Join Strat-Talk Today

FIFA Women’s World Cup

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mansonienne, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

Mocking the Thai team? Fine sportsmanship there, Bud. Very much in keeping with the American girls' behavior yesterday.

2. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

Mansonienne likes this.
  3. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Some excellent points, well put.

4. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

One of the big problems I have with women's football (other than people who refer to professional, world class women athletes as "girls") is how its treated, STILL, as a campfire jamboree where everyone sits around and talks about togetherness and sings Spice Girls songs about girl power rather than treating it like...I dunno...a sport?

I cannot stand christen press. Loathe her....used to love her..why the change? Was it cause she cut her hair? Started wearing less makeup? No, its because when she was traded to the NWSL team I support (Houston Dash), she refused to report...held the team in limbo and basically disrespected the club. Same way I loathe phillipe coutinho and luis suarez after they similarly disrespected Liverpool on their way out and in a recent CL match. Yet, everyone seems shocked that I would hold press in similar regard for the same offense.

Mansonienne likes this.
  5. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't call it ugly, but much like when a boxer is clearly finished but the fight goes on for a while after.

6. Alan Crossley

I would just like to respond to the comments made in your recent retort Bob.

Firstly, I was not mocking the Thai women's football team. IT was my attempt at making a humerus comment on the clearl mismatch between the two teams.

Secondly, my name is Alan, nut bud. This is, I believe, more appropriate if you are choosing to address me by name.

Thirdly, my attempt at humour was intended to make light of the apparent lack of understanding by the US team.

I can't apologies if you don't appreciate or understand my sense of humour, but I can live with that.

I have placed an addendum to my original posting which I sincerely trust will provide you with some clarity to my posting.

7. Mansonienne

Check your inbox. PM=Private message

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

Clearly the difference is that this is football. It doesn't physically hurt a player when you score a goal. You aren't "bashing their heads in" any more than if you beat me in a game of HORSE.

You made more baskets than I did. You don't get to "S" and then start missing on purpose.

Your team takes the pitch, and it's "game on." To play less than your best, either side, is an insult to the game.

Besides, the US side employed the maximum number of substitute players. What more do you want?

BuddyHollywood and Mansonienne like this.
  9. Mansonienne

So, back to football.
    Looking forward to France-Norway tonight!

JayFreddy and bsman like this.
  10. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

The Canada side is going to be a problem.

Mansonienne likes this.
  11. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

FIFA Women's World Cup Football is THE BOMB.

The players are HOT and our team is pretty good!

What's NOT to like? Maybe that the games are during the day, when I gotta work. :( Thanks God for Sirius XM! :)

Mansonienne likes this.
  12. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I watched the highlights after seeing the high score, unusual for soccer anyway. I have no problem with a team keeping their foot on the gas pedal but the celebrations after each goal was a bit embarrassing to watch.

bsman and Mansonienne like this.
  13. Mansonienne

I’m just frustrated that some the matches (esp these early round games) are on a rather expensive cable channel I don’t subscribe to. For example, Germany-Spain. I’ll see if I can catch some of it on the Internet.

14. Mansonienne

Apparently some were first-ever World Cup goals, record-tying goals, etc. So I get the celebrations.
    I know how you feel, though.
    It kind of reminded me of Germany’s 7-0 thrashing of Brazil in the final (in Rio) a few years back. Watching, I remember thinking “ok, guys, that’s enough...” German fans in Rio felt they needed to be restrained in their celebrations, the Brazilians were so devastated.

sam_in_cali likes this.
  15. Alan Crossley

Hello Dick. I'm not entirely sure what you are saying, but wishing that I had not attempted to post (what I had believed to be) a humerus comment.

I'm fully cognisant that professional football, and all professional sport) is a game played with only one outcome in mind ~ to win, fairly and enthusiastically.

The number one American team are considered by many to be the most likely to win the tournament. The Thai team is, in the main, an amateur one who are unlikely to beet the number one US side. You're correct to point out that it would have been insulting for the US team not to play to their best. They probably have a get as many goals as possible to ensure that their final league position reflects their full ability. That they certainly did.

In answer to your question, I don't want or expect anything other than what happened. My only concern is that the small, less capable teams are not deterred from competing at this level. To my mind, they took their defeat in the way most Thai people would expect. They were dignified and gracious in defeat, which is how all true sports people should in defeat or victory.

I hope that we can perhaps move forward with a better, or more agreeable, understanding of our assessment of the outcome of these games.

16. Alan Crossley

Spill bra og nyt spillet.

It's Google translate not me Masonienne :eek:. I hope I'm not going to upset anyone :rolleyes:. Play well and enjoy the game:D

17. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

I didn't think the US team was gloating after each goal. They appeared genuinely excited. They have every reason to celebrate.

stratnutz, fretter and Mansonienne like this.
  18. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

A win against a minnow comprised of mainly amateurs in group play should hardly be that exciting for a team of seasoned professional players. I don't mind that we scored 13 goals against the hapless Thais, but still feel that the celebrations after goals number five and beyond (which would not have been out of place for goals in a WC final game during added time in the second half) were excessive and (to my mind) insulting to the competition.

Oh well, at least, after last week's disastrous USMNT "tune-ups" for the Gold Cup, it's nice to see a US team that doesn't look totally outcoached and outplayed!

19. Mansonienne

Watching Germany-Spain on ZDF ...don’t understand German..but that’s ok!;)

20. Mansonienne

I just have to say (probably because I’ve had 2 beers while watching ESP-DEU:)) that it makes me feel SOOO GOOD to watch women playing high-quality football on national television. And talking about it with you guys. And going to matches at a major Paris stadium. This just didn’t happen when I was a girl, and it makes me so proud and happy, and optimistic about the future!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.