Fenders Price increase

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Aqueix, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Well $250 in 73 is equivalent purchasing power to $1,540 today. Am Pro II is what $1,600, pretty close to the same in 2021 money vs. 1973 money.

fos1, Neil.C and Intune like this.
  2. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Makes me feel smarter and smarter for buying a used American Standard in almost new condition for $900 4 years ago. :)

Archtops and JP68 like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Price increases suck but how is it ridiculous? Companies will charge what the market will accept and considering my GC and Sam Ash are both 12-16 months back ordered on Martin and Gibson and 6 months on Fender I’d say people are willing to pay.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

I bought the guitar used in 1988 so the inflation adjusted price would be about $570. I also sold it in 1992 for the same amount, about $485 in today's dollars.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Archtops likes this.
  6. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

Get used to it. We're in for a period of great inflation. The increased cost of fuel affects everything we buy, and the transportation shortage has created demand for products that manufacturers have trouble fulfilling. My company has orders that we usually can fill in 1 to two months. We're now quoting 6 to 9 months when a sale is made. As a result, revenue decreases. The only solutions are to reduce costs (this usually means reducing head count), or increase prices so we can pay our employees. Neither solution is desirable but, raising prices can save at least some jobs.

The_Whale and JP68 like this.
  7. ReedRainey

ReedRainey Strat-Talk Member

If you don't think the USD has been devalued that much, start peeking at the conversion rates from USD to EUR, the most common exchange rate. ex.: Just plug into Google <USD to EUR>. Then check again every week at the same conversion rate. That will tell you more than anything about the changes. You can track these changes for a 10-year period for perspective.

Archtops likes this.
  8. publius

publius Strat-Talker

yesterday I saw on craigslist a listing for a Fender STRATECASTER guitar MIM 525.00 OBO
    I clicked on the link. It was a Telecaster. A Nashville Deluxe 60th Anniversary in Honey Blonde.That would be an Ash Bodied model.It looked in excellent condition with the brass in the bridge looking as how one might expect it to after being placed in a closet and unattended to for some years.
    Advertised as rarely played but recently having the electronics checked and restrung by a "tech." Apparently the Tech did not tell the fellow who told me that he bought if from a friend 7 or 8 years ago and only "played" it about 10 times over the years that it was a Telecaster, that no such model as a STRATECASTER existed.. I figured he could never tune it up with that old style 6 saddle brass bridge set up and put it away, and finally put it up for sale all these years later. I explained that at this point 525.00 was too expensive for me and advised him that if at some point in the future he would drop the price to about 400 dollars I would consider it.

Although "deals" may become less and less, they may still be had....or perhaps not, depending on the breaks.

9. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

I'm guessing Fender was getting tired of the 1% profit margin, they were working on.

Aqueix likes this.
  10. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

It stinks. And I'm sure that Gibson's 10% price increase at the same time is a mere coincidence. The bigs are always in synch. It's called price fixing or collusion. This comes at a time when so many musicians are hurting due to lack of live venues. It will also drive up the prices for used instruments. Many people are not willing, say to pay $3,300 for a new Gibson ES-339, so they will hit Reverb or Ebay trying to find a used one. So, up go the prices. There are some fine manufacturers who will hold the line and not raise prices. If people like Heritage, perhaps PRS, and others publicize the fact they aren't raising prices, they can get business away from the gougers. I won't spend $1,150 for a MIM Fender, or a bloody fortune for a Ultra-Luxe-Mega-Bucks-Plus American Strat. I hope they lose business. For Fender, it's profits ahead of all else. They are charging $1,200 for a solid-state, Chinese made amp (Their Super Reverb Tone Master). The profit margin on that is WAY higher than for any amp made in Mexico or the US. And if you want the tube Super Reverb Reissue, they jacked the price of that to around $1,800. I hope they have warehouses full of unsold inventory. It's time for the smaller manufacturers to take them on.

11. Stratocaster4life

Stratocaster4life Strat-Talk Member

View and judgment are synonyms of opinion. You could substitute opinion back into the definition and get "1. an opinion about something"

12. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

I think that they will do it as long as they get away with it which will probably be forever.

13. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talk Member

That is why I hold on to my guitars. I bought them because they play great. Had to sell 8 of them to downsize, but the rest are keepers.

Guitdog44 likes this.