Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fernandes ST-40

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by rondo barfly, Dec 4, 2017.

1. rondo barfly

rondo barfly New Member!

Dec 4, 2017
    Russia
    Hi everybody, I have a question about fernandes's strat st40-model. On an official website of fernades we can see in catalogs that st40-model's starts to made from 1985 and they was made by alder. So the question is how that information towards to the truth. As I know at 1985 the technology of building starts to changing and information in catalogs maybe faults or not so exact. Maybe they were made by basswood or plywood at the worst like it was with a korean squiers with black logos at 90th years. The serial number of guitar i'm looking starts from "L069". The guitar is black and the back of neck is black-coloured too. Back in black if to be short :) Does anybody knows something about that?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    FenderBNDR likes this.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You beat me to it - he's the ST Fernandes expert.

FenderBNDR and usul1978 like this.

4. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland
    I've had 2-3 ST40 guitars and none have been plywood.

You have to remember that in 85-86 Fernandes Burny production was still firmly based in Japan.

It's not unusual for the guitar to be finished in all black ad sometimes a matching black headstock. This is for aesthetics and not to hide any type of plywood. I also have several Fernandes Moon bass copies finished like this- one all black and the other two tone blue blue black and both with matching headstocks.

Now with that been said, there is no reason why specifications couldnt change or perhaps there were special large store chain commissioned models with plywood but I have never encountered one and I've had 100s of Fernandes through my hands. I have seen plywood used in some Japanese guitars but again never Fernandes.

Can you take the neck off? There may be a five digit code.

Also have you weiged the guitar?

5. rondo barfly

rondo barfly New Member!

Dec 4, 2017
    Russia
    FenderBNDR, thank you for answer. I'm thinking like you that fernadeses are mustn't to be made with plywood. Just somebody told me that's possible. But I guess those fernandes may be with basswood.

The guitar is remains in other city now and i'm planning to go there. I want to take the neck off and see the structure and colour of wood to conclude about type of wood. I'll ask a seller may he take the neck off singly without me to see the five digit code. Maybe he'll weigh the body at the same time. But I dont think that he will start going through the hassle with my requests. So before going on far distance i want to know maximum of theoretical information. If you allow i'll ask more questions.

Firstly, what do you think about possibility of basswod body? Maybe latest guitars near 1990th are going to be with basswood. The serial number is L069### and i don't know what's year of building is it. And may be you know how many pieces is body mate. Also i don't know where can i read about the difference between "the function" and "the limited" series. As I think the difference is in a tremolos with сast saddles on limited series and maybe there is something more differencies.

I almost forgot about difference in weight of alder and basswood body and the wood's bake. Is it natural or synthetic the last one. If you know something please tell.

6. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland
    Sorry about the delay. Your guitar should be made around 1986 although the serial number is less accurate method than the 5 digit code on the neck heel.

It could be plywood - anything is possible. Fernandes may have made special editions for music stores at a cheaper price but I have never seen any.

If it was plywood I dont think it would be an st-40 because 40=40000 yen which is excessive for a plywood guitar in 1986.

I'm not sure I understand the last point but if you look at some of the bare / exposed wood you will have a good idea if it is plywood or not. You can also weight it to.

Best of luck!