a few months without playing, but I end up picking up a guitar and playing a bit eventually. You could look at anything people do as a hobby and ask "how many does the world really need?", but I don't think you can blame people for having an occasional hobby. People enjoy having something to do in their free time and might not be able to do it all the time. If they don't do it professionally, then there's a good chance someone might have other things to do that prevents them from playing guitar a lot.

20. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Is Pau Ferro really cheap? They use it on the higher dollar SRV strat and it's typically more expensive when you source a warmoth with it.

21. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    the trees will still be here when humans have self destructed

rlmcritters1 likes this.