Fender's Quality Control? Twisted neck?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Suhr66, May 1, 2021.

1. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

You and Fender are both right. A slight twist doesn’t really affect the playability and a lot of Fender necks have this issue. Many players don’t even know their neck is like this. But you are also right to say that an expensive Custom Shop guitar should not have any twist issues like this.

Part of the problem is that you should have seen this twist before you purchased such a guitar. Even though it should not be your responsibility ultimately it is, because most guitar store guys would be ignorant to this and probably try and tell you that you are wrong to avoid any accountability.

I’m sure this twist was in the neck before you purchased it. This is not an issue that miraculously appears out of nowhere. The guitar made it past Fenders QC and where ever you bought it passed their QC which puts it on you, which is unfortunate.

If you have had the guitar less than 90 days, I would return it for a refund and buy something else. If not, you could press Fender and try and get them to replace the neck? Don’t give up in this because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I’d call them every day until they resolve it for you, eventually that will, I think?

In the worst case scenario you could buy a replacement neck the resell the original neck, but that would suck.

jtoomuch likes this.
  2. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

They buzz plugged in, you just don't hear it

CB91710, Stratoskater, kdines and 2 others like this.
  3. Ubermuzik

Ubermuzik Strat-Talk Member

I would venture to say it’s not a maple neck ( one piece ) . I may be wrong of course, but rosewood over maple is not the same thing. Even maple over maple are hard as a rock, and the quality in my experience has always been great on maple necks. For that kind of money you have Fender build a guitar that is not a production model,even if Masterbuilt.

4. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I don't understand what "relief" means.

5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The longitudinal curvature of the neck. Can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the truss rod nut.

jtoomuch likes this.
  6. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Relief is the amount of curvature (typically up-bow) in the neck. It's one of the basic adjustments in setup.

jtoomuch likes this.
  7. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Strat rattle and fret buzz are two different things. The rattle isn’t usually an issue but the fret buzz always is one.
    The rattle occurs because of the path the string take when vibrating over a neck with little relief. Fret buzz is usually from a high or low fret.

Believer7713 and Willmunny like this.
  8. nadzab

Still no pictures of the guitar in question...?

Stratoskater, Murphcaster and RobZ69 like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

quit measuring it and play it

CB91710 and Stratoskater like this.
  10. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

11. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Thank you. So I would think the idea is the neck needs to be exactly parallel with the strings, right?

nadzab likes this.
  12. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

- Unbelievable treatment. That's a CRAZY expensive instrument and it should play like butter from day 1, and they should roll a red carpet everytime you visit the store;

- That's perfect example for why I don't spend that much on a single guitar. Law of diminishing returns: the curve begins to flaten at about $1k, for guitars;

- If I understood correctly, your problem could be solved by a leveling of the fretboard to compensate for the (supposed) twist, and a refret. But you should NEVER have to do it on a new 'masterbuilt';

- I'd keep emailing Fender every day until they solve the problem. You can get an ad-on for gmail called Boomerang that lets you schedule emails. Schedule emails 3 times a day for customer service (and dealer) with your complaint, tell them you won't stop until it's solved, and let it run forever. Post every day on Fender social media and ask your friends to like, comment and react.

13. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

No, it should have a tiny curvature (the 'relief') to alow the strings to vibrate in an arc without hitting the frets in vibration.
    If it's perfectly parallel, you'd get exactly the unwanted fret buzz.

nadzab likes this.
  14. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

It's when your girlfriend tells you that her period finally came.:D

Wrighty and jtoomuch like this.
  15. nadzab

Right. If you want to measure it, capo the first fret, fret the low E string at the highest fret, and check the relief at the 8th fret with a feeler gauge. This is what Fender recommends. Top number is neck radius, recommended relief underneath:

7.25":
    .012" (0.3 mm)

9.5" to 12":
    .010" (0.25 mm)

15" to 17":
    .008" (0.2 mm)

Personally, I never measure, I eyeball it and adjust until the guitar plays comfortably and the notes are ringing cleanly without buzz under amplification, once the action is where I want it.

jtoomuch and Esg877 like this.
  16. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Annnd there goes the thread. This joint is becoming a sewer.

Tguitarfloyd and Believer7713 like this.
  17. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

@Suhr66 No, not acceptable answer and I think you should push back. A custom shop instrument, especially by fender, cannot have any twist at all.
    Even Gibson USA ($2,500) that people talk so much trash about their QC,... they honor the lifetime warranty if the neck has a twist in it.

OP, if I were you, I'd just push back saying this is not acceptable. I'm sure some of the employees follow this forum (and are reading this thread). If they care about their reputation, they'll fix it.

Suhr checks their necks at least twice for twist (they dry the wood before working on it, then let the neck sit for A MONTH before fretting it). All that for a $2500-$2800 instrument.
    Ironically, my build came a month and a half delayed because of this. But, the guitar basically plays by itself lol

18. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

excuse me?

too many people start measuring things they know little to nothing about.

Edit: then they complain when the guitar center luthier doesn’t change their strings right.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Or the countdown to the motorway services is shown in yards not miles.

Thrup'ny Bit and Esg877 like this.
  20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Guitar center luthier?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahagagagag

Esg877 and AngelDeVille like this.