Fender's Quality Control? Twisted neck?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Suhr66, May 1, 2021.

1. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

I bought a masterbuilt strat and found out that the neck relief at each side of the string(1st, 6th) is different. When I set the neck relief at 6th string 0.010", the neck relief at 1st string 0.022". Also at the 6th string side, 9~12th fret is higher that neighboring frets so it looks like it is backbowed at 9~12th fret while the whole neck is slightly upbowed.
    I thought that this is defective product but the dealer told me it is very normal and it doesn't violate fender's quality control. Can't believe fender assure the 0.012" difference between neck relief of each side of the neck, also twisted at 9~12th fret, consider it is 6000$+ instrument. Any idea about that?

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  2. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Welcome to the forum. Can you post some pictures of the problem areas, and at least one that shows the whole guitar?

My initial thought is that it's very possible that it needs a setup after transit to Seoul, and that wouldn't be unusual or say anything about Fender's QC. I would expect that if any Fender is going to leave the factory as close to perfect as humanly possible, it's going to be a masterbuilt, so I'd be surprised if there are any actual defects or poorly finished bits. But anything's possible...

The-Kid likes this.
  3. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

Hi thanks for greeting. I already set up my guitar at many guitar shops, and the difference between neck relief at each side is not the matter of the set up, because one side already has more relief. I asked about fender's QC because the dealer refuse to refund the guitar because it doesn't violate fender's QC. I thought it was ridiculous. If i set very standard neck relief at 6th string, my 1st string's neck relief would be incredibly high( about 0.022") I would probably take some photos soon and post it.

4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

From what I have seen and played in shops, Fender CS cost the money they charge because of bespoke feature set, not really QC - maybe it's a bit better, but in my limited experience, I don't see it.

If you are not happy, you must argue the case with the dealer. However, if the guitar plays well (good action, no buzzing, good intonation) you may not have a case, despite measurements.

If it does not play well, the dealer must return or fix it. A competent setup (nut/saddle adjustement), fret job or Plek may solve playability issues. Fenders are very adjustable.

Wood is a natural material, but you are talking 0.3mm deviation. I would not be entirely happy but also not surprised.

Post some pictures and good luck!

Esg877 and Triple Jim like this.
  5. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I'm not sure of your use of "6th string" and "1st string" - is your 1st string the low E?

Having more relief on the lower strings (EAD) is an advantage for playability because they vibrate in a larger arc and are more likely to buzz. I have a Les Paul Faded DC that has greater relief on the bass side than the treble side. In that case, set the relief for the higher strings (GBE) and the lower ones will be fine.

If it's the other way around, then you'll get buzz on the lower strings when the relief is set for the GBE.

This is all fine on a production guitar, but I wouldn't expect that on a Masterbuilt, which presumably cost huge amounts of $$$. In fact it's unacceptable and I would be inclined to take it to a luthier for assessment and contact Fender about a replacement.

Esg877, Torvald and Cerb like this.
  6. nadzab

There's no reason you can't contact Fender directly. Out of curiosity, how are you measuring the relief?

Stratoskater and Cerb like this.
  7. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Honestly, if the wood is stable and had been properly dried, 0.012" is pretty miniscule. Keep in mind that the neck will move up to 3 times that much with a 1/4 turn of the truss rod. Also, wood never stops moving. Even when sealed in a lacquer or heavy poly. It's why we need to make seasonal adjustments on our guitars most of the time. Nothingbis ever going to be perfect when it leaves the shop...and if it is, it won't be when it gets to your hands unless you live across the street from the factory it was made in.

Mr_10awg, CB91710, Esg877 and 3 others like this.
  8. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

I mean 6th string to be low E, and as you said, it's a big problem because, I get buzzing sound from lower strings but still high e is very hard to play

9. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

I contacted fedner directly but they answered me to deal with dealer. Dealer said it's due to fender's QC but I don't even know what's the criteria of fender.

10. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

Yep you are right, but I can't adjust each side of the neck separately and that's the problem.

11. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Where do you get the buzzing? 0.3mm diffetence difference shouldn't make the high e "very hard to play".

CB91710 and Esg877 like this.
  12. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

I get the buzz at 2-9 fret at 5th string almost all frets fo 4,3rd string. And 0.3mm of neck relief cause my 1st string(high e) to be very high, almost 2.1mm at 12th fret.

Waldo Jones likes this.
  13. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Are you sure this is a relief issue and not a proud fret issue? Check it with a fret rocker.

A fret that isn't properly seated could give you these same measurements, and a bad fret is a problem that is easier to understand. They're more likely to accept the return if it's a problem they understand.

14. nadzab

Really? You bought a masterbuilt and they basically blew you off? I had some issues with a MIM Standard a few years ago and they went out of their way to take care of me. Their customer service is known to be pretty good.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

No it is certainly neck issue, not fret. The dealer confirmed it but they insist that 0.3mm difference doesn't violate fender's quality control so they couldn't accept return or offer neck replacement. So I asked what's the fender's QC, and they won't tell me.

16. Suhr66

Suhr66 Strat-Talk Member

Fender said the international customers should ask it to my country's dealer. Couldn't understand it.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Maybe because of the cost and difficulty of overseas shipping, their first choice is to have it handled locally. But I would think that if the problem isn't resolved locally they will help you directly. I'm guessing though.

18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I don't think I've seen a QC spec for neck twist. But if I was measuring for it, I'd use a notched straight edge, just to take the frets out of the equation.

Stratoskater likes this.
  19. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

is the neck fully seated in the neck pocket, is one side not seated?

Esg877 and Suhr66 like this.
  20. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

They told you a twisted neck isn't a qc issue?
    On a 6k guitar?
    That's the craziest thing I've heard all day, but it's still early.

diogoguitar, Esg877, jtoomuch and 7 others like this.