FERNANDES LE 2FS SUSTAINER GUITAR HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by zozoe, Mar 20, 2020.

1. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Hoping everyone's safe.. This is strange territory for me & probably most of you, but as I know less than any of you, I've included some pictures of the circuitry & any necessary wiring.
    The issue is that I cannot get the Sustainer (neck) p/u to go on. Guitar has a 3-way switch..The bridge is fine, as is the middle, but oddly, the middle p/u is on also in the #3 position. I went as far as disconnecting the middle p/u to verify this finding... and nothing happening the neck position. One thing that caught my eye was that those red & white (& perhaps black?) wires go from the neck p/u going to one side of that board, then off the other side of the board & straight to that Mini-pot on the bottom of the pic, with NOTHING going to the switch. On the switch, the Blue is the bridge, Red is the Middle, & that White wire in the Middle goes to one of the pots. Also, 2 of the 3 mid p/u wires are going to ground.... Fernandes can offer no further info on this model. Can ANYONE help me make heads or tails out of this, & has anyone ever worked on one, or know anyone who has??
    If you've read this far, thanks, & I look forward to hearing back.
    Kenny

Attached Files:

2. JimiisGod

JimiisGod Strat-Talker

Not to be simple but wheres the battery>?

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  3. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Battery's fine,,, see red light in edge of circuit board,,, sorry...

4. JimiisGod

JimiisGod Strat-Talker

I had to ask but im sorry i know nothing about wiring, i had one of the and I dont remember pickup switch having to do with sustainer, i think when its on its making strings vibrate somehow via magnetic force and notes just stay ringing whether on bridge or neck, good luck, I gotta me another one:)

5. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

So Jimii,, you actually had this guitar? I hear what your saying, & it make a lot of sense, especially from what I'm seeing. My suss is that it's not really a magnetic p/u that delivers a signal, but instead creates a magnetic field that gets the strings vibrating..... but why the 3-way that is Bridge-Middle-Middle?
    Kenny Screenshot_20200120-231717_Reverb.jpg Screenshot_20200120-231717_Reverb.jpg

6. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

I had a hot pink colored guitar back in the early 2000s with a Sustainiac in the neck, it had a dedicated switch. I only had it for a few months so I don't remember much more than it was a cool (but ugly) musical tool..

What do those two toggle switches on the body do? If the pickup-selector switch is only 3-way then the sustainer (neck) I believe is intended to be activated by one of those two lower switches..

I will study your pics to see if I can figure it out but if you can describe what those lower toggle switches do that would be helpful..

EDIT: Found the info I needed, link posted below..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  7. Stephen James

Here is the page where you can download the wiring instructions for your sustainer:

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/support/downloads/cat_view/66-sustainer.html

It looks like yours would be the pre-2019 'FSK401.pdf'..

It also looks like you will need a 5-way pickup selector switch. The 3-way pickup selector switch you have is wired for what would be standard H-H, in your case it does {bridge---bridge+middle---middle}, but the sustainer needs a 5-way pickup selector to integrate its specific wiring..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. Stephen James

@zozoe I sent you a PM..

Also, about those two toggle switches in the body, one is a 3-way for sustainer output mode, and the other is the on-off switch..

9. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Yes, Stephen James, that's exactly what the 2 toggles do. As far as wiring in a 5-way, if in fact that's the solution, I'd want someone familiar with this setup to do it. I've wired Strats, LP's, but with no Sustainer pickup wires going to the existing 3-way, wouldn't know what to do. The current #3 position should be nothing except for the Sustainer neck p/u which has it's own volume. Somehow that middle pup is active in pos. 2&3, and is perhaps getting in the way of the Sustainer signal. When the guitar is plugged in (to activate the Sus. p/u), & the volumes are all down, you can hear & feel the string vibrating, but a very strong feedback signal never evolves. I'll check that schematic out & get back to you. Perfect project for the quarantined, I s'pose~~

10. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

And thank you!!