Join Strat-Talk Today

Finally Moved That Volume Knob Down A Step

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by voskarp, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voskarp

voskarp Strat-Talk Member

Well, I agree the 'Kr&@$£' was a bit unnecessary. Even though it'd hurt my pinkie a lot of times.;)

When you flip the Tele control plate, the volume knob ends up more like where the Strat upper tone knob is...:whistling: Leo made it right the FIRST time!:p

SAguitar likes this.
  2. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Btw, players in the 60s and 70s invented many of the guitar mods that are popular or experimented with today. They certainly didn’t invent the idea of changing the guitar to fit their needs better though - that’s as old as the guitar.

Zeekrider, The Strat Dude and voskarp like this.
  3. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Fight the power! Move the volume knob!

hamboner, voskarp and sgarnett like this.
  4. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Is that the “Making Movies” version from mk-guitar?

5. riplead

riplead Strat-Talk Member

I've heard of people putting a felt washer under the knob to give it more resistance so you don't accidentally hit it while you're playing and change the volume. It sounds like it would work. I just got pickguard from warmoth and drilled the hole where I wanted it.

[​IMG]

Zeekrider and Mike Stone like this.
  6. Mike Stone

Mike Stone Strat-Talk Member

Yep that vol pot is certainly in the way for me too. My guitar is on the left side, never mind that other fake guitar ;)
    54B8420F-188E-4483-983C-4A14519522D6.jpeg

Zeekrider, voskarp and fattboyzz like this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Just put the knob back, it won’t matter if you continue to clip it occasionally, being just a dummy. It’ll also retain the appearance of a normal Strat.

Bob the builder likes this.
  8. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

Only because you asked...That's the short bus for strat players.

SAguitar and Andrew Wasson like this.
  9. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

You can put one of those bullet hole stickers over the hole...

[​IMG]

Zeekrider and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I palm mute on my Strat, Tele, 335 and on Les Paul's, PRS and every other guitar I have ever owned and have never had a problem hitting a volume knob. Why would it be so hard to palm mute and not hit your fingers on the knobs? While palm muting it's not like you're going all wind mill PT style. Your hand should stay fairly anchored and the pick strokes should be fairly tight and short so hitting the volume knob seems like sloppy picking hand technique to me when palm muting.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

It isn't hard. It's easy. It requires paying attention at first, then it becomes habit. If you hit the knob, then you don't know what you're doing. It's that simple.

12. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

I'm not understanding how the palm muting problems are anything other than a technique inefficiency. Is the bridge a must have "crutch" in your PM technique?If you can only palm mute using the bridge as an anchor you're limiting what's available for you to work with.

I have no problems with anybody moving knobs around but, personally, I'd feel like the guitar had defeated me in some way if I had to deviate from the knob alignment my heroes could handle and use.

That being said, maybe Hendrix preferred his flipped because he hated banging knobs on a lefty.

Stratoskater and fattboyzz like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Play how you want to .

Modify what you want to.

Just tell people it's your guitar theory :whistling:

Zeekrider and voskarp like this.
  14. fezz parka

0723191749.jpg

0723191749a.jpg

Palm muting 101 on a Strat.

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. voskarp

To whom it might concern...

I know that putting the 'Kr&@$£ Volume Knob' in the title was a bit of a trolling "click bait"- thing, but I though it was funny. So I'm sorry for the stirred feelings.

I believe that saying "you're just lazy if you don't adapt and learn the right technique" because you're not comfortable with a certain detail of the stock guitar, is the same as to say that a left handed player is just lazy and should adapt to "normal" guitars.

Would you say that?

I started to play guitar 35 years ago or so, almost exclusively acoustic guitars, with no knobs or switches. That's what I'm used to.

3-4 years ago I bought a Telecaster and started playing electric guitar on a regular basis. I got used to that one, and I really liked playing it (at first having trouble with hitting the switch now and then, so I removed the top hat. Put it back later, though).

A year ago I decided that I needed a Stratocaster too, so I pieced one together as I wanted it, only to find that the volume knob placement bothered me. I tried to live with it and adapt for about a year. Going back and forth between the Tele and Strat to acoustic to Strat again, that little knob still bothered me, so I decided to remove it.

That made me so much happier with my Strat so I wrote here about it.

I do get that the ease of adjusting the volume, doing swells etc. is a sweet thing that many especially enjoy the Strat for, and that's good.

I do like the instruments to be kind of classic correct, but with some mods that make them even more your guitar. I modded the Tele with a neck humbucker and S-1 for split coils (out of phase with bridge).

I'm right now building a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, and it will surely get some mods too...

Enjoy your guitars, however you like them!
    /Mod-Pride!

:D:D:D

hamboner, jaycoyoyo and Zeekrider like this.
  16. Stratoskater

That is 1,000,000 times worse than moving a volume knob on a Strat. The 5e3 is perfect the way it is and everything about it (including the pine cabinet) is a major part of the 5e3 sound. If you are building a 5e3 I'm guessing it's because you want the iconic tones it produces right? If so why would you mess with it? Have you ever played a 5e3? Do you know how the two volumes and the tone interact to give everything from mid scooped Black Face tones to mid pushed to super great jazz tone then all the way to fuzzy grinding Neil tones and everything in between. This is all before using your guitar volume control (which you moved out of easy reach :D) to add even more tones to your sonic pallet. I can safely say after 30 years of playing pretty much every type of amp out there (including an actual Dumble) that there is no other amp I know of with such a wide range of sounds as a 5e3.

Most every time I read someone on a forum saying they want to mod a 5e3 it turns out they have never played one themselves and "think" they need to mod it for some reason. In the end it's your amp and you can do what you like.

17. Stratoskater

No this is not even remotely the same as telling a lefty they should play righty. That has nothing to do with technique, and yes even thought many don't want to hear it there actually are proper techniques for strumming, fretting, etc. Now I am not saying that breaking from these techniques will make a player bad, just saying there are proper techniques for playing a guitar. The fact that you say you hit the Tele switch clearly shows it is a technique issue. It's likely coming from your acoustic background and the big strums many tend to use with an acoustic. The electric guitar has a pickup and an amp to make your sound, you do not need to take big swipes with the pick to make it louder like you do on an acoustic. Many of the heaviest and loudest guys you will find have very compact picking strokes which allows for much greater precision and efficiency.

18. fezz parka

LOL. That is all.

voskarp and Stratoskater like this.
  19. voskarp

I'm building the Deluxe from a kit, so I'm afraid it comes with a plywood cabinet, and I doubt it would sound exactly like a vintage one anyway.

I will build it stock to start with (except a L-pad with a bypass switch between amp and speaker). And when I played it for a while (like with the Strat.) I will consider making modifications to it, if I find the need. Knowing myself quite well, I probably will. After advice from other builders I prepared it for a negative feedback mod to put in, if I wish.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  20. fezz parka

FWIW...I'm not LOL'ing at Rob.

I mod all of my Teles. I flip the plate so the volume knob is easier to reach since I use it more than the switch.

If you're hitting something because it's "in the way"...It's a technique thing. I play a 355 or Les Paul differently than I do a Tele or Strat. They all require a slightly different approach. ;)

As far as the 5e3 goes, if you mod it, its not a 5e3 anymore. Best amp ever made IMO. If I could only choose one amp to play through, the 5e3 is it.

Stratoskater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.