Finally got a hair cut but

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Rudedawg, May 22, 2020.

1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

This. If you have a haircut without masks, your barber is inhaling the water droplets you exhale and vise versa. You and they stylist are breathing within a foot of each other. Hair stylists are putting their lives on the line, and if they catch Covid they're putting the lives of all their customers--and their customers families--on the line. I ain't goin near a hairstylist if at least one of us isn't wearing a mask. Not dentists, either.

Andrew Wasson and CigBurn like this.
  2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i've cut my own hair for years but got a real one a week and a half ago as part of a trade/barter deal.

3. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

As long as nobody sneezed on your face, is a mask really going to do much?

4. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-Talker

a mask will do quite a bit to lower the possibility of transmission to others when the person who sneezed is wearing a mask....that's the point of people wearing masks...not to protect yourself, but to protect others

Andrew Wasson and thomquietwolf like this.
  5. Hippieway

Hippieway Strat-Talker

We started working from home back in March, I started my 'Covid' Beard the day after they sent us home and I'll shave it the day before we go back June 15th. As for my long beautiful, shiney hair, I'll cut it but I'm in no hurry. Sure I look like I'm a 72 year old teenager but the hair cut restrictions were just lifted Friday so I'll give them some time to work out the kinks. I don't feel the need rush out there, and risk my family for something as minor as a hair cut. Long live the Cowsills.

Andrew Wasson and KillingTone like this.
  6. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

Yeah I understand, but if nobody sneezed or coughed I don't think a mask does much. Not saying there is no reason to wear one, or it isn't smart to wear one. I do find it a little strange to tell a person they should feel guilty. Likely no harm done, if your wife isn't mad at you I think you're good to go.

7. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

since I can’t cut and paste it, I’ll describe a funny illustration I saw somewhere. Imagine everyone is walking around naked and peeing. Everyone gets piss on each other. Now imagine half the people out on pants. They’re not pissing on others but still get pissed on by the naked. Now imagine everyone is wearing pants. Nobody’s getting anybody else’s piss on them.

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-O-Master

I hadn't had a haircut since the week after Christmas. I was getting ready to go when or lockdown went into effect. To say the least, it was needed. I made an appointment and got one yesterday (see my post above). I felt as comfortable as you can, all things given, especially when you consider the supermarkets and big box stores.

I took my family out to eat at a very fancy local restaurant Sunday night. We were the only people in the dinning room and a couple of other groups were on the patio. The staff was masked and gloved and there was hand sanitizer at every table. We felt protected and cared about. A pleasant evening all in all.

thomquietwolf and Deafsoundguy like this.
  9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

It really does. Just normal breathing (nevermind a cough or sneeze) you exhale water droplets, they're too small to see but big enough to contain bacteria and viruses. These mostly drop to the ground within seconds and rarely travel more than 6 feet. With the mask, most of the water droplets you exhale get caught in the mask, the ones that don't travel only a foot or so. A mask You wear keeps germs in your body from getting in theirs. Kinda like @guitarface said, if you're peeing while you have pants on, you only get it on yourself.

This is very closely related to the reason surgeons wear masks. They're trying to avoid putting germs they exhale into a surgery wound.

A mask also prevents you touching your own mouth and nose with your hands, which is really the main way viruses spread. You touch things with your hands all the time--doorknobs, checkout counters, whatever. If somebody's been breathing right next to that, the water droplets they exhale end up on it, and on your hands. Which you then deposit in your mouth or nose or eyes.

Coughing & sneezing is a different circumstance. An uncovered sneeze can send particles up to 25 feet; a cough is usually much less. With a mask on, even a powerful sneeze doesn't send particles more than about 6 feet. Of course nobody plans to sneeze, it's involunary. Hence the recommendation of 6 feet AND masks.

If somebody sneezes in your face, only a full face shield will protect you. Virus that gets in your eyes can easily infect the rest of your body.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  10. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

It is and will be mandatory for them as well here in Connecticut but they are still closed for another to weeks.

11. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-Talker

If it were up to me, i wouldn't cut my hair for at least another year, my wife is ok with me having it long too...its just my job, people give me the grief when my hair starts to get long and i end up cutting it because of them...how messed up is that!...i'm hoping to keep it going when i eventually return, but we'll see how that goes

12. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

That's awesome to hear! I bring up the oral surgeon aspect because I was just there!

They never told me to wear a mask coming in, but I suspected they'd want me to so I did. And, I was right, they DID require anyone entering to wear a mask but didn't state that. They did the whole route, had me put in writing that I didn't have conditions, blah blah blah which is TOTALLY understandable from health and legal standpoints. And of course as I was expecting, OH JUST KEEP THE PEN... So no one there had a mask on in the office part. But when I got into the room for examination of my lovely chompers and to see how that latest implant was doing (no not Borg implant), the 2 gals were wearing masks and the doc was too. So I have to sit there with a mask on and then when the time comes I have to remove it for examination so they can all get right up on my top exit hole. At that point, I can't help to think what's the point? But oh well it is what it is and there's no other way they can work in my mouth. I'm certainly not worried about it, we've had very few cases here compared to other places less fortunate.

13. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

You got a hair cut? You should have gotten them all cut. heh heh.

14. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    What does the MS Dept of Health provide as guidelines or rules? I would be very surprised if they don't mandate masks and other PPE for close contact like barbers.

Yes, you should not have stayed. If you've been married for that long, that puts you squarely in the age group that should be concerned more than most.

15. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

My hair is long but it’s beginning to bother me as it’s getting really too long. But I’m not having it cut until it’s safe out there

16. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-Talker

Well, she went to her cut & color appointment after all so I can blame her now. If she croaks first I can't play her piano but if I croak before her someone else will enjoy all my guitars & amps.:(

17. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

A lot of possible inferences that can be made from your observations but I think it boils down to 2 words: Foolishly Macho. Whether they are tough, or not bright, or have no TV, they just WON'T. And a lot will wish they had when they get the virus. Reminds me of the old refusal to ask directions when lost, back in the old medieval days of using travel maps. Only a lot more dangerous consequences.

It would be really interesting to know out of the 1.6M or so US citizens who contacted the virus, how many used a mask regularly and how many did not. And the gender distribution in those 2 groups.

18. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I have an appointment in a week. Everyone will wear masks and gloves and social distancing will be respected. I think they'll leave the door open, too.

19. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

My guy is opening up next week. Social distancing in place, everyone wears a mask, no food or coffee allowed inside. I’m looking forward to catching up with him. He’s a cool guy, likes music and rides a vintage BSA motorbike.

20. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

Barber shops open here on Monday. I understand masks for barbers and those waiting. I’m wondering how it works in the chair. Do the barbers have to work around the straps? Could lead to some interesting haircuts.:D